PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

laurenem6
05-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Just saw this movie yesterday and loved it. Anyone else see it? Love it? Hate it? Got a favorite part?

Warning: this thread will have spoilers.

ChunkyC
05-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Greatest movie ever put on film? Not by a long shot.

Entertaining? You bet.

maestrowork
05-26-2007, 09:33 PM
It's popcorn. It's eye candy. It's a fun romp. It's a nonsensical head-trip. It's like a cartoon. Pure suspension of disbelief.

To sum up to the plot:

Everyone betrays everyone and they make amends and then they betray each other again.

laurenem6
05-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Ha yeah, that's a good summary!

mkcbunny
05-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I would have cut out the Chow Yun-Fat character altogether, as well as the Shanghai business, and cut most of the extended action scenes in half. I enoyed it for the fun aspects, and the crowd [way more little kids than I expected] loved it. But it was just too long for what it was. I felt like those ships circled that maelstrom for 20 minutes. Oh wait, they did.

Enjoyed the ending. It all kind of came around to the beginning again.

And don't get me wrong, Chow Yun-Fat is hot. I just thought his character was extraneous and dull, and it didn't show off his best attributes. And one thing the series didn't need was another character. I was glad they kind of cleaned slate at the end of this one.

Anne Lyle
05-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, what was all that blather about Elizabeth being Calypso? Was it meant to be a red herring? It felt to me like an alternative plotline that should have been consigned to the cutting-room floor but got left in by mistake. About the only thing it achieved was to make me guess Will's ultimate fate...

Not enough sword-fighting in this one, frankly, and it was definitely too long. Also not sure why it was necessary to cut Will's heart out (apart from it being miffic and all that) - I thought that was something Davy Jones did himself to try and stop himself from loving Calypso. Maybe the writers overdid it by trying to combine the "Flying Dutchman" story and the "Achieving Invulnerability by Removing One's Heart/Soul and Hiding It" motif found in so many folktales.

Overall, I enjoyed it - but the first is still the best.

maestrowork
05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I would have cut out the Chow Yun-Fat character altogether, as well as the Shanghai business,

Yeah, what was all that blather about Elizabeth being Calypso? Was it meant to be a red herring?

I so agree. Chow Yun-Fat was wasted and his character was unnecessary. Besides, they had to go ALL THE WAY to Singapore (and how did they get there?) just to get a ship and a crew? And all they got was a Junk and some lousy Chinese seamen? That just doesn't make sense. And yeah, the thing about Calypso is so dumb, and then when he got killed, what did he do? He made her Captain. Like, what? This guy has chemical imbalance.

As a long-time fan, I'm quite disappointed.

ALLWritety
05-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Ahoy me Hearties,

I loved the movie for the entertianment factor but there were a couple of things that got me!! I too would have cut stuff out to have made one movie instead of 2!!!

1) WHy the big build up for the pirates to chosse to fight then they ended up just sitting there at sea fishing while only the black pearl and the main ship from the Trading Co. fought!! WHAT GIVES MAN???? I was looking forward to a major sea battle!!!!

2) The ending was not fully to my liking. I thought that Will's Dad maybe would have taken over the Flying Dutchman by putting the knife through the heart to save his son. However i guess he been dead 'n' all couldn't do that.
WHy didn't Sparrow save Will & Liz instead of just Liz? I guess in the end that had to be the ending coz PofC 2 & 3 were all about D Jones & Calypso and that she never turned up after the 10 years where as Liz did turn up for Will coz of TRUE LOVE!!!! Arrr! Anint that sweet!

Kev

Just Me
05-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I saw Pirates 3 two days ago and I'm still smiling about it and waiting for the DVD so I can watch it any time I want. ::catches breath:: This will NOT be the most coherent review; I can't talk about this movie without feeling like I'm on a sugar rush. And no, the plot doesn't always make sense (especially if you commit the sin of thinking about it too hard instead of just enjoying the action -- shame on you!), but PoTC 3 was a really fun ride.

I went in expecting a good time. For my money, I got a GREAT time that included lots of explosions and swordfights and romance and humor and surprises and shirtless Johnny Depp -- everything I wanted and more! (What can I say? I'm easy to please!)

I loved the way it ended (the post-credits Easter egg included... so sweet!) because I'm a hopeless romantic like that. And it's so cool that for Jack and Barbossa, things ended up, well, pretty much where they started. *g* I couldn't think of a more fitting conclusion that still leaves room for a fourth movie. I hope they don't make one, though, just because #3 ends things on such a high note.

