PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] Kneerim & Williams (formerly Kneerim, Williams & Bloom)

MKL1025
05-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi, Jill Kneerim at Kneerim & Williams requested a partial of my novel via email today.

I've been to her agency's website and looked at her profile on agent query, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with her?

Thanks so much!

CaoPaux
06-05-2007, 12:09 AM
No personal experience, sorry.

Agency site: http://www.fr.com/practice/kw.cfm?child=kw (subsidiary of Fish & Richardson P.C.)

gettingby
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
How did things turn out? And how long did it take her to get back to you? I have heard good things about her.

Mr. Anonymous
07-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Leslie Kaufmann requested a partial from me recently. Just heard from her. Said she'd get to it within a month (apparently they're swamped). I'll let you know how it turns out.

steampunk
06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Leslie Kaufman wrote me requesting a partial (took her a month but she said my email apparently went in her spam) and then when I sent it she wrote back that they were very busy and that it might take 4 weeks to get back to me (which isn't long compared to other agents I've heard from) and that if I am offered representation to please contact them so that they can move my submission up and "throw their hat in the ring" which I'm sure she tells everyone but still made me smile.
Stats:
May 13 - equery
June 26 - request for partial

steampunk
07-21-2009, 01:23 AM
well i emailed leslie kaufman cause another agent expressed interest in my book and said that there were some revisions he would need but that he couldn't work with me till the fall so to consider that in lieu of other offers. So I wrote Ms. Kaufman to let her know, while it wasn't an offer of representation, it still felt like good news so I wanted to let her know someone else was interested and she said "thanks for keeping me in the loop. We'll be in touch shortly"

So we'll see what happens....

kayreno
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I queried Jill Kneerim on 07/30/09 and I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn today!! She must be an assistant, not sure. She said to send it to her attention as an email attach or snail mail, so I did the quick one...lol
She also stated that I should expect to wait 4-6 weeks for a response. So, here's to waiting:hooray:

Datahog
08-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I queried Jill Kneerim on 07/30/09 and I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn today!! She must be an assistant, not sure. She said to send it to her attention as an email attach or snail mail, so I did the quick one...lol
She also stated that I should expect to wait 4-6 weeks for a response. So, here's to waiting:hooray:

Got the same request from the same person the day before you did. Guess that person is the administrative assistant for all the agents there. I'd addressed my email to Jill Kneerim too, so maybe Katherine works for her alone.

No one has any recent experience with this agency? Perhaps they're very selective in what they look at? Of course they probably don't get as many queries as other agencies given they don't accept equeries.

romi41
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Did you guys hear anything back? Is there anyone now who has experience with this agency? They look pretty good from their site, but it also looks like they do a lot of non-fiction, and mine is Multicultural Women's Fiction...but they still requested a Full. I guess I'm just curious as to which of their agents might rep a genre like mine....hmm...well I will send the Full and keep the positive thoughts...let me know if anyone has any experience with them!

Dr. Johnson
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Did you guys hear anything back? Is there anyone now who has experience with this agency? They look pretty good from their site, but it also looks like they do a lot of non-fiction, and mine is Multicultural Women's Fiction...but they still requested a Full. I guess I'm just curious as to which of their agents might rep a genre like mine....hmm...well I will send the Full and keep the positive thoughts...let me know if anyone has any experience with them!

I e-queried Deborah Grosvenor 12/8/08 re: my historical novel. I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn, Editorial Assistant 1/27/09.

3/6/09: Nice, personal "r" from Ms. Flynn. At least they had some good things to say about the book and someone appears to have read and considered it.

Doc

romi41
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I e-queried Deborah Grosvenor 12/8/08 re: my historical novel. I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn, Editorial Assistant 1/27/09.

3/6/09: Nice, personal "r" from Ms. Flynn. At least they had some good things to say about the book and someone appears to have read and considered it.

Doc

Good to know, thank you Doc! :)

Vermilion
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi Romi,

Mine is women's fiction too. Just wondering, who did you address your query to?

romi41
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Romi,

Mine is women's fiction too. Just wondering, who did you address your query to?

Hi Vermilion :)

My query was addressed to Ms. Kneerim herself, but the response came back from Katherine Flynn, who is listed as the "Editorial Manager" at the Boston office. Not sure who the manuscript will ultimately go to, or if Katherine reads them and recommends/not recommends, but we'll see I guess. Her email said I'll hear back in 4-6 weeks...

Did you query to someone specific also?

