PDA

View Full Version : Masters of the Universe

ChaosTitan
05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, it can't be any worse than the first try.

Right?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20604

The franchise has been reimagined by the producer and the writers and pitched to Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in 300. A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by technology and the evil Skeletor.

pconsidine
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Why "technology"? Is Mattel trying to get kids interested in Matchbox cars again?

scarletpeaches
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Skeletor...*swoon*

The_Grand_Duchess
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Well as a child of the 80's I'm excited. Brought season one of the show for the Duke.

By the power of Greyskull! Anyone else ever think that Skelator wanted it becuase it was his house first?

scarletpeaches
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I have the power!

jvc
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Let's hope it is better than the first attempt. It could be interesting.

Celia Cyanide
06-28-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't know why, but I am so excited for this movie. I hope He-Man comes back in a big way. Although Skeletor is by far the coolest character.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZjC1vw2nSY

dclary
06-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Skeletor...*swoon*

Great. Another role model for supermodels.

"Vanessa! He's a size -1!"

ChaosTitan
06-29-2007, 04:44 AM
I really need to stay away from YouTube links.

Brokeback Snake Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeDWCLajQk&mode=related&search=).

I have no words...

Celia Cyanide
06-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Great. Another role model for supermodels.

"Vanessa! He's a size -1!"

Skeletor is buff. I think someone on youtube the other day commented, "what is with Skeletor, anyway? His mom's a skeleton, and his dad's a body builder?"

The_Grand_Duchess
06-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Skeletor is buff. I think someone on youtube the other day commented, "what is with Skeletor, anyway? His mom's a skeleton, and his dad's a body builder?"

I have often wondered that myself. I assumed it was some bad mix or some horrible accident. . . that happened when He-man's people stole Greyskull from him. Becuase thats my little He-Man fanfic.

Ziljon
06-30-2007, 06:09 AM
"Thunder, Thunder, ThunderCats Ho-oh!!!"

Vincent
06-30-2007, 06:21 AM
One day, as a child, I was sick and had to stay home from school. I mean, sick right to my stomach, couldn't even stand up without my head spinning. My parents set me up in the loungeroom, laid out on the lounge with a bucket beside me. They turned on the TV, and left me to it while my dad went to work and my mum went about her housework in other rooms. I'd watched He-Man before, I had nothing against it, wasn't my favorite cartoon (Astro Boy and Robotech were), but yeah, I'd watch it. But... something about it that day... the dull voices, the desert landscapes, the neverending dry absolutely darned awful look of it all... the more I saw, the worse I felt, every minute of the horrible show just dragged on and on, and I couldn't even drag myself up to turn it off. I was never able to watch another episode again without feeling sick to my stomach. So yeah, I may pass on this one.

Celia Cyanide
07-01-2007, 06:32 AM
I miss Thundarr The Barbarian. I have been nostalgic for the oddest things lately.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-01-2007, 08:47 AM
The first movie was pretty bad. I sure hope they actually know what they're doing when they make this new version. By that I mean, I hope they don't make the story take place on Earth, which I seem to remember them doing with the live-action film a long time ago.

I used to love the first TV show. The second was complete garbage, and only lasted a couple weeks. The third (the Cartoon Network one) had great animation, and some good storylines, but was too serious for my taste.

But I would like to echo the question posed by another poster: why ravaged by technology? I seem to remember technology being an integral part of the old show, and that portions of this technology were incorporated into the original toy line, in plastic model form.

I think what made Skeletor cool was the fact he used magic and technology combined to do his evil deeds. If it's all technology, which is what I get from this, then what is left to make Skeletor the perfect villain?

It's kind of like when they introduced the Evil Horde. Hordeac was, in my opinion, nowhere near as evil as Skeletor, and yet they marketed him as even worse than the original villain.

In any case, I wish them the best with this movie, and I hope it sells. But I also hope they stay a little more true to the original story and characters than they did with the first movie.

III
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Thunder Cats and Thundarr the Barbarian - makes me smile just hearing those names. Shall we all run out and get Prince Valliant haircuts and dye our hair blond in honor of He-Man? Could anyone but Larry King play Skeletor?

The_Grand_Duchess
07-03-2007, 06:27 PM
anybody rember Bravestar? The Native American sherrif of New Texas. His mechanical horse was his deputy and he had animal powers.

ccarver30
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Where is She-Ra!??!!??!

Celia Cyanide
07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Could anyone but Larry King play Skeletor?

Wilhem DeFoe

ChaosTitan
07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Wilhem DeFoe

Ooooh, Willem Dafoe would rock as Skeletor.

Even as bad as the first live-action film was, I still love Frank Langella's Skeletor. The makeup was awesome. Very scary villain. And Meg Foster (she of the very freaky eyes) was great as Evil-Lyn.