~JM. :D

laurenem6
05-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I loved the movie but I'm still really not sure what the point of the whole Calypso subplot was. Especially the part with Elizabeth. But they had to make her the King of Pirates somehow, didn't they? I thought that was really odd. Yes, I understand she was the one who left Davy Jones and made him cut out his heart, but we didn't really need to know who that was. Her only real point was to create the whirlpool (which didn't really make sense either. I mean, it just ended when Davy Jones died? Why didn't she just go up and eat him or something instead of waiting for someone to stab the heart?). I would have rather seen her stay the crazy witch lady.

I liked the ending. I wasn't expecting Will to become Davy Jones. I thought it was going to be Barbossa, that way he and Jack would stop fighting about the Pearl. But that kinda changed after Will got stabbed.

Did anyone else think Will was really odd in this movie with the changing sides and everything? His dad was never more important than Elizabeth, and I'm not sure why he didn't try to confront her after she killed Jack.

maestrowork
05-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure why he didn't try to confront her after she killed Jack.

He didn't know Elizabeth killed Jack. He thought Elizabeth was in love with Jack and Jack stayed behind to save them... so he was both feeling guilty about letting Jack die and jealous about Elizabeth loving Jack. At the end of the last movie, he just thought Elizabeth was distrought because Jack had died -- but in fact, she was feeling guilty about killing Jack.

At the beginning of this movie, he said that he and Elizabeth hadn't talked for months. He set off to steal the chart, and she went with Barbossa to find Sen Feng (I still don't understand the whole Shanghai part -- seems rather silly to go all the way to Singapore to find a ship).

jvc
05-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but after watching a making of the film on tele, I do want to go and watch it, if for nothing else, to finish the trilogy as I've watched the previous two. From the making of pirates tv show, it looks like a spectacular adventure, and I like adventures, so all I need now is for someone to volunteer to go and watch it with me.

laurenem6
05-27-2007, 08:40 PM
He didn't know Elizabeth killed Jack. He thought Elizabeth was in love with Jack and Jack stayed behind to save them... so he was both feeling guilty about letting Jack die and jealous about Elizabeth loving Jack. At the end of the last movie, he just thought Elizabeth was distrought because Jack had died -- but in fact, she was feeling guilty about killing Jack.

At the beginning of this movie, he said that he and Elizabeth hadn't talked for months. He set off to steal the chart, and she went with Barbossa to find Sen Feng (I still don't understand the whole Shanghai part -- seems rather silly to go all the way to Singapore to find a ship).

Oh, I knew he didn't know she killed him, but still, you think he would confront her about being in love with him or whatever he thought. You just don't give up on a person you've been in love with since you were 12 without even knowing the whole story.

Anne Lyle
05-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Oh, I knew he didn't know she killed him, but still, you think he would confront her about being in love with him or whatever he thought. You just don't give up on a person you've been in love with since you were 12 without even knowing the whole story.

He's a guy. Some of them are more than a tad dim when it comes to relationships, especially the younger ones. All that testosterone inhibits social skills, you know ;)

[Actually, that's true - testosterone reduces one's ability to deduce emotion from facial expressions. There's scientific proof (http://differenceblog.livejournal.com/tag/affect) (blog link, but it's more readable than the source material).]

maestrowork
05-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I agree. I know too many guys (me included) wouldn't say a thing if he thinks his girl is in love with someone else. It's better to suffer alone than to bare the scar for all to see -- how humiliating that would be! Better just to shrug it off.

laurenem6
05-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Huh, interesting point.

dclary
05-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I saw it this weekend. FAR more entertaining than 2, but 1 is still the best of the lot.

I noticed something odd, I think, in the resolution of the storylines.

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS

William Turner: loses everything, except for 1 day every decade.
Elizabeth Turner: loses all three of the men she loves, except for 1 day every decade.
Jack Sparrow: loses the Pearl.
Governor Swan: loses his life.
Admiral guy who loved Elizabeth: loses his life.
Calypso: loses her faith in the one man she loved.
Davy Jones: loses everything.
Barbossa: loses the map to the Fountain of Youth.
East India Trading Company Guy: loses everything.
Chow Yun Fat: loses his life.
Bootstrap Turner: freed from Dutchman, ends up signing on eternally voluntarily.
Pirate with 1-good eye: loses fake eye.

There isn't a happier-seeming sad ending in all of modern film, as near as I can tell. But this is truly a sad ending to this series, and its characters. No one got a happy ending.