Vermilion
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I have not queried, am planning on querying. :) Which e-mail did you use?
The general one? submissions@fr.com

The submission says to include: a two-page synopsis of the book, one sample chapter, and your c.v. or a history of your publications.

Did you attach it or paste in the body of your e-mail?

romi41
10-31-2009, 01:49 AM
I was a bit of a fluke in that I didn't realize
the site was under the bigger company name,
so I went by guidelines that mustve been out
of date (not sure if it was litmatch or agent query,
can't remember!), so I simply emailed the query
letter and a brief one-paragraph bio.

So I'm not the best example ;) If their site
says to send all those different things, but they
don't explicitly state to send as an attachment, maybe
paste it in the email to be safe?

And yes that was the same email I sent to!

charlys
11-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I have not queried, am planning on querying. :) Which e-mail did you use?
The general one? submissions@fr.com

The submission says to include: a two-page synopsis of the book, one sample chapter, and your c.v. or a history of your publications.

Did you attach it or paste in the body of your e-mail?

Hi, Vermillion - I sent Kneerin & William a query e-mail 8/23/09 - women's fiction - and never heard back. I'm going to send another this week to Katherine Flynn to see if she'll respond since no one else did.

CharleyGirl
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM

I sent a query letter and one chapter of my MG novel to Leslie Kaufmann on 10/18 and received an email back on 10/20 asking for the full manuscript. I sent her the materials and a return email said they'd get back to me within four weeks...haven't heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Moost
11-09-2009, 03:34 AM
I sent a query letter and one chapter of my MG novel to Leslie Kaufmann on 10/18 and received an email back on 10/20 asking for the full manuscript. I sent her the materials and a return email said they'd get back to me within four weeks...haven't heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

What email did you use to sub to Ms. Kaufmann?

I tried twice today to submit to submissions@fr.com, and both times it bounced back due to security reasons. Even though I only had a subject line of "Query- Leslie Kaufmann" and then "Submission (Leslie Kaufmann)" the return note said I got caught in a spam filter.

Vermilion
11-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Charlys,

I queried on Oct 31st, and haven't heard back.

CharleyGirl
11-09-2009, 06:41 AM
What email did you use to sub to Ms. Kaufmann?

I tried twice today to submit to submissions@fr.com, and both times it bounced back due to security reasons. Even though I only had a subject line of "Query- Leslie Kaufmann" and then "Submission (Leslie Kaufmann)" the return note said I got caught in a spam filter.

Kara- I used Kaufmann@fr.com

Hope you get through!

Moost
11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Good to know you got a positive response from her individual address! Will try that tomorrow- thanks a lot!

romi41
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Good to know you got a positive response from her individual address! Will try that tomorrow- thanks a lot!

Good luck Moost and everyone else!

They've had my Full for ten days now if you count the weekend, so it'll be a while..I'm just going to not think about it...I just hate when an agency has my Full when they didn't even ask for a partial first. I mean I don't HATE it, LOL...but a Full almost IS like a partial when there's no partial first...I have no idea if they'll be into my writing style, they might stop after five pages if they don't like it....argh.....

Yes, happy-happy waiting time :D

trisha
11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Quick question -- was going to submit a query to them. They want a fair amount of material in addition to you querey letter (ie CV, Synopsis, 2 sample chapters) I am finding that most agents want this info pasted into the body of the email (afraid of viruses I guess) Is this true for them or do they want seperate word documents.

Thanks

CharleyGirl
11-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Quick question -- was going to submit a query to them. They want a fair amount of material in addition to you querey letter (ie CV, Synopsis, 2 sample chapters) I am finding that most agents want this info pasted into the body of the email (afraid of viruses I guess) Is this true for them or do they want seperate word documents.

Thanks

I'm always a little hesitant to paste a bunch of stuff into an email...I get paranoid that the format is going to turn out weird and make them want to stop reading (although it's fun for me to be able to blame a rejection on bad formatting instead of bad writing).

For my submission to Leslie Kaufmann, I conveniently went off what she requested on her AgentQuery page, not the Kneerim and Williams policy, so I didn't have too much to paste in.

Back to your actual question: if they ask for it in the body of the email, then (most likely) they will NOT open any attached documents. When in doubt, follow instructions I guess.

Romi- what did you do?

Best of luck!

romi41
11-17-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm always a little hesitant to paste a bunch of stuff into an email...I get paranoid that the format is going to turn out weird and make them want to stop reading (although it's fun for me to be able to blame a rejection on bad formatting instead of bad writing).

For my submission to Leslie Kaufmann, I conveniently went off what she requested on her AgentQuery page, not the Kneerim and Williams policy, so I didn't have too much to paste in.