Celia Cyanide
07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I think Angelica Houston would make a great Evil-lyn.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
anybody rember Bravestar? The Native American sherrif of New Texas. His mechanical horse was his deputy and he had animal powers.

The show didn't last long, but I remember it. It always seems like the shows I like end up getting canceled early.

Grrrr!

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
So our dream cast has Willem Dafoe as Skeletor and Angelica Huston as Evil-Lyn.

Anyone else?

He-Man?

Teela?

Man-at-Arms?

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Ooooh, Willem Dafoe would rock as Skeletor.

Even as bad as the first live-action film was, I still love Frank Langella's Skeletor. The makeup was awesome. Very scary villain. And Meg Foster (she of the very freaky eyes) was great as Evil-Lyn.

I will never believe the character is the real Skeletor unless he has The Voice.

You know, The Voice that Skeletor had in the original series. It just sounded like pure evil, perfect for someone as bad as Skeletor was.

III
07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Emo Phillips as He-Man with a CGI body. Of course he'd have to dye his hair blonde.

MDavis
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Where is She-Ra!??!!??!

I'm here! I'm here! :D

But seriously, I'm very excited if this is true. Alan Oppenheimer HAS to do Skeletor's voice again...it's as iconic as Optimus Prime, except HARDER to replicate.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
So our dream cast has Willem Dafoe as Skeletor and Angelica Huston as Evil-Lyn.

Anyone else?

...Snipped...

Man-at-Arms?

For Man-At-Arms, I would probably choose my namesake. Sean Connery would be perfect as Duncan.

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
For Man-At-Arms, I would probably choose my namesake. Sean Connery would be perfect as Duncan.

Oooh, I like. :D

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm here! I'm here! :-D

But seriously, I'm very excited if this is true. Alan Oppenheimer HAS to do Skeletor's voice again...it's as iconic as Optimus Prime, except HARDER to replicate.

Agreed. It's like The Voice of Darth Vader. Just like only James Earl Jones could do Darth Vader, so the same is true for Skeletor. There is only one Voice of Skeletor ... the original.

MDavis
07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I used to love the first TV show. The second was complete garbage, and only lasted a couple weeks. The third (the Cartoon Network one) had great animation, and some good storylines, but was too serious for my taste...I think what made Skeletor cool was the fact he used magic and technology combined to do his evil deeds.

It's kind of like when they introduced the Evil Horde. Hordeac was, in my opinion, nowhere near as evil as Skeletor, and yet they marketed him as even worse than the original villain.

I'd like to add one crucial element to this...Skeletor was FUNNY. He used to call his henchmen "boobs" when they screwed up. He mocked He-Man and the others.

He toggled between evil and funny in half a breath and you couldn't help but admire that. That was Hordac's problem--and the problem with the new series. With no humor, the evil is just...some other series. Not Masters of the Universe.

III
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Agreed. It's like The Voice of Darth Vader. Just like only James Earl Jones could do Darth Vader, so the same is true for Skeletor. There is only one Voice of Skeletor ... the original.

Again, I must cast my vote for Lary King as Skeletor. The sinister voice. The psychotic laugh. The shoulders, people, the shoulders! No makeup needed, just throw a cowl on him.

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Again, I must cast my vote for Lary King as Skeletor. The sinister voice. The psychotic laugh. The shoulders, people, the shoulders! No makeup needed, just throw a cowl on him.

:ROFL:

Problem is, they'd need a stunt double the minute he had to swing a sword at He-Man. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen Larry King not sitting behind that desk. Can the man even walk? ;)

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I think you're missing one crucial element here...Skeletor was FUNNY. He used to call his henchmen "boobs" when they screwed up. He mocked He-Man and the others.

He toggled between evil and funny in half a breath and you couldn't help but admire that. That was Hordac's problem--and the problem with the new series. With no humor, the evil is just...some other series. Not Masters of the Universe.

Very true. And I had forgotten about that. The whole original show was a lot more humorous than the newer shows ... especially the Cartoon Network version.

I personally think, now that I really stop to consider, one of the reasons the first show didn't last longer, was that it became more serious than the early seasons.

And yeah: Hordac definitely was not funny. He seemed to me more like an overbearing idiot than like the perfect villain. I always wondered, watching Hordac, what exactly made him a bigger villain than Skeletor? Perhaps in the toy line he was, but in the show I thought he was more lame than anything else.

III
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
:ROFL:

Problem is, they'd need a stunt double the minute he had to swing a sword at He-Man. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen Larry King not sitting behind that desk. Can the man even walk? ;)

Good point. Maybe they could tie some strings to his suspenders and move him like a marionette. Get Jim Henson's people on the phone!

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
And yeah: Hordac definitely was not funny. He seemed to me more like an overbearing idiot than like the perfect villain. I always wondered, watching Hordac, what exactly made him a bigger villain than Skeletor? Perhaps in the toy line he was, but in the show I thought he was more lame than anything else.