:(

Writer2011
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
It was forty-five minutes too long--very confusing in some parts and a bit contrived too...although it was good but give me a slasher flick and i'm good :) I'm not all into the Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter but that's just me...

Back to the "task" at hand...I liked Pirates--but I thought there was just too much going on.

ALLWritety
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Quote Dclary:

William Turner: loses everything, except for 1 day every decade.
Elizabeth Turner: loses all three of the men she loves, except for 1 day every decade.
Jack Sparrow: loses the Pearl.
Governor Swan: loses his life.
Admiral guy who loved Elizabeth: loses his life.
Calypso: loses her faith in the one man she loved.
Davy Jones: loses everything.
Barbossa: loses the map to the Fountain of Youth.
East India Trading Company Guy: loses everything.
Chow Yun Fat: loses his life.
Bootstrap Turner: freed from Dutchman, ends up signing on eternally voluntarily.
Pirate with 1-good eye: loses fake eye.

There isn't a happier-seeming sad ending in all of modern film, as near as I can tell. But this is truly a sad ending to this series, and its characters. No one got a happy ending.

The modern fariytale ending eh!!
K

Saanen
05-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I was pretty disappointed. There wasn't a lot of character development and the plot didn't really hang together. I do think they've set it up for another possible sequel about the Fountain of Youth, which would be awesome.

I agree with the others who thought the Chow Yung Fat character was extraneous. I swear I think the only reason that whole subplot of him thinking Elizabeth was Calypso was there so Elizabeth's character doesn't seem extraneous.

I was hoping we'd find out the connection between Sparrow and the Beckett guy who runs the East India Trading Company, but that just fizzled out and was never addressed. And it seemed surprisingly easy to get Sparrow back out of Davy Jones' locker.

Oh, and did anyone else think the transformation of Calypso was the lamest special effect in the last twenty years of filmmaking? Come on, she just got big and then turned into a pile of crabs? Who thought that up? My five-year-old nephew could come up with something more interesting and fun to watch. Really, I thought the whole Calypso subplot seemed shoehorned in.

I'm hoping the director's cut will actually be shorter and better edited than the theatrical release. There was some good stuff in this movie, but it was way too long and meandered from subplot to subplot without feeling cohesive.

wyntermoon
05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Waaaaay too long but I did enjoy the final scenes with a little Flynn action between Sparrow and Jones. Call me a sucker for pirate flicks.

I was bored with the Jones/Calypso subplot, who didn't see this one coming? And after she's freed, she makes a little rain? pffffffffffffft Oh yeah, the maelstrom - nice piece of CGI but it went on too long as mentioned above. Something tells me the Armada wouldn't have simply turned around either, besides didn't they have something better to do?

On an upnote, Will finally looked hot as a pirate at the end. ;)

laurenem6
05-28-2007, 07:23 PM

My thoughts exactly. Especially with that huge scar...

Saanen
05-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Lordie, yes--the saving grace of the whole movie! :p

Writer2011
05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Summer movies aren't supposed to have plots, meaning, or social redeeming value---none of them do or never will.. alas POTCAWE is a good summer flick..although I like movies where you don't have to think---this one kinda did.

mkcbunny
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I have to agree with that. I've never been on the Orlando bandwagon [may Dawno not read this and come after me through the ether], but he finally seemed like he had some substance after dying and coming back with a head scarf.

Writer2011
05-29-2007, 10:13 AM
As far as Chow Yun Fat's character---without him Elizabeth Swan Turner wouldn't have become a captain or King of the high court, which I thought was pretty cool...she's come a long way.

I did feel sorry for Orlando (Will Turner) but he did get to be with his father--and helped Jack and Barbosa out--so all in all it turned out for the best :)

maestrowork
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
So here's the philosophical question for the day:

Would you rather see your loved one die -- and gone forever -- or would you rather have one day with her/him every 10 years?

JimmyB27
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I still don't understand the whole Shanghai part -- seems rather silly to go all the way to Singapore to find a ship.

The chart that Will stole was there too, in one of...um, Chow Yun Fat's character's warehouses. Hence the whole 'I caught this guy thieving from me, mind if I kill him?' bit.

JimmyB27
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Would you rather see your loved one die -- and gone forever -- or would you rather have one day with her/him every 10 years?

I'd go for the former - at least you have closure that way.

Plus, on his fifth day with her, she'll be about 70...ewwww!

