PDA

View Full Version : New start

spacekitton
05-29-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm still new to writing. I began thinking I could write something publishable in no time. But after receiving humbling critiques for a few shorts and flash fictions, I realized I'm only drooling, and need to learn to crowl before I can run a marathon!

So, I've been alocating more of my time on reading, because I think I can't write good if I didn't know what good writing is. So I've been reading what's considered to be the best works of each genre. Also reading classics, because I figure that, like in architecture or paintings, you need to know what was before to fully appreciate what is now.

Before, my goal was to publish a short in a ezine. To do this I've come up with a new smaller goal; win a contest at writing.com, and to keep writing and getting good grades in my writing class. And meanwhile to keep reading so I know what's good writing, and to become more familiar with English.

Pike
05-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Hey Spacekitton,

I've been at this for about ten years the first seven or so I spun my wheels and dinked around, typical guy y'know. Now I'm starting to get somewhere, but don't use me as a baseline. Some folks might move slower - though I doubt it - and others take to it quicker. And, by all means, READ!

Grab up every book, short story collection, how-to's, anything that exlempifies writing because that is your sworn craft. And thank your stars you found a place like AW. There's lots of folks here that will help you, guide you, correct you, and help you back up when you fall. This place is a gem.

Good luck on your contest and all future endeavors.

Pike

spacekitton
05-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Thank you for encouraging words.

Claudia Gray
05-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Good for you! That's absolutely the right attitude.