PSA: the movie "Bug"

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I feel it's my duty to warn everyone about this movie. The trailers looked really good, but the movie is SO different than what we were led to expect -- and not in a good way.

In all fairness there were some good things about the movie, the women were interesting & had some good lines, but it's definitely not worth watching the whole thing (& paying theater prices) to see them.

SPOILER ALERT:

This film is a GREAT example of why "but it could happen that way" should be a HUGE warning for any writer. If I ever start justifying any of my writing with that phrase, I hope I'll remember this movie & stop!

[One more chance to avoid the spoiler. :)]

Sure, horror films are creepy at least in part because they could happen (by some stretch of the imagination). This movie not only "could" happen, it has happened many times in real life. And that's the punchline, that's the big reveal -- there are no bugs. THAT's what's so "disturbing"!! The guy's untreated mental illness, not bugs that live under people's skin. ARGH! I wanted to strangle someone at the end of this movie. You don't promise a modern monster movie & deliver a Movie of the Week drama, I don't care how much blood you splatter!! Everyone sitting within my earshot was talking about wanting a refund -- some before the movie was over. Grrrrr, what a waste of time. Even the sex scene was bad. (If you can call that a sex scene.)

It's like the movie They, only the alternate ending where it's all in her mind is the real ending. :p

I wouldn't even call this a Horror film.

Okay, I'll stop now. This is all my opinion, YMMV.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I feel it's my duty to warn everyone about this movie. The trailers looked really good, but the movie is SO different than what we were led to expect -- and not in a good way.

Okay, I'll stop now. This is all my opinion, YMMV.

Actually... The trailers didn't look that good at all.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
When I saw the trailer I picked up on there were no bugs---i'm pretty good at deciphering movies for some reason... even though I like William Friedkin--why on earth did he do this? Maybe he was desperate...who knows.

But I have no desire to see Bug

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
This one probably ticked me off so much because I'm jonesin' for a good horror flick. Something like Hostel or Descent, with a surprise or two. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Hopefully Hostel 2 won't be a let-down like 28 Weeks Later.