Masters of the Universe

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Well, it can't be any worse than the first try.

Right?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20604

The franchise has been reimagined by the producer and the writers and pitched to Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in 300. A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by technology and the evil Skeletor.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Skeletor is buff. I think someone on youtube the other day commented, "what is with Skeletor, anyway? His mom's a skeleton, and his dad's a body builder?"

I have often wondered that myself. I assumed it was some bad mix or some horrible accident. . . that happened when He-man's people stole Greyskull from him. Becuase thats my little He-Man fanfic.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
One day, as a child, I was sick and had to stay home from school. I mean, sick right to my stomach, couldn't even stand up without my head spinning. My parents set me up in the loungeroom, laid out on the lounge with a bucket beside me. They turned on the TV, and left me to it while my dad went to work and my mum went about her housework in other rooms. I'd watched He-Man before, I had nothing against it, wasn't my favorite cartoon (Astro Boy and Robotech were), but yeah, I'd watch it. But... something about it that day... the dull voices, the desert landscapes, the neverending dry absolutely darned awful look of it all... the more I saw, the worse I felt, every minute of the horrible show just dragged on and on, and I couldn't even drag myself up to turn it off. I was never able to watch another episode again without feeling sick to my stomach. So yeah, I may pass on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
The first movie was pretty bad. I sure hope they actually know what they're doing when they make this new version. By that I mean, I hope they don't make the story take place on Earth, which I seem to remember them doing with the live-action film a long time ago.

I used to love the first TV show. The second was complete garbage, and only lasted a couple weeks. The third (the Cartoon Network one) had great animation, and some good storylines, but was too serious for my taste.

But I would like to echo the question posed by another poster: why ravaged by technology? I seem to remember technology being an integral part of the old show, and that portions of this technology were incorporated into the original toy line, in plastic model form.

I think what made Skeletor cool was the fact he used magic and technology combined to do his evil deeds. If it's all technology, which is what I get from this, then what is left to make Skeletor the perfect villain?

It's kind of like when they introduced the Evil Horde. Hordeac was, in my opinion, nowhere near as evil as Skeletor, and yet they marketed him as even worse than the original villain.

In any case, I wish them the best with this movie, and I hope it sells. But I also hope they stay a little more true to the original story and characters than they did with the first movie.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Thunder Cats and Thundarr the Barbarian - makes me smile just hearing those names. Shall we all run out and get Prince Valliant haircuts and dye our hair blond in honor of He-Man? Could anyone but Larry King play Skeletor?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
anybody rember Bravestar? The Native American sherrif of New Texas. His mechanical horse was his deputy and he had animal powers.

The show didn't last long, but I remember it. It always seems like the shows I like end up getting canceled early.

Grrrr!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, Willem Dafoe would rock as Skeletor.

Even as bad as the first live-action film was, I still love Frank Langella's Skeletor. The makeup was awesome. Very scary villain. And Meg Foster (she of the very freaky eyes) was great as Evil-Lyn.

I will never believe the character is the real Skeletor unless he has The Voice.

You know, The Voice that Skeletor had in the original series. It just sounded like pure evil, perfect for someone as bad as Skeletor was.