PDA

View Full Version : Comment-less Rep Points

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 05:41 AM
If I give somene a rep point, but I make it a comment-free one, does it still show up in their CP?? And with just a blank comment line?

Or does that entire rep point remain invisible to that poster?

The reason I ask is that I have nothing but positive points and ALL of them have nice comments. But I'm getting paranoid about someone somewhere at some point handing me a negative point but just not giving a comment, and thus it's (maybe?) rendering that entire point invisible to me. And so I'd never know.

And twice I have handed out positive points (haven't done any negatives yet actually) and I failed to make a comment to accompany it. So I'm wondering what it looks like in their CP.

And I did learn today how to check the small blank box for the ending tag that reads "reputation_pos.gif" so I do know for a fact that all my VISIBLE points are positive.

Is there such a thing as an "invisible" point?

scarletpeaches
05-26-2007, 05:43 AM
It shows as a comment-free rep point and you suffer the tenth circle of bannination.

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 05:52 AM
It shows as a comment-free rep point and you suffer the tenth circle of bannination.

Who suffers that dreaded fate? The pointer or the pointee?

aliajohnson
05-26-2007, 05:53 AM
There--I sent you a rep without comment. What happenened? :D

ETA: er. . .happened

scarletpeaches
05-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Who suffers that dreaded fate? The pointer or the pointee?

You do. Then the world explodes and it's all your fault.

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 05:57 AM
There--I sent you a rep without comment. What happenened? :D

ETA: er. . .happened

It reads as follows:

Thread........................Date................ ....Posted By ......... Comment
Comment-less Rep Points ..... 05-25-2007 09:53 PM ... aliajohnson

So the comment line is blank.

Thank you! :cool:

(I'll pay ya back! )

aliajohnson
05-26-2007, 06:02 AM
It reads as follows:

Thread Date Posted By Comment
Comment-less Rep Points 05-25-2007 09:53 PM aliajohnson

Ah. Neat. I'd wondered before what would happen if someone did that. Now what's this reputation_pos.gif thing?:D

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 06:03 AM
You do. Then the world explodes and it's all your fault.

But no one will be around to pin the blame on me.

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Ah. Neat. I'd wondered before what would happen if someone did that. Now what's this reputation_pos.gif thing?:D

Go to your CP and note the one and only BLANK column on the very far left of all the rep points.

Right click the blank box to the left of any given rep point.

Then click "Properties."

Read the http-line for "properties" and the ending tag should read either "reputation_pos.gif" or (I think??) "reputation_neg.gif" to show you which type of point it is.

And sometimes you don't quite click the correct spot inside the box and you get a bogus reading that has neither a "pos" nor a "neg." Right click it again until you get one that ends with either "pos" or "neg."

aliajohnson
05-26-2007, 06:16 AM
Go to your CP and note the one and only BLANK column on the very far left of all the rep points.

Then click "Properties."

Read the http-line for "properties" and the ending tag should read either "reputation_pos.gif" or (I think??) "reputation_neg.gif" to show you which type of point it is.

And sometimes you don't quite click the correct spot inside the box and you get a bogus reading that has neither a "pos" nor a "neg." Right click it again until you get one that ends with either "pos" or "neg."

So positve and negative rep points aren't obvious? I figured if I'd gotten a neg rep point it'd be a different color or have an angry label attached to it.

Medievalist
05-26-2007, 07:04 AM
If someone gives another member a Rep point, positive or negative, without a Comment, the point still affects the overall total, and still shows the post link the Comment was inspired by, and who the comment is from.

Negative Rep points are a rarity, and well, I'd rather not use them, personally. They're sorta childish really. I have used them a couple of times, but I wouldn't do it now.

It is possible to spot the negative Rep points; I suppose I'd probably add it to the list of stuff to write FAQs about. If you really really gotta know, one way is to turn off Images in your Web browser, then look at your CP, at the Rep points.

licity-lieu
05-26-2007, 07:40 AM
If people dont rep then I assume they just dont care and so that to me = negative. :cry:

I'm used to it :cry:

:e2shower: (maybe someone will rep me for utilizing a completely inappropriate smiley)

I recieve a rep therefore I am

Sean D. Schaffer
05-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Snipped...

Is there such a thing as an "invisible" point?

Yes, there is. If you have someone on your 'Ignore' list, the points they have left you will not show up on your Control Panel.

Also, if you have deleted a post which someone has repped you on, the rep point will cease to exist or at least become invisible.

However, to your original question, if a point simply has no remark next to it, it will show up as a point with no remark.

I hope this helps.

:)

licity-lieu
05-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, there is. If you have someone on your 'Ignore' list, the points they have left you will not show up on your Control Panel.

Ignore list :Wha: Do folks here do this? Why are people so unkind?

um...how does one know if...sniff...one is on an ignore list?

Bartholomew
05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow.

Obsessed much, guys?

Scurries off to see if someone repped him.

Bartholomew
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
um...how does one know if...sniff...one is on an ignore list?

Go to your user CP.

Click Edit Options.

Under "Messaging and Identification" you'll find an option that reads, "Automatically send nasty emails to people who've blocked me on these forums."

Select this. Then tick the box, "Allow me to personalize the email."

Then it'll send you a copy of the email as well, and you can usually divine from the address who's blocked you.

Hope that helps!

God, I'm a prick.

licity-lieu
05-26-2007, 10:45 AM
:eek: Geez...AW is a clandestine beastie aint it. I'm now scared to check.

