Top Gun
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Apocalypse Now
There's Something About Mary
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
To Have and to Have Not
Brokeback Mountain

And it's not through lack of opportunity, either. I just plain old don't wanna.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Phew..no Star Wars on the list...
Doesn't count, 'cos I actually tried to sit through one. Didn't make it, though. Oh, dear, are you frowning at me now?
:tongue

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen and don't care about seeing...

Titanic
Brokeback Mountain
Borat
The Matrix 2 or 3

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen:
Pretty Woman --> Decent film, not a must-see.
Top Gun --> Pretty good if you like that sort of thing.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding --> didn't hate it, but it's way overrated.
Apocalypse Now --> Loved it.
There's Something About Mary --> Me neither. I'm violently allergic to Stiller, and Diaz doesn't do anything for me neither.
Schindler's List --> Maybe one day, and I'll probably be glad when I do, I guess.
Hotel Rwanda --> (blank)
To Have and to [sic] Have Not --> Utterly love it.
Brokeback Mountain --> Well-enough made and acted. But the story just irked me. Two incredibly selfish men, dressed up as heroes.

Nice list. What have you seen that you like?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Off hand some that I havent seen and probably wont.

Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
Brokeback Mountain
Any of the Nightmare on Elm street movies

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Nice list. What have you seen that you like?
Oh, and also haven't seen 'Basic Instinct'.

I was reading one of Joe Eszterhaz's books, in which he doesn't half bang on about his 'B. Instinct', and I realised that I still had no wish to see it. It made me think about other films that most people have seen and that I just don't want to (as opposed to another post here, about popular films you've seen but don't like; this is about films you just don't fancy, despite other people's rave reviews).

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I "never" go see movies, yet I've seen Top Gun and Tron (an apparent precursor to the "Matrix" movies that I've never seen).

I've not seen any of the others listed, though I did hear a news conference where someone asked the President if he had seen Brokeback Mountain, and he hadn't seen it either.

For larger, more complete lists of movies I've never seen, please consult these websites:
http://allmovie.com
http://imdb.com

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Slim: You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and...blow

Come On! How could you not want to see To Have and Have Not?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Top Gun's the only movie on that list *worth* seeing.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Slim: You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and...blow

Come On! How could you not want to see To Have and Have Not?
Dunno. Just ign'ant, I guess.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Brokeback Mountain, WMDs, the list goes on and on.... ;)

Give the man credit, he has raised obliviousness to a fine art.

Movies I've never seen:

The Wedding Singer
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Brokeback Mountain
Lost in Translation
The Girl With One Pearl Earring (or whatever that's called)
Hotel Rwanda
Borat

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty Woman--fluff at best.
Top Gun--more fluff.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding--not bad, tight story.
Apocalypse Now--revisionist history doesn't play well here.
There's Something About Mary--disgusting, yes, but the funniest move I've ever seen.
Schindler's List--Not for everyone. The truth hurts.
Hotel Rwanda--Not for everyone.
To Have and to Have Not--I can't even remember it.
Brokeback Mountain--Won't buy into the hype, so I haven't seen it.

Add to your no see list:

Lost in Translation (utter drivel)

Letters from Iwo Jima (Revising history again.)

Mulon Rouge

Anything with Tom Cruise, Madonna, Adam Sandler, and Wil Farrell.

I will recommend:

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Pursuit of Happyness

The Sixth Sense

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think we had a list like this once.

I've never seen
any Godfather movie
Goodfellas
Scarface
anything with James Dean
anything with Marlon Brando (except Apocolpyse Now)
anything with Leonardo Decrapio
The Sting
Dances with Wolves
Schindler's List
Brokeback Mountain
Taxi
Driving Miss Daisy
The Color Purple
Roots

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen:

The English Patient
Crash--the one that won best picture
Million Dollar Baby

I could list a thousand others... but won't..

Shadow--you have GOT to see Scarface

..."and you, what do you call yourself?"

.."My name is Tony Montana.."

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me those who refuse to submit to the hype hollywood puts out are better off. I write novels and screenplays (teleplays at one time, too.) so I sorta have to watch the stuff.

Some I still won't watch. I wish I'd never seen Scarface, it sucked on too many macho levels. 'Sides, it was almost a carbon copy of the Godfather series, 'cept it was a hispanic main C. Load of crap. Any screenwriter here could do the same copy with an asian, or german, or russian, or canadian bad guy. Same plot, different cliches and accents. So what.

Remember all the hype for QT's latest movie? Last month? Hell, I doubt it cleared 10 mil at the box. Ha. QT's stuff has sucked since R. Dogs, and that was marginal just because it was original.

Zahra, don't buy into the hype. You've done pretty well so far. I just hope you didn't watch things like Duece Biggalo when you post what you don't watch.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me those who refuse to submit to the hype hollywood puts out are better off. I write novels and screenplays (teleplays at one time, too.) so I sorta have to watch the stuff.