I wonder...could it be because She-ra was marketed toward young girls? More emphasis was put on the female characters, who vastly outnumbered the males. I always thought Catra and ShadowWeaver were better villians than Hordak.

But that's because chicks rule! :box:

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Hmmm. They'd have to do a CGI-Skeletor, because this:

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/imagegallery/lfcc06images/AlanOppenheimer.jpg

Isn't exactly the face of evil.

:tongue

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I wonder...could it be because She-ra was marketed toward young girls? I always thought Catra and ShadowWeaver were better villians than Hordak.

But that's because chicks rule! :box:

In this case, I agree with you. :D Look at Evil-Lynn. She was one good villain.

Of course I also had a fondness for Teela. And the Sorceress was pretty cool too. Even Adam's mom, whose name escapes me at the moment, was awesome when she flew her spaceship up, over and behind Skeletor's Collector.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/imagegallery/lfcc06images/AlanOppenheimer.jpg

Who said anything about the face? The movie could have a voice-over done, just like George Lucas did with Darth Vader. I mean, I don't remember James Earl Jones's face ever appearing in any of the Star Wars films.

So, this gentleman's face doesn't need to be in the picture, and they could easily, with the technologies they have these days, do an excellent voice-over.

MDavis
07-05-2007, 07:56 PM

True, but the VOICE, the VOICE :) They'd need to do something anyway because Skeletor's face was the only skeletal thing about him. The rest of him is musclebound (this is of course if we're dreaming of them sticking to Skeletor's original look).

C.bronco
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I had a lot of fun playing with my brother's He-Man and Skeletor action figures. He even had Skeletor's castle- whee!

ChaosTitan
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Who said anything about the face? The movie could have a voice-over done, just like George Lucas did with Darth Vader. I mean, I don't remember James Earl Jones's face ever appearing in any of the Star Wars films.

No, JEJ's face never appeared. No one's face did, until that final moment in Jedi. Vader's face was a mask, so it was quite easy to buy into the voiceover.

But we aren't arguing against each other's points. I was merely pointing out (in an apparently failed attempt at levity) that the original voiceover actor probably wouldn't step into Skeletor's boots. CGI or make-up, they'd need a different person on screen to portray the character.

True, but the VOICE, the VOICE :) They'd need to do something anyway because Skeletor's face was the only skeletal thing about him. The rest of him is musclebound (this is of course if we're dreaming of them sticking to Skeletor's original look).

Personally? I don't see modern audiences buying into a big, muscle-bound guy talking in that high-pitched voice. I adored He-Man and She-Ra as a child, so they'll always have a soft spot in my heart. Heck, this thread is making me want to sit down and watch my Season 1/Volume 1 DVD's.

But from what little I've read about the story they are trying to pitch, they'll probably go with a dark Skeletor. Not the funny, "You boobs!" villain from the cartoon.

MDavis
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
But from what little I've read about the story they are trying to pitch, they'll probably go with a dark Skeletor. Not the funny, "You boobs!" villain from the cartoon.

Good point, you're probably right. The cartoon villain probably wouldn't translate well to a live action feature film. However I hope they don't let the humor element drop completely--maybe a dark humor for Skeletor. I think that's one of the reasons the Transformer's movie felt so great. Lots of good laughs.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-06-2007, 02:05 AM
No, JEJ's face never appeared. No one's face did, until that final moment in Jedi. Vader's face was a mask, so it was quite easy to buy into the voiceover.

But we aren't arguing against each other's points. I was merely pointing out (in an apparently failed attempt at levity) that the original voiceover actor probably wouldn't step into Skeletor's boots. CGI or make-up, they'd need a different person on screen to portray the character.
...Snipped.

Indeed. After I posted, I re-read your post and realized your true intent by it.

No harm done. :)

Leva
07-06-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm betting, with the success of Transformers, this will get tons of funding with the intent of making it a summer blockbuster. The rumors of the movie have been going around for awhile ... And, again, with Transformer's success, we're probably going to see quite a few 80's and 90's cartoons turned into blockbuster live action movies as other studios jump on the bandwagon ... and they are, after all, running out of superheros and they've discovered Nostalgia Sells when it's packaged up bright and shiny and very loud with expensive special effects and released on a major summer Holiday. :-)

(For what it's worth one cartoon I'd love to see as live action would be Gargoyles, but that's just me. I would not be overly surprised to see this happen in the next few years, though there's nothing happening there now.)

Rainy Night
07-06-2007, 03:16 AM

Would Larry King wear the suspenders if he played Skeletor?

I'm voting we cast Alan Combs (of Hannity and Combs) as Skeletor...

http://www.foxnews.com/js/photoPop.html?0