SouthernFriedJulie
05-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I just saw At World's End last night and have to say I really enjoyed it, if only for the skewed humor of Jack. Twisted, morbid, and sort of like a bit of dry british humor.

I agree it was too long. The releasing of Calypso was pretty anti-climatic. Reminded me of Power Rangers...'OO, I'm all giant now, but don't expect much.' I would have thought with Will telling her at the last moment that D. Jones betrayed her, there'd have been more to it.

And Jack's dad? Could have been more substance to that.

I think the ending went on and on too much for my taste. Though I sort of like how it does come around again. It leaves an opening if they ever decide to make 4. My husband argues that there'll never be one. I think if people like it enough and it does well at the box office, there will possibly be one.

laurenem6
05-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I think he's become a better actor, too.

Azure Skye
05-30-2007, 04:20 AM
It was very fun which is what I expect from the PoC movies. Really enjoyed it.

Cassiopeia
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I will just say that I was relieved to see Orlando Bloom finally looking a bit more his age. And of course, Johnny Depp is excellent at usual.

The graphics and effects were excellent. I was very happy with it.

It was great fun!

Cassiopeia
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Would you rather see your loved one die -- and gone forever -- or would you rather have one day with her/him every 10 years?Those aren't very nice options :)

I would rather have one day with him every 10 years. I am the eternal optimist and figure I might just sort out a way to get to see him everyday :)

laurenem6
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't know why she had to wait 10 years. He could only step on land every 10 years, but there are no rules about her going onto his ship to visit every couple of days.

wyntermoon
05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Good point. Couldn't she join the crew? Or would she be absorbed into the ship? I thought at first that's where she was going in the dingy - then ended up being knee-licked (down Ray) by Will.

dclary
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
He is keeping the mission set out for the Dutchman: to transport souls to the afterworld. She can't go with him, and he can't stop working. That's why.

wyntermoon
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I guess that clears that up.

laurenem6
05-30-2007, 10:11 PM
True, but I can't see how he couldn't take a break every week or so. It wouldn't take long, seeing as how he can magically transport himself places. And anyways, Davy Jones was standing in a bucket of water on the beach, so couldn't Will do the same thing?

dclary
05-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Start doing that, eventually you're raising pet krakens and terrorizing the seven seas,

ARrrghh!

sassandgroove
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey we have a discussion of POTC3 going on here too. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65439 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65439)
Maybe they can be merged.

I LOVED THIS MOVIE.

Dclary is right. Davy quit ferrrying the dead, his appointed role, and he and his crew started merging with the sea and the ship. If will keeps up his role, he'll stay the handsome man that he is now.

I'd go for the former - at least you have closure that way.

Plus, on his fifth day with her, she'll be about 70...ewwww!Not if she found the fountain of youth.

I don't know why she had to wait 10 years. He could only step on land every 10 years, but there are no rules about her going onto his ship to visit every couple of days.
Because she would have to die to join the crew.

wyntermoon
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Start doing that, eventually you're raising pet krakens and terrorizing the seven seas,

ARrrghh!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

dclary
05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Not if she found the fountain of youth.
Keira Knightley finding the fountain of youth would be my idea of heaven.

sassandgroove
05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I think the whole thing with Chow Yun Fat and being in Singapore is that they needed the charts, and I took it that Singapore was on the way to worlds' end. But I too thought it was odd that they needed a ship and a crew from him. Why? Just have them go to him to ask for the charts and then have the attack from Becketts men.

As far as him thinking Elizabeth was Calypso, that allowed for him to make her captain, leading to her becoming King of the Pirates. I didn't think it was a red herring, just that he was mistaken. BUt I had already figured out Tia Dalma was Calypso at that point, so I may have seen it differently.

ETA: LOL Dclary.

Elektra
05-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm in the minority here: I thought the ending battle was the perfect legnth. Maybe just because they broke it up between the large scale battle and the swordfight between Jack and Jones, so it never got to be too much of anything at one time.

And I listed these at the other thread, but I'm putting them here, too. Because I can.

Endings that would have made me happy:

a) Them falling through the whirlpool into the Locker and Beckett being defeated by a fleet of Captain Jacks

or

b) No marriage (though it was completely awesome), Will becoming captain of the Dutchman, he and Elizabeth realizing they had grown apart (which they really had), and Elizabeth and Jack kissing when he swooped down and saved her on the parachute sail. They just looked so cozy and right together in that scene.