Back to your actual question: if they ask for it in the body of the email, then (most likely) they will NOT open any attached documents. When in doubt, follow instructions I guess.

Romi- what did you do?

Best of luck!

Hi CharleyGirl,

Sorry I missed this before, but yes I also went off of Agent Query guidelines (I check the agent sites too but must've missed it that time), so I only sent a query letter plus a brief bio.

In terms of responses, I DO have an update: I sent my Full to Katherine Flynn as per request 16 days ago. Today I received a response that there has been one positive read in the agency, and now it's being passed around for more opinions. I actually really appreciate the status update, it's not something I would have expected. She also asked to let her know if any other agent has interest, so I'll inform her of the other Full that is out, without naming names of course.

And then I'll hear back in another few weeks I'm told.

So we'll see...but if it ends up being a rejection after that it'll sting!!! ;)

Good thoughts to everyone else!

Moost
11-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi CharleyGirl,

Sorry I missed this before, but yes I also went off of Agent Query guidelines (I check the agent sites too but must've missed it that time), so I only sent a query letter plus a brief bio.

In terms of responses, I DO have an update: I sent my Full to Katherine Flynn as per request 16 days ago. Today I received a response that there has been one positive read in the agency, and now it's being passed around for more opinions. I actually really appreciate the status update, it's not something I would have expected. She also asked to let her know if any other agent has interest, so I'll inform her of the other Full that is out, without naming names of course.

Good luck Romi!!!

I queried Leslie Kaufmann over a week ago and haven't heard anything so I guess it's an R.

romi41
11-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks Moost! I wouldn't assume it's an R after 1 week, it took 15 days before I received a response to my query. Good luck! :)

CharleyGirl
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi CharleyGirl,

That's great Romi- keep us updated! I'm at nearly 30 days with no response to my full...the email said that "it may take up to 4 weeks before we get back to you." Does that mean that I should gently nudge them next week, or give them an extra couple of weeks to read? Not looking good though.

Moost--I definitely wouldn't say it's a rejection after so short a time--keep waiting and hoping!

romi41
11-19-2009, 04:45 AM
That's great Romi- keep us updated! I'm at nearly 30 days with no response to my full...the email said that "it may take up to 4 weeks before we get back to you." Does that mean that I should gently nudge them next week, or give them an extra couple of weeks to read? Not looking good though.

Moost--I definitely wouldn't say it's a rejection after so short a time--keep waiting and hoping!

Hi CharleyGirl, I think you should give them a couple more weeks, if only because a 4-week response time on a Full is a lot faster than most other agencies. And you never know, so stay positive! :)

thatwriterchick
11-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi CharleyGirl,

Hi,

I also submitted my book, a linked short story collection, over the summer. I got the same response about a positive read and they would let me know shortly. Three weeks went by. I sent Katherine an email. She replied that they needed another week or so. This was in the beginning of September. I have heard nothing since then. I emailed and even left a voicemail. A week or so has turned into 2 months--making it 4 months that they've had my full.

For me, this has been a frustrating experience. I have no clue where my manuscript stands. I've been sending out to others.

Best of luck to you.

Nat

romi41
11-20-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I also submitted my book, a linked short story collection, over the summer. I got the same response about a positive read and they would let me know shortly. Three weeks went by. I sent Katherine an email. She replied that they needed another week or so. This was in the beginning of September. I have heard nothing since then. I emailed and even left a voicemail. A week or so has turned into 2 months--making it 4 months that they've had my full.

For me, this has been a frustrating experience. I have no clue where my manuscript stands. I've been sending out to others.

Best of luck to you.

Nat

Wow, that sounds beyond frustrating. I can't believe you couldn't get a follow-up response. Thanks for sharing your experience though...it's very good to know. And wishing you better luck with others!

thatwriterchick
11-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Good luck to you, too!

CharleyGirl
11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Got a rejection email yesterday from Leslie Kaufmann regarding my full...it was a short form letter. I was expecting the rejection, but thought I might at least get a little feedback to work with. Alas, nothing.

dixonkelt
12-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Hi everyone
I queried brettne bloom as she likes southern fiction--she requested full on 3 Sept and I emailed it that day.

3 1/2 months later...NO REPLY. I've emailed a little reminder (6 weeks after emailing it); and just a few days ago I sent her an update and sample of my latest MS (completed). NOTHING

I figure it's just before the holidays and they're all closing down for Christmas.

Maybe no word is good word but I would love some kind of status update.

So, thatwriterchick, it seems we're in the same boat?

