Successful First Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been obsessing over the opening lines of my novel. I’ve tried like mad to make them fascinating, or at least so interesting it makes the reader want to read on.

This morning I let someone read the first page of my book. She said, "It’s good, but the first line doesn’t really paint a picture in my head. I, of course, started to cry agreed it could be stronger. It can always be stronger, right?

After she left I started to wonder just how scintillating the opening lines published books have. So I hopped over to Amazon.com to find out. I didn’t break a sweat or anything; I just took a quick look through the books they were flogging for summer. I thought you might also want to peek at them, for comfort or misery only you can decide.

Mine, because I’m a masochist that way:

Time: it was the one thing they had in unending supply, and the one thing they were running out of. Even for people with time machines, Murphy's Law still applied.

And a bunch of books that are successfully published:

It was the first game of the season at Florida Field, and in typical fashion the Gators had scheduled something less than a fearsome opponent.

I’ve been cordially invited to join the visceral realists. I accepted, of course. There was no initiation ceremony. It was better that way.

A killer in waiting, Fred Brinkley slumps in the blue-upholstered banquette on the upper deck of the ferry.

Tap-tapping the keys and out come the words on this little screen, and who will read them I hardly know.

It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs. Shears’s house. Its eyes were closed.

In what was to have been the future, Ansel rolled toward her, half awake, half forgetful.

We’ll begin our story with Jody. She had lived on the block in her studio apartment since college, a luxurious accommodation at the time, certainly compared to the dorm room she was leaving.

The snow started to fall several hours before her labor began.

I was unconscious. I’d stopped breathing. I don’t know how long it lasted, but the engines and drivers that keep the human machine functioning at a mechanical level must have trip-switched, responding to the stillness with a general systems panic. Autopilot failure - switch to emergency manual override.

I never wanted to be a mother. Even when I was a girl playing dolls with my sisters, I assumed the role of the good Aunt Claudia.

The Shreveport vampire bar would be opening late tonight.

Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.

I was not there, yet I was there. No, I did not go to the trial, I did not hear the verdict, because I knew all the time what it would be.

Two lonely figures came down from the high mountains. They were dressed in travel-worn furs and leather helmets with ear flaps strapped beneath their chins against the cold.

"How long did it take them to die?"
The man this question was posed to didn’t seem to hear it.

Let me tell you of the worlds I’ve left behind.

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. :tongue

Last edited:

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
My most recent favorite:

Dinnie, an overweight enemy of humanity, was the worst violinist in New York, but was practicing gamely when two cute little fairies stumbled through his fourth-floor window and vomited on the carpet.

--The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar

And yeah. I've rewritten the first lines of my WIP about a million times. Sucks, doesn't it?

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, most of my favorite books don't have really memorable opening lines. The only one I can remember is from the last book I read that I thought was really great, which is Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again."
(Rebecca, Daphne DuMaurier)

It's the only book I've bought purely for the first line, and I still haven't seen one to beat it. There's so much longing and something very lyrical about it.

Jordygirl

Nothing doing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redthebook.blogspot.com
I happen to have a bunch of books sitting on my bed right now, so I figure what's the harm in posting the first lines of them here? Okay, okay, first sentences.

The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.

Before anyone reading this thinks to call me a slut - or even just imagines I'm incredibly popular - let me point out that this list includes absolutely every single boy I have ever had the slightest little any-kind-of-anything with.

That summer, at a bar on Mertie Creek, two truckers by the names of Saddle Tramp and Mad Dog emerged from a night of drinking booze and listening to Kenny Chesney on the jukebox to find girls' underwear - one thong, one Days of the Week (Sunday), and one monkey face - lying across their windsheilds.

Dear Ginger, I have never been a great follower of rules.

I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear.

It's funny how one summer can change everything.

These are all from YA books, as you can probably tell. My favorite line is the last one, about the summer. But the funniest line is undoubtably the first.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how some of the best books have less-than memorable beginnings. Looking through the stack of some of my favs, I learn a lot. One: in the snappiest, catchiest, hookiest beginnings, a character is mentioned, or an action relating to the character. A pity saying.

None involve weather.

Except 1984. (Though Winston does appear in the second sentence). "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." Considering that this book was written in 1949, I'll allow it. But, do you think a modern editor would ask the Orwell to rewrite it? The whole first paragraph is him waking up and getting out of bed. Even in a dystopian society, that's not all that interesting.

Others:

I am in a car park in Leeds when I tell my husband I don't want to be married to him anymore.

Shadow had done three years in prison.

They call me King Dork.

All this happened, more or less.

I'm thinking that everything, or at least the part of everything that happened to me, started with the Roman architecture mix-up.

In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.

