How long before your eyes glaze over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarabi

reading your own work? I completed the first draft of my memoir, and now I'm rewriting and rewriting. I have days when I have read a passage so many times that I glaze over. Do you have that problem, and how do you get unstuck?

By way of introduction...I joined this forum in April and so far I have been a lurker, picking up lots of good information. I'm retired after working 30-some years in information technology. This is my first book...same one I started writing 40 years ago. I have set a goal for myself to have a finished product by the end of the year, lest dementia set in and I forget too much to write about it, or my vision fails too much to read it.

I have 3 people who volunteered to read/edit for me. My husband had the first shot at me, and I have incorporated many of his suggestions. I'm hoping that my next reader, an old friend who lived through some of the years with me, will get me jump-started past this glaze-over spell.

Suggestions anyone?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Sarabi!

I write fiction, and third person with multiple POV, so I'm not sure how useful my getting-unstuck tricks would be to you...but if I'm stuck in a specific passage, I'll generally write it from a completely different perspective - either a different character, or I'll switch to first person. Just as an exercise - so far I have never actually used one of these in place of an original. But the perspective change usually gets me moving again, and I can see the scene in a new light.
I've used the same sort of trick in memoir, writing the passage in third instead of first, and it did help me. But I could just be very weird. That's entirely possible. :)

Good luck!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
If I get stuck on a certain part, I usually just skip ahead and come back to it later. If need be, I'll hop back and forth several times until it's done. Hope this helps and good luck with the rewriting process!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll echo the 'change of scenery' suggestions. And sometimes even taking a long enough break to make a cup of tea will clear my head enough to get over the hurdle.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the alkayhol content of the WIP or finished wonderful in all it's perfection manuscript-large dash-book!

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
hi. My eyes don't glaze over editing my stuff (fiction, poetry, or nonfiction). But they glaze over when reading a memoir by any author. hopefully it's not just a list of things that happened -- it's a difficult format that needs to be lively and full of human touches.

You really can't read any paragraph more than a few times. If it doesn't give you the right feeling, just put a question mark by it and move onto the next one. The big question is whether the overall book has the impact you wanted it to; if not, it really doesn't matter what the paragraph says. If so, and there are just a few rough edges, then maybe the book is finished. Don't miss the forest for the trees.

I hope you can get a kick started again. If an author's not enjoying their work, it's hard for the reader to enjoy it.

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
Reading on-screen text is difficult because of glare, frequent breaks are advised to prevent a glaze effect. So says my optom. and he is a chat-a-holic.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The biggest thing is I realize when I have had enough. I had to tell myself the other day, "I can't do this anymore" because I was totally useless at that point. I think you have to know your limits.
Hey, WELCOME! :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Welcome!
I put it down when it gets too tough. If I glaze over on the second reading, then I know it's not holding my attention and needs spicing up somehow. Or *I* need spicing up somehow...!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like Kate, I put it away. Do something else. Work on a new project. Beta read for someone else. Play in Office Party. Anything else.

I come back with fresh eyes and low and behold, it's often interesting again.

But sometimes, it doesn't get better. This signals Danger, Will Robinson, Danger. If it makes your eyes glaze, what will it do to the luckless reader who stumbles upon it. Those passages must be rewritten or ruthlessly killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.