I've since read on agents' blogs that this is not beyond the pale.

good luck everyone!

Michelle

thatwriterchick
01-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I finally got a very nice, personal response. Apparently they grappled over my collection and finally decided it didn't have enough driving action across all the stories--what editors look for. They said they would be happy to consider it if I wanted to revise, but since it's a big revision, they don't have the resources to take me on while I revise. So my novel-in-stories needs to be more novel like.

I am disappointed, but very much appreciated the response.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear.

Nat

bmadsen
01-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, how's everything? I wanted to query this agency but their website seems to be down, a broken link. I tried searching in www.fr.com but it's a pretty big site. anyone with recent contact with them??

thanks!

PS: Happy new year every one!!

JessGirl
01-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Their new website: http://www.kwlit.com :)

A. R. Braun
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any recent, 2011 information? I'm about to query Jill Kneerim because she says she likes a good story on almost any subject and good writing. I'm seriously wondering if this means horror, though, which is what I write.

CharleyGirl, I usually send the query and additional pages, synopsis or whatever to myself to make sure the format doesn't screw it up. Most of the time, it looks fine

Foinah
06-13-2011, 06:16 AM
I queried an associate agent directly with my horror/thriller on 6/10/11. He was listed on the Kneerim site with his email, so I bypassed the kwlit submission thing. I figured WHY NOT? All he can say is, "Silly query person..follow the rules like everyone else."
Snerk.
Just got a full request from Rasheed McWilliams today. Totally ecstatic right now!!!!!!!!

Anyone have info on him or any prior queries?

Foinah
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Bump

kdesanges
06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi!!

I just got an offer from him on Friday. He said he was going to try to get a contract out to me over the weekend and asked me to go through my manuscript again to relook for any typo's etc. From my research, it looks like he is an entertainment attorney that is affiliated with Kneerim and Williams as a literary agent. It looks like he has been affiliated with them since January 2011. I also see where he may have tried to start his own agency, but there isn't much info on that.

He worked on a book with John T. Williams on BMF: The Rise and Fall of Big Meech and the Black Mafia Family and my manuscript also falls in-line with his interest in YA and African-American fiction. He also states interest in commercial, fantasy, horror, science-fiction.

I am happy to have an offer and I don't see any glaring red flags right now. Kneerim and Williams seems like a great agency and I think both of our interests align pretty well. I went over the manuscript again and sent it back and anticipate receiving a contract soon. I can probably give more feedback once I get more information.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!

Foinah
06-16-2011, 12:28 AM
kdesanges (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=48699) : Awesome! Congrats!
I'm pretty excited to hear what he thinks of my ms. How long was the turn around from your initial query to full request to offer?

kdesanges
06-16-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks!! I sent a query on 5/3 and received an offer on 6/11. Not too bad considering.

Robyn
06-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Ok, sent out to them. Fingers crossed. I really want to find this story a home.

ScribeLady
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I recently met someone who claimed to be a "scout" for Kneerim & Williams and asked to see my manuscript. This person mentioned Ike Williams. This "scout" is not mentioned on their website.

Frankly, I didn't find this person to be credible and am not inclined to comply with this individual's request. However, am wondering what, indeed, is a scout? A freelance literary agent? Do they collect a commission? Smells fishy to me.

Scribelady

HFgal
12-17-2012, 11:50 PM
This site:
http://www.kwblit.com/index.html

seems to have no submission guidelines. The agent I want to query, Katherine Flynn, does not have a page on AgentQuery where I can look up her preferences (although QueryTracker says she only accepts email queries). Does anyone have a source that states exactly what she wants submitted?

I've also read comments here discussing Ms. Flynn's role at the agency, that her title is Editorial Manager and some people interpret that as something other than a full agent. Any 411 on this?

I have reasons for wanting to query her specifically - she has already given me positive feedback on my project through a writers conference - so even if there are "loftier" agents at the agency, I still want to contact her.

aliceshortcake
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
HFgal, have you tried contacting them through Facebook to ask about submissions?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kneerim-Williams/119280101433904

Guinea
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey! I was wondering if anyone has been having problems sending subs to Rasheed McWilliams? My emails keep bouncing. I am using rasheed@kwblit.com as per the details on their website?