Elektra
05-31-2007, 02:25 AM
And favourite part by far: Telescope Envy.

Bartholomew
05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
I loved this movie so much. ^-^

Elektra
05-31-2007, 06:25 AM
The thing that really didn't get played out (and really, really should have replaced the Calypso nonsense) is Jack's feelings for Elizabeth. In POTC2, he's so torn up about her that his compass doesn't work, and in this one...it's just completely forgotten. Same for Elizabeth's confusion about her feelings for Jack.

Sorry to use this forum as a POTC ranting ground, but I have nowhere else to turn. In the words of the inimitable Scarlet, "nobody likes me, nobody loves me, I think I'll go eat worms!"

laurenem6
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
I think that Elizabeth realized that she didn't have any real feelings for Jack. And I'm sure Jack never really had any real feelings for her, either. He just lusts after her and all.

sassandgroove
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
The thing that really didn't get played out (and really, really should have replaced the Calypso nonsense) is Jack's feelings for Elizabeth. In POTC2, he's so torn up about her that his compass doesn't work, and in this one...it's just completely forgotten. Same for Elizabeth's confusion about her feelings for Jack.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just thought that Jack didn't know what he wanted. Interesting.

dclary
05-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just thought that Jack didn't know what he wanted. Interesting.

I think any feelings Jack had for Elizabeth ended just about the time she left him to die.

sassandgroove
06-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes. That's true. But it just hadn't occurred to me that it might be why the compass didn't work.

sassandgroove
06-01-2007, 01:55 AM
So I don't remember which thread I posted my musing about Barbossa and the who might have been the captain of the Black Pearl before Jack, but heck, I'll go with this thread for now.

I asked my husband and he suggested maybe it was Beckett. I find that a much more interesting theory than mine. Discuss

laurenem6
06-01-2007, 02:50 AM
I don't think Beckett's the kind to go for piracy, but it is an interesting thought...

Elektra
06-01-2007, 03:59 AM
I think any feelings Jack had for Elizabeth ended just about the time she left him to die.

I dunno...he seemed to kinda respect that ( I absolutely love that knowing smile he gives her right when she claps on the irons). Maybe because it's what he would do?

dclary
06-01-2007, 04:07 AM
So I don't remember which thread I posted my musing about Barbossa and the who might have been the captain of the Black Pearl before Jack, but heck, I'll go with this thread for now.

I asked my husband and he suggested maybe it was Beckett. I find that a much more interesting theory than mine. Discuss

Didn't he win it from Lando in a Sabbac game?

narselon
06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I just saw it through unconventional means, which meant I lost a good chunk of the movie 3/4 of the way in. This happened at the pirate lord meeting when Jack is circling around and it resumed when Jack was sneaking around the Flying Dutchman. Even though I lost this chunk I didn't feel like I missed much, except for the Jack's dad thing.

First of all I'll say I enjoyed the movie. I heard enough bashing that my expectations were lowered. I never had a problem following the story in this or Dead Man's Chest., except for understanding the betrayals at the time they happen.

I thought the whole pirate lord and Calypso thing were unnecessary. I'm not quite sure why characters such as pirates would have lords and laws to govern them as it seems to counter their nature. They build up to them doing something but they only seemed to be around to celebrate at the final battle. I'm also not sure why Barbossa was a pirate lord when he initially served under Jack. Calypso didn't do much either and only seemed to be inserted as an all purpose explanation. She was behind the pirate lord thing, bringing back Barbossa, and providing the weird rules to being captain of the Flying Dutchman.

Another thing that annoyed me was Jack taking too long with the heart. If he just stabbed the damn thing instead of informing Davy Jones he would have been captain of the Dutchman. Instead we see a forced pause to allow Will to be stabbed. I actually don't mind Will being the new captain as it works thematically but the way it happened seemed forced.

After watching the movie I read around a lot of sites. I came across a few rumors that seem to explain things that were never mentioned, perhaps deleted scenes because the movie went on for so long. One of them was that Jack was captain of the Pearl for Beckett before one of them betrayed the other and the Pearl sank. The other rumor was that one of the conditions of the Dutchman curse was dependent on love at that ten year date. Because Will and Elizabeth remained loyal to each other he regained the permanent ability walk on land. The flashing green light at the end was supposed to clue the audience.

