What Words Do You Overuse in Your Writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising the first draft of my novel. I know I use the word "just" far too much so I'm not too shocked to find how often I need to delete it. "That" is another bad one. However, it's a new surprise to me to see "wondered" as often as I have. It's getting cut too; I'm reworking whole paragraphs. I know there are a couple of others but those are the big ones I'm evicting from my pages. :e2Order:

What are your big offenders?
Anything different from the usual in what you are working on right now?
:e2poke:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Turned
Sighed
Smiled
Grinned
Faced

... Among others. :D I really do have a lot of words I would like to see out of my novel. But hey, I'm only on my First Draft right now, so I guess I can get away with it for the time being...

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
apparent, apparently. I'm also quite certain that when it comes to revising, I'll find words like turned that show up too frequently. Even as I write, I try not to put them in, but I'm a visual person and I feel that it must be expressed when a character turns from one person to another or to face a new direction.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
So ... especially in lines of dialogue "So, what do you think?" That in the obvious places. Nodded or nodded his head. I never realized I was so predictable. :) Puma

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
All of the above. And below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use a lot of qualifiers in my first drafts, something I'm learning to do away with now, even in aforementioned first drafts because I think, "Write anything now, fix it later," is a lazy way to write and more often than not, there'll be one or two mistakes that slip through on the re-write.

I also say, "It seemed as if..." or "It appeared to him that..." more often than I should.

So I use qualifiers and filters too much. Actually, once is too much as far as I'm concerned.

I also start off too many sentences with 'well' and 'so'. Yes, people do that in real-life dialogue but it's grating to see it so often on the page.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Plain(ly)
Sudden(ly)
Found
Startled
Sighed
Looked (glared would be a close second to this one)

The phrase "it became..." pops up a lot more often than it should. And I've deleted more he-said she-said dialogue tags than I want to admit to.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
In the first draft, since I was writing it in the "now" frame of mind, I kept writing "he was going to" do something, as if when I was writing the sentence, the action hadn't happened yet. But once the sentence was written, the action would happen. Does that make sense? I must have used the phrase a couple hundred times.

To solve it, I either changed the action of the sentence or changed it to "He would" do something. I'm still working through the second draft, and it seems to be flowing better.

I didn't have that many "thats" but there was a lot of sighing and head shaking. I've allowed maybe a couple sighs, but each time one appears, I'm rewriting the sentence. Same with head shakes and nods.

Oh, and lots of uses of "So" at the beginning of dialogue sentences, but I think that's because I use "So" a lot in my own speech when I'm getting ready to say something. Most of them got crossed out.

allen

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
that
suddenly
as

And I'm big on facial expressions, so I have to watch how often I describe the eyes: glancing, scowling, flatlining, piercing, stabbing, staking, glittering...you get the gist.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
sighed

The bane of my existence...

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I use seem and appear way too much. Ugh! And while on the subject of wishy-washy things to say, sort of creeps up a lot, too.

I also use ridiculous quite a bit, both in my speech and my writing.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
That and anything that ends in -ly.

I do love my adverbs...but I delete them ruthlessly in my first edit. I think I overuse them because I use them when I speak and I tend to write the way I speak. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
"Had"
"Immediately"
"Like"

I have to do a search-and-destroy for these stupid words. Glad I'm not alone.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Another one I've been finding as I go back through my manuscripts is "half" as in half glanced, half frowned, etc. I'm not exactly sure what a half frown would be - only one eye? Puma

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
really and just are my biggest offenders. I've gotten better about "that" . But I really just can't seem to write w/o really and just.

tomW

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the book...

My first editing pass catches most unnecessary instances of "that," though occasionally I choose to leave it in for cadence.

"Just" is one I always do a search for, removing it in some cases, leaving it in occasionally, and sometimes changing it to "only" or some-such.

The first novel I worked on had too much blinking in it, I think because I'll sometimes use a blink in the real world to dramatize the absurdity or oddity of a moment.

One book had too many non-contractions that should have been contractions. The voice I'd written it in only worked if it was read a certain way, but would have been awkward for most readers. I added hundreds of contractions during editing.

In the most recent one, "quietly" is used a little bit too frequently, perhaps because I like to understate things. (The small sound can be the strongest...)

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
He.

I have one chapter in particular that has very little dialogue as my MC is on his lonesome and on the move most of the time. It seems every second sentence starts with 'he'. It's annoying the crap out of me. Is this little word considered along the lines of 'said'? Can I get away with many of them?

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.