BTW--Thanks Bartholomew for the RP:D

licity-lieu
05-26-2007, 10:53 AM
*stumbles across hidden message in Bartholomew's post #15*

My first ignore list candidate. He he

You're a gnat's dick away from a neg RP bucko :box:

Bartholomew
05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
*stumbles across hidden message in Bartholomew's post #15*

My first ignore list candidate. He he

You're a gnat's dick away from a neg RP bucko :box:

I triple chili-dog-with-hot-fudge-and-marshmallows-slathered-in-cheese dare you.

Bart, who wonders how many calories that would have.

Plot Device
05-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Wow! That's a revelation!

So, if you have a hurtful person on ignore, they can still "hurt" you, and secretly so.

Yikes!

Also, if you have deleted a post which someone has repped you on, the rep point will cease to exist or at least become invisible.

Okay. Sounds like incentive to delete a crappy, uncalled-for and way-out-of-bounds post that twenty people gave you negative points for. ;)

However, to your original question, if a point simply has no remark next to it, it will show up as a point with no remark.

I hope this helps.

:)

Yes, thanks.

Puma
05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I've got another rep point question - is there any way to see how many rep points I have given out? Or is that totally lost? Thanks for any responses. Puma

rhymegirl
05-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Then click "Properties."

Not everyone has these things on their computers. I use a Mac and this whole thing doesn't work. And our mouses don't have a right click button.

Medievalist
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Not everyone has these things on their computers. I use a Mac and this whole thing doesn't work. And our mouses don't have a right click button.

It works just fine on a Mac. Control click.

licity-lieu
05-27-2007, 01:30 AM
I triple chili-dog-with-hot-fudge-and-marshmallows-slathered-in-cheese dare you.

Bart, who wonders how many calories that would have.

bite me ;D

Shazam! :banana:

stormie
05-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh-oh. Paranoia setting in. Fast. Do I have any negative rep points? Huh? Never knew how to check for that. Storm clouds also gathering.

ETA: Okay, just checked. All postive comments, no blank reps. <Whew!> Now I'm calm. :)

Sean D. Schaffer
05-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Oh-oh. Paranoia setting in. Fast. Do I have any negative rep points? Huh? Never knew how to check for that. Storm clouds also gathering.

ETA: Okay, just checked. All postive comments, no blank reps. <Whew!> Now I'm calm. :)

Negative points are pretty rare these days. The only negative point I ever received was a retaliation for my having given someone else a negative rep.

And it was a Take-It-Outside thread, and that pretty much says everything that needs to be said about that.

Medievalist
05-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Hey, blank rep comments are not negative points necessarily.

Plot Device
05-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I am totally NOT digging the idea that a person I have on ignore can give me a negative point and I would never know it because the point would be invisible to me. A really freaky obsessive and vindictive person could be clicking negatives at my posts al day every day for weeks and I'd never know.

Isn't the point of putting a person on ignore wanting to wash your hands of them? Isn't putting someone on ignore the MATURE thing to do?

But here it turns out to be a curse in disguise. If someone figured out I had them on ignore, it would be open season on my rep points for that person.

How about if having them on ignore blocks their ability to give me any points at all? A clean wall of separation.

Bartholomew
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
A really freaky obsessive and vindictive person could be clicking negatives at my posts al day every day for weeks and I'd never know.

They can give you negative reps on every post you've ever made on this forum if they wanted, but if you have them on ignore, you can't see the rep. Since no one else can see your rep box except you, what does it matter if they try to give you a reputation point?

#

Am I really the only person who uses rep points as a way of getting around having a tiny PM box?

Plot Device
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
They can give you negative reps on every post you've ever made on this forum if they wanted, but if you have them on ignore, you can't see the rep. Since no one else can see your rep box except you, what does it matter if they try to give you a reputation point?

#

Am I really the only person who uses rep points as a way of getting around having a tiny PM box?

Don't negative rep points hurt your overall reputation score?

I'm still "on a distinguished road" but then I've only been here a month and I have accumulted just 47 rep points. I'm assuming my "distinguished road" will not become something else (like the "shiny jewel" or "has a very good reputation") until I hit 100 points.

Don't negative rep points detract from positive ones? Or am I misunderstanding what negative rep points have the "power" to do?

My point is that if negative rep ponts have ANY power, then in the spirit of the ignore feature, anyone on my ignore list should be completely denied/disposessed of having such power over me for as long as they are on ignore. I view the "ignore" function as a kind of restraining order against another poster. But in this situation, it's actually an open invitation to that poster to commit covert and repeat acts of reputation vandalism against me.

The only way I can check to see if such negative points have been assigned to me would be to periodically un-ignore the offending poster. But then my desire to be rid of that poster is then comepletely undone by having to constantly unignore him, check my points, then re-ignore him.

Medievalist
05-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Guys

Really, the Rep points are sorta silly. It's like gold stars for kids. Don't get too worried about them. They don't really do anything for you at all. Sure, it's nice to leave comments for people, but the points? Meh. No big deal.

scarletpeaches
05-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I likes 'em, I likes 'em, I tell thee! My fragile ego likes my precious rep points!

Silver King
05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
...The only way I can check to see if such negative points have been assigned to me would be to periodically un-ignore the offending poster...
You could also keep track of your point total. You have forty-seven now. If you check later and you're down to forty, then your worst nightmare is actually taking place.

I love giving reps far more than I enjoy receiving them. And the few times I was handed negative points, I deserved them and repaid the members with positive ones. (I've never given anyone a negative point. Instead, I give them a hard time on the open forum.)

I must be doing something right, though, 'cause my rep total often hovers in range of fifty percent of my post count. :)

stormie
05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
.... It's like gold stars for kids. Don't get too worried about them. They don't really do anything for you at all. Sure, it's nice to leave comments for people, but the points? Meh. No big deal.
I'm really a kid at heart, with a bit of insecurity and a smidgen of paranoia. Staying calm takes hard work, and positive reps help! :D