• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Prologue question please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you have a passage out of your book as the prologue? Verbatium?
There's a passage( 2 paragraphs) in my work at the beginning of a later chapter that I'd like to have as prologue. Doable?

Also, just asking this....does a period always come before which?
Thnks
kimmi

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
The prologue in Water For Elephants is a passage from near the end of the book. If it's not verbatim, it's very close.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, just asking this....does a period always come before which?
No, not always.

My understanding (American English):

When it's a which/that issue, yes, the which gets a comma, and the that doesn't. (Example: I picked up the gun, which was sitting on the table, and shot him. --- versus ---- I picked up the gun that was sitting on the table and shot him.)

However, when the which/that isn't defining a descriptor of the object, you don't use a comma. (Example: Can you tell me which gun Unimportant used to shoot him?)

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I am relatively new to this writing correctly business but this is how I see it.

I thought a prologue was an event or explanation of circumstances that leads up to your story that we need to know before chapter one begins. It is kept to the minimum and should drag us into the story. Therefore, I can't see how snippets of a later chapter would be needed as a prologue.

The period before 'which' has got me confused too. I just don't understand your question.

JJ

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Actually it is better to say "I picked up the gun sitting on the table" or "I picked the gun up off the table" or ...?
Which and that are those words consistently plucked out over each successive edit of a draft.
My copyeditors took many of my carefully placed commas out.
In some instances my agent put one in, my editor took it out and the copyeditor put it back in! I kid you not! In my next work I am NOT wasting any of my hard earned creative energy on commas.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks above guys, my stupid Word keeps trying to throw a period before every which, but I pretty well know about some which's.
:smacks forehead:

Prologue yeah or nay to sample of later paragraph....it would work good?

thanks

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One more question--Does the prologue start at top of page or centered in middle.
Thank you

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I finally figured out when a period goes before "which." (Yeah, it's been bugging me.)

If which is in the middle of a sentence, referring back to the prior clause, which is what we were all thinking of, then of course it's a comma.

But, if there's a comma splice, and the "which" is actually the beginning of a QUESTION that asks for a choice -- Which dress looked better? -- then there would be a period at the end of the preceding sentence.

As to the prologue, my theory is "just say no to prologues" (and there's a whole thread on the pros and cons of prologues here, if you do a search on "prologues"). Taking a piece out of a later segment of the story is done occasionally, but there are some real drawbacks to doing that.

If you absolutely have to have a prologue, format it the same way you'd format the first chapter.

JD

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
I thought a prologue was an event or explanation of circumstances that leads up to your story that we need to know before chapter one begins. It is kept to the minimum and should drag us into the story. Therefore, I can't see how snippets of a later chapter would be needed as a prologue.JJ

Agreed. I used a prologue format because I had one critical event that took place many months before the time line of the rest of the novel. I did not want the reader to miss that the event took place long before. One agent told me that unless there is a very good reason (as in my case), don't use a prologue, just start with the first chapter.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
A prologue--if you absolutely MUST have one--is formatted the same as the rest of the manuscript: left hand justified, double-spaced.

icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.