In the end it was a fun movie that maybe should have went through another draft to cut away the unnecessary fat.

sassandgroove
06-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't think Beckett's the kind to go for piracy, but it is an interesting thought...
No, not as a pirate. As part of the East India Company or the military. Then the Pearl sank in some battle, perhaps involving a certain Pirate named Jack, who was then captured by Beckett, branded with the P. Then Jack escaped and went to Davy to make the deal the dredge up the Pearl. Hence the animosity between Beckett and Jack. Purely conjecture on my part but a fun thought.

laurenem6
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Hmm yeah, that kinda makes sense. That might also be how Beckett knew about his compass in number 2.

sassandgroove
06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Exactly.

sassandgroove
06-02-2007, 01:52 AM
not ready to let this die yet!

I am going to go see it again tomorrow. WHOO HOO.

Deadbeat 007
06-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Not if she found the fountain of youth.

There you go!

I just got back from seeing the movie, and after expecting the worst, I was terribly pleased. Couldn't stand the beginning though - I really didn't like the whole song thing. And the coin the kid had, the "nine pieces of eight" or whatever, reminded me too much of the Aztec gold from the first movie.

I was pleased they didn't recycle many jokes from the first movie like they did with the second. I also kind of liked the Calypso subplot, but I agree that it should have been left for another movie. I was expecting some awesome CGI when Calypso was being 'released', but she just grew giant. They could have done so much with that!

I've never been an Orlando Bloom fan, but I think his acting was a lot better in this movie. His character was the one I probably put the most interest in (the cool pirate gear didn't hurt). But was I the only one disappointed that they didn't do more with Norrington's character? :/

I liked the ending! Though I wish Elizabeth could have gone off and done her thing as cold-ass pirate babe. Ah well. ;)

kikazaru
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought the whole pirate lord and Calypso thing were unnecessary. I'm not quite sure why characters such as pirates would have lords and laws to govern them as it seems to counter their nature. They build up to them doing something but they only seemed to be around to celebrate at the final battle. I'm also not sure why Barbossa was a pirate lord when he initially served under Jack. Calypso didn't do much either and only seemed to be inserted as an all purpose explanation. She was behind the pirate lord thing, bringing back Barbossa, and providing the weird rules to being captain of the Flying Dutchman.

Another thing that annoyed me was Jack taking too long with the heart. If he just stabbed the damn thing instead of informing Davy Jones he would have been captain of the Dutchman. Instead we see a forced pause to allow Will to be stabbed. I actually don't mind Will being the new captain as it works thematically but the way it happened seemed forced.

I loved this movie and wouldn't have minded it twice as long. As for your points I think that that the pirates council was not farfetched at all - pirates seem to me to be the equivalent of a criminal gang -like a street or motorcycle gang or even the mafia and they all have hierarchies and elaborate codes. Barbossa, despite organizing a mutiny, could have become a pirate lord while he was Captain of the Black Pearl for those ten years -he had the time and ruthlessness to do so.

Re Jack taking too long to stab the heart. In the first movie Jack says to Elizabeth that what a ship really was, "was freedom." There is no freedom commanding the Dutchman. If he had accepted this fate and exchanged his life for Will's, it would have elevated his character to hero which he is not. It was interesting to watch his dilemma because you could see that he thought about it, and couldn't do it. He could however think fast enough to save Will's life. This also is a nod to the first movie where Jack was stabbed thru the heart by Barbossa, but didn't die because he held the coin. Imo I believe that the choice was right for his character - he was the scallywag and Will was noble.

PS Did anyone notice the connection between the scene where Jack's nose sniffs out the peanut and Ice Age?

PenTeller
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Lordie, yes--the saving grace of the whole movie! :p

Agreed. That's the only time Orlando Bloom has looked attractive to me. Ever.

As a whole, I thought the movie was really long and convuluted. That, and that the writers were on crack when they wrote it.

I'd be up for a forth, as long as Will and Elizabeth aren't involved. A movie dedicated to Johnny De--er, I mean Jack Sparrow searching for the fountain of youth on a dinghy? I'm there.

ALLWritety
06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
When I went to see the movie i mentioned this to my friend. A small point but to me a little interesting.

The boy at the beginning who starts the song. Was he the same boy that was with Eliz at the end as their son??? I think he was the same boy. If so WHY? Is there a point or meaning to this? (Other than getting your money's worth, instead of hiring 2 different actors!!)

Comments Please.

Kev

laurenem6
06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I saw the movie several weeks ago, but as I recall, I don't think it was the same boy.

sassandgroove
06-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think it was either. But I didn't look that closely. If it was, I am sure it was just economy of having one actor, with no deeper meaning.