Some I still won't watch. I wish I'd never seen Scarface, it sucked on too many macho levels. 'Sides, it was almost a carbon copy of the Godfather series, 'cept it was a hispanic main C. Load of crap. Any screenwriter here could do the same copy with an asian, or german, or russian, or canadian bad guy. Same plot, different cliches and accents. So what.

Remember all the hype for QT's latest movie? Last month? Hell, I doubt it cleared 10 mil at the box. Ha. QT's stuff has sucked since R. Dogs, and that was marginal just because it was original.

Zahra, don't buy into the hype. You've done pretty well so far. I just hope you didn't watch things like Duece Biggalo when you post what you don't watch.

No, no Deuce Bigalow or anything like it. :) I've actually got Apocalypse Now in my video collection, but I can't bring myself...just never in the mood. Just fairly sure I won't enjoy it. But it's there, just in case. Mind you, it was years before I could persuade myself to watch my copy of Brief Encounter.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Add to your no see list:

Lost in Translation (utter drivel)

Letters from Iwo Jima (Revising history again.)

Mulon Rouge

Anything with Tom Cruise, Madonna, Adam Sandler, and Wil Farrell.

I will recommend:

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Pursuit of Happyness

The Sixth Sense

Have no intention of seeing L.I.T. (shudder) or Letters (shudderx2). Could not make it through Moulin. Could not persuade myself to see Happyness even when on a plane and even though I like Will Smith's work. Love 6th Sense. (And before you all say something, I didn't know there was a twist because I try not to read anything about a movie I want to see - I just look at the review 'stars'. So I was surprised - hurray!):)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen:
Pretty Woman
Top Gun
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Apocalypse Now
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
To Have and to Have Not
Brokeback Mountain

You're missing some incredibly good movies.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
You're missing some incredibly good movies.

Possibly. But for various reasons, they just don't appeal.

I might one day see Hotel Rwanda, but I have read - and still read - about the Rwanda genocide quite extensively already. Also read and enjoyed Brokeback the short story, but my heart kind of sinks when I contemplate watching the movie. I think the whole premise of 'Pretty Woman' is typical Hollywood fluff, and even before I read the screenplay of 'Basic Instinct', I suspected I'd find the film woman-fearing and silly.

Etc.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Eh. Most of the movies on your list won't make you a better human being if you see them, so I wouldn't worry about it. Many of them aren't all that great. I will say, however, that despite my disdain for the "chick flick," Greek Wedding surprised me. And To Have or Have Not is simply a classic in every sense of the word. Howard Hawks was a great director. And Bogart, Brennan, and Bacall are just delightful. Of all those films, that is the one I'd recommend you see.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Pretty Woman - it was OK, in a brainless kind of way
Top Gun - haven't seen, don't care
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - OK, plus it had the cute guy from "Northern Exposure" :)
Apocalypse Now - saw it in my teens. meh
There's Something About Mary - haven't seen, not my sense of humour
Schindler's List - haven't seen, don't care strongly either way
Hotel Rwanda - haven't seen, definitely not my cup of tea
To Have and Have Not - have somehow managed to miss, would like to see (Bogie and Bacall - what's not to like?)
Brokeback Mountain - liked it, but not a film I'm likely to watch twice (too depressing)

I never watch modern horror movies, no matter how good the review, because I hate gore. Not violence per se - Zatoichi is fantastic - but the kind of sadistic crap that passes for entertainment these days. Nor am I terribly interested in war movies (esp. WWII - yawn). Or anything gritty and depressing, even if it has the best acting on the planet.

Never seen - or likely to see - "Ring", "Saw"; "Reservoir Dogs" or similar QT movies; "Saving Private Ryan", "Pearl Harbour"; "Trainspotting", "Nil By Mouth", "Romper Stomper"; I could go on indefinitely...

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the ones I have seen on that list...

The English Patient: Liked it, but the novel is superbly written. I personally love Michael Ondaatje's style. I can see why he won a Booker for the novel.

There's Something About Mary: I thought some scenes were outrageously funny. Saw an interesting doco about this, and apparently the first people for the studio to see the script were worried about showing it to their boss. They thought it was extremely funny, but a bit risque and wondered how he'd react. Eventually he wondered why he was the only one who hadn't read this script that he'd been hearing rumours about, and demanded to see it. And when he finally did, he thought it was the funniest he'd ever seen... ever. So the scriptwriter knew what they were doing, that's for sure.

Basic Instinct: I thought it was a pretty good erotic thriller, and Sharon Stone managed to carry the theme of the power of sexuality better than most actresses could have. She could have twisted my mind pretty much the way she did Nick Curran's (Michael Douglas), that's for sure.

Quentin Tarantino Movies: Well, you either love or hate Pulp Fiction, and I couldn't count the number of people I know who rate it their cult-classic favourite. I'm not so keen on the Kill Bill movies or Reservoir Dogs. There's one aspect of Tarantino's work that fascinates me... his ability to create slick, quite enthralling, black-humouresque dialog around everyday topics, often in the context of conversations that are essentially bizarre philisophical debates. Amongst the obvious violence there are quite subtle themes running through the scripts. Love him or hate him, I for one can see why he's successful.