I am riding the bicycle and I am on Route 31 in Monument, Massachusetts, on my way to Rutterburg, Vermont, and I'm pedaling furiously because this is an old-fashioned bike, no speeds, no fenders, only the warped tires and the brakes that don't always work and the handlebars with cracked rubber grips to steer with.

And the most interesting one to me is the one written over a hundred years ago, so I guess it goes to show that while styles and trends may change, good storytelling is good storytelling is good storytelling. And Mark Twain rules always.

julief

Hardly here
Registered
Reaction score
I may be paraphrasing, but the best opening line I've ever seen--as far as an 'okay, now I gotta read this thing'--has to be Toni Morrison's Paradise:
They shot the white girl first.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a real Dicken's fan, but one of the most memorable opening lines ever surely has to be...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, ...

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Time: it was the one thing they had in unending supply, and the one thing they were running out of. Even for people with time machines, Murphy's Law still applied.

It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs. Shears’s house. Its eyes were closed.

Melody, of all those you listed, the two above would catch my interest the quickest.

-Ziljon

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Why, Ziljon?

Of the opening lines that have been listed that have caught your [generic your] interest, what is it about them that appeals to you?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
The last book I read started like this:

My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Only after reading the entire book does it become clear (at least to me) just how absolutely perfect that opening line is.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite:

"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish."

(The sentence could use a comma, but I'm not one to argue with Hemingway.)

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
The one first line that made me instantly purchase a book.

My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups, in chronological order:

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
My favorites are:

We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.

and

They threw me off the hay truck around noon.

It's amazing how so few words can say so much about voice, conflict, setting, and character.

Also, here's a great post from Anne Mini's blog that details a very scary conference workshop about first pages of novels. There's a wonderful, terrifying list detailing several agents' likes and dislikes about first pages and first lines.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
The one first line that made me instantly purchase a book.

My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups, in chronological order:

Nick Hornby! High Fidelity! Love it.

It was an almost exact experience with me and his Long Way Down: Can I explain why I wanted to jump off the top of a tower block? Of course I can explain why I wanted to jump off the top of a tower block. I'm not a bloody idiot. I can explain it because it wasn't inexplicable: It was a logical decision, the product of proper thought.

After that, I HAD to buy it.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Why, Ziljon?

Of the opening lines that have been listed that have caught your [generic your] interest, what is it about them that appeals to you?

Sorry for the delayed response, Birol. I can't say why, really. It's just the way I am. It's actually the way I decide to write something; I try to know what it is I'm looking for when I go into the library (or bookstore) and open up every book. I'm looking for something, we all are, we just don't always know exactly.

Personally, I'm very interested in time, and in animals, so those two openings caught my attention.

-Ziljon

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
"Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't remember." - Albert Camus, The Outsider.

It says it all without getting into any physical reactions such as crying, being stunned etc.
As far as I'm concerned, remembering a first line over forty years after it was written shows it is impactful. For all the use of active voice, I don't think I'll remember any of the first lines of present day novels.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response, Birol. I can't say why, really. It's just the way I am. It's actually the way I decide to write something; I try to know what it is I'm looking for when I go into the library (or bookstore) and open up every book. I'm looking for something, we all are, we just don't always know exactly.

Personally, I'm very interested in time, and in animals, so those two openings caught my attention.

-Ziljon

I'm asking, less than what you're interested in, what is it about the crafting of the lines that have been quote that make them "good" or "memorable"?

Take the line from Camus' The Stranger that Janet just quoted for example. There's a fact about it that many American-English speakers may not know and that's that the word "Maman" is the child's way of referring to their mother in French. It was a deliberate choice on the part of the translators not to change that single word. (I believe early translations did change it to 'Mother,' but it was felt that something was lost.)

What is it about that word choice that makes it so memorable, even when the reader does not understand the full import of it because it's from another language, another culture? What is it that makes it work?

Why can most people quote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." even when they've never read A Tale of Two Cities?

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Camus opening line works because everybody has a mother and can imagine how they would feel if she died. The line shows grief induced confusion and numbness without actually saying that. It allows the reader to place herself in the place of the speaker. It does not tell the reader what to feel, or even to show it by dragging us through descriptions of emotion. It respects t he reader and allows her to make her own conclusions about how the speaker is feeling.

I'm asking, less than what you're interested in, what is it about the crafting of the lines that have been quote that make them "good" or "memorable"?

Take the line from Camus' The Stranger that Janet just quoted for example. There's a fact about it that many American-English speakers may not know and that's that the word "Maman" is the child's way of referring to their mother in French. It was a deliberate choice on the part of the translators not to change that single word. (I believe early translations did change it to 'Mother,' but it was felt that something was lost.)

What is it about that word choice that makes it so memorable, even when the reader does not understand the full import of it because it's from another language, another culture? What is it that makes it work?

Why can most people quote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." even when they've never read A Tale of Two Cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.