PDA

View Full Version : Best book?

P.C Greene
05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey, im currently sat here bored, bottle of pepsi in one hand, and a family sized pack of skittles in the other.

I was wondering, as i not currently reading anything, what is the best book you've read.

I would like a new book, but am unsure of which to get.

So, whats your faveroute?

benbradley
05-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, you might look in people's profiles and see what their favorite books are.

While you're waiting for some full-length reading material, you might find these entertaining:

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ab.ca/mnkyspaw.htm
http://www.cs.ru.nl/~freek/books/thunder.sat

Bufty
05-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh dear. Bored again, Christopher? Isn't life hard?

Try The Elements of Style by Strunk and White for a start, friend.

Hey, im currently sat here bored, bottle of pepsi in one hand, and a family sized pack of skittles in the other.

I was wondering, as i not currently reading anything, what is the best book you've read.

I would like a new book, but am unsure of which to get.

So, whats your faveroute?

JJ Cooper
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Why don't you write a short story.

JJ

Little Red Barn
05-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Why don't you write a short story.

JJ
I like that, you could rent a movie then write a story!;)

justpat
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Here are a few of my favorites. They are also very well written, so a must read for any author. (in no particular order)

"Perfume" by Patrick Suskind
"Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
"Tides of War" by Steven Pressfield

ChaosTitan
05-27-2007, 07:00 PM
"Watership Down," by Richard Adams
"The LA Quartet" by James Ellory (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, and White Jazz)
"Roots" by Alex Haley

Those should keep you quite busy for a while. ;)

Toothpaste
05-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I am totally all over Naomi Novik's series about Temeraire, "His Majesty's Dragon" is the first. Awesome story about fighting the Napoleonic wars with dragons (and Peter Jackson has bought the film rights to all three books!) Even if you aren't a fantasy buff, there is still tons to love!

alleycat
05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Here's an oddball suggestion. If you've never read Moby Dick, give it a try. I didn't read it for years because, of course, everyone knows the story ("yeah, yeah, yeah, the guy is looking for a white whale because it bit his leg off; what an idiot"), plus I'd seen the movie with Gregory Peck, plus I was expecting it to be dry and moralistic. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was none of those things (although it is a bit long).

I'm currently reading Straight Cut by Madison Smartt Bell and am enjoying it (I've only read a few chapters).

Another idea would be to get one of the books written by someone who's a member here at AW. For example, one of our members just got his book The Gentle Axe reviewed by the New York Times.

P.C Greene
05-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Here's an oddball suggestion. If you've never read Moby Dick, give it a try. I didn't read it for years because, of course, everyone knows the story ("yeah, yeah, yeah, the guy is looking for a white whale because it bit his leg off; what an idiot"), plus I'd seen the movie with Gregory Peck, plus I was expecting it to be dry and moralistic. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was none of those things (although it is a bit long).

I'm currently reading Straight Cut by Madison Smartt Bell and am enjoying it (I've only read a few chapters).

Another idea would be to get one of the books written by someone who's a member here at AW. For example, one of our members just got his book The Gentle Axe reviewed by the New York Times.

Any suggestions on who i could ask?? And who got their book reviewed and do you have a link where i could purchase it from? Thanks.

alleycat
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Any suggestions on who i could ask?? And who got their book reviewed and do you have a link where i could purchase it from? Thanks.
There is a list of books published by AW members around here somewhere.

Here's the link to Roger's announcement about his NYT book review: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65267

It's published by Penguin US, so you should be able to get it in about any larger bookstore. My local library had three copies (I've got it on request).

Toothpaste
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
There is an AW library section at the top of the board. It's here, have a gander! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91