VonAngel
01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey! I was wondering if anyone has been having problems sending subs to Rasheed McWilliams? My emails keep bouncing. I am using rasheed@kwblit.com as per the details on their website?
I can't remember exactly where I got this email address (it may have been posted to their website prior to the update), but my email didn't bounce back. However, he hasn't responded yet either (query sent 12/20), but it's worth a shot. rasheed@rmlit.com

Guinea
01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
I can't remember exactly where I got this email address (it may have been posted to their website prior to the update), but my email didn't bounce back. However, he hasn't responded yet either (query sent 12/20), but it's worth a shot. rasheed@rmlit.com

Vonangel, you are an angel! I will give it a try and see what happens. What concerns me a little is that the email I've been using is the one on their website, and each time the bounce comes back saying no one at this address. Maybe he's left Kneerim?

Guinea
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Vonangel - I found the same address you gave me on his twitter page, so all to the good, but see that he has his own agency called McWilliams Agency, but he's affiliated to KWB. Sounds like a busy man.

VonAngel
02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Vonangel - I found the same address you gave me on his twitter page, so all to the good, but see that he has his own agency called McWilliams Agency, but he's affiliated to KWB. Sounds like a busy man.
Extremely busy...as I still haven't heard anything. :Shrug:

Guinea
02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Extremely busy...as I still haven't heard anything. :Shrug:

Ditto, but then I only sent the query on 14 Jan, so early days yet. When did you submit? Would be nice to know if he's an agent that doesn't respond at all or one who takes a loooooooooong time to respond.

paralith
04-12-2013, 02:47 AM
I sent a query to Rasheed McWilliams on 2/19, and got a request for a full today! That puts his response time just under the two month mark, if he's interested. He asked that I allow at least six weeks for him to read the manuscript. :)

Guinea
04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I sent a query to Rasheed McWilliams on 2/19, and got a request for a full today! That puts his response time just under the two month mark, if he's interested. He asked that I allow at least six weeks for him to read the manuscript. :)

Awesome news. Rasheed asked for my full on the 12/4 too. I had queried him on the 14 Jan, and had actually written him off. So nice surprise in my inbox. Let us know how you get on, Paralith.

MadameApeFace
10-14-2013, 01:37 AM
I queried Rasheed McWilliams on 4/26/13
I received a request for a full on 5/25/13

After hearing nothing, I nudged on 9/27/13

I still haven't gotten a response. I'll nudge again in another week or so, but then I'm moving on. It's starting to sound he maybe he extends the whole "no response means no" philosophy to fulls as well as to cold queries.

Foinah
10-14-2013, 10:34 AM
My experience was this: I queried, he responded within two days with a request for a full. At the six month mark I nudged. He said it was on his desk to be read and that he would get back to me in two weeks. At two months I nudged, he responded that it was still on his desk. At the one year mark I again nudged, got the same response, then withdrew my manuscript.
Nice enough guy, but I didn't think he would be the agent for me due to lengthy response times. I still have no idea if he ever read the manuscript ;)

SportsScribe
10-16-2013, 12:22 AM
FWIW - Queried Katherine Flynn on 10/14. Requested a full on 10/15. Awaiting her reply with as much alcohol as I can lay my hands on. ;P

Christyp
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
What are their submission guidelines? I can't find them anywhere.

SportsScribe
10-16-2013, 03:49 AM
What are their submission guidelines? I can't find them anywhere.

I couldn't either. So I clicked on the links in the "Our Agents" area until I found an agent that sounded like they were looking for what I'd written.

Then I just e-mailed her a basic query with a one graf synopsis and she answered back the next day.

SportsScribe
10-18-2013, 04:55 AM
FWIW - Queried Katherine Flynn on 10/14. Requested a full on 10/15. Awaiting her reply with as much alcohol as I can lay my hands on. ;P

Well, at least she's quick about it. Got a no today from an assistant (I think): "There’s much to admire here, your premise is quite original, but ultimately we did not feel it was a good fit for any of our agents."

I hope that's not just the standard rejection letter and that they actually saw some positive things in my novel.

mbowman
10-22-2016, 05:04 AM
Lucy Cleland asked for my full today! She must be new, only 33 queries as of querytracker, 10 full requests with two offers coming out of those...

Seikei
01-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I sent a proposal to Emma Hamilton at K&W on August 13, 2016. She asked for a chapter outline and sample chapter, which I sent 8/28. No reply. I prodded her in October. Still no reply. I think this is not only rude, but lazy, since it takes so little effort to send a stock email rejection. I have had lazy agents, and wouldn't want another.

Filigree
01-04-2017, 09:13 AM
She may still be considering it. 2 to 3 months is not long, in agent time.

CaoPaux
02-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Just a note that Ms. Bloom left in '15 for The Book Group, and agency name has reverted to Kneerim & Williams.