PDA

View Full Version : recommend a miniseries

sunandshadow
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
There are several tv miniseries based on novels that I love: Pride and Prejudice, Shogun, Gormenghast, and The 10 Kingdoms spring immediately to mind. Can anyone recommend other similar miniseries? (Someone will probably ask about anime since an anime series is similar to a miniseries - you can recommend them if you've want but I've probably already seen most of them.)

ChaosTitan
05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
North and South, Books 1 and 2
The Stand
IT
Merlin
Roots

Saint Fool
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Lonesome Dove

plaidearthworm
05-24-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure if this is out on DVD, but on Japanese tv a couple of years ago they did 'Musashi' with Ebizo Ichikawa. A bit longer than the average mini-series, it had many chapters, but was a complete one-shot, not an ongoing series. Completely compelling; I loved it from start to finish. They did an English subtitle version for the Hawaii market, so you don't have to know Japanese to enjoy it. A great way to get lost in a different world for a while--I even read the Book of Five Rings after watching it.

Backward Masking
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Band of Brothers

zahra
05-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Band of Brothers

Was B of Bs a miniseries? Didn't it go on for, like, ever?

What is the definition, anyway?

ChaosTitan
05-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Band of Brothers was a 10-part miniseries.

zahra
05-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Band of Brothers was a 10-part miniseries.
But how short does it have to be to not be a series? Or is it just that it has to be finite?

alaskamatt17
05-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Merlin was pretty good. I'll second that.

I heard that HBO has a Game of Thrones miniseries in the works. It has a lot of potential.

CheshireCat
05-25-2007, 06:07 AM
If you like the sprawling, epic-style miniseries, try The Winds of War and War and Remembrance. They made some casting changes between the two parts, replacing Ali McGraw (thank God) with Jane Seymour, and sulky Jan Michael Vincent with a-much-better-looking-actor-with-much-more-talent-whose-name-I-can't-remember.

Robert Mitchum was old for the role, but did a good job anyway. Really good effects for the war/battle scenes. And the concentration camp scenes were harrowing.

I'm a WW II buff, so found it all fascinating.

Loved Shogun. Waiting impatiently for them to release Noble House on DVD (Pierce Brosnan was fantastic in that role).

The Kennedys of Massachusetts was a good one -- also not yet available on DVD as far as I know.

Rich Man, Poor Man was another fav, but I haven't seen it in years and I'm betting it hasn't aged well. Some don't.

North and South (both books) was really good, ditto The Stand. Just got the anniversary edition DVD of Roots and am looking forward to seeing it again.

ChaosTitan
05-25-2007, 06:49 AM
But how short does it have to be to not be a series? Or is it just that it has to be finite?

It definitely has to be finite, but in the end, I think it's up to the networking airing it to label it.

Miniseries are fewer and further between nowadays, but we are seeing more of what they're calling a "limited series." Daybreak and The Black Donnelly's were limited series' aired this year. Instead of saying "this is a really, really long movie broken up over a couple of nights," they are saying "We're telling a story in one-hour increments, over the course of eight weeks."

It gives them a chance to air something, without committing to an entire season, or the expense of producing a traditional miniseries.

Kentuk
05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
One of the first mini-series was Once an Eagle, based on the book by Anton Myer (think that's his name, can't find the book right now.) It was about a professional American soldier (fictional) who fought WWI, and finally died in Vietnam. I liked it because both sets of grandparents were army of the same generation and I gained alot of insight. This played back in the early seventies and I haven't seen it on tape or DVD.

Writer2011
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Well i've seen a few...

North And South Books 1 and 2

Heard Roots is exceptional and it's out on DVD

V was a good one too :)

CATastrophe
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
James A. Michener's Centennial

I loved the book and the mini series. I believe the mini series first aired on PBS. Definitely worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076993/

zahra
05-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks, chaostitan. OK, then. British triumphs: 'Charles 2nd: The Power and the Passion', with Rufus Sewell, and 'State of Play', with Bill Nighy, John Simm and James McAvoy of 'Last King of Scotland' fame. Great stuff.

I also have fond memories of a US one that came out long ago - it has Charlton Heston, Billy Dee Williams and (am I imagining this?) Brad Davis of Midnight Express fame in it and was called 'Once Upon a Murder'. It was about a serial killer who rejoiced in the name of Foxy Funderburke. I loved it. I think it was also released under the name of 'Chiefs'.

CheshireCat
05-26-2007, 05:43 AM
I also have fond memories of a US one that came out long ago - it has Charlton Heston, Billy Dee Williams and (am I imagining this?) Brad Davis of Midnight Express fame in it and was called 'Once Upon a Murder'. It was about a serial killer who rejoiced in the name of Foxy Funderburke. I loved it. I think it was also released under the name of 'Chiefs'.

Yeah, in the US it was "Chiefs." Brad Davis was in it. Hmm. I wouldn't mind seeing that one again. Wonder if it's available on DVD? I'll add it to my check list.

Another one was "Celebrity." Three teenage boys share a secret they have to keep as they each become famous men. (Can I write back cover copy, or can't I? :D )

aadams73
05-26-2007, 01:41 PM
North and South (The BBC series)
Wives and Daughters (You'll like these first two if you liked P&P)
The Thornbirds (Yeah, so what, I loved it :D)

Ohhh Cheshire Cat, I remember Celebrity! IIRC it's based on an equally good book.

ChaosTitan
05-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but "Into the West" has been recommended to me several times.

CheshireCat
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Ohhh Cheshire Cat, I remember Celebrity! IIRC it's based on an equally good book.

What's the BBC "North and South" about? I don't recall seeing or reading anything about it. But since I enjoyed "Wives and Daughters" and most other BBC series and minis, I'd probably enjoy it.

Two of my all-time favorite multi-part series are still "I, Claudius" and "The Six Wives of Henry VIII."

The_Grand_Duchess
05-27-2007, 08:14 AM
It definitely has to be finite, but in the end, I think it's up to the networking airing it to label it.

Miniseries are fewer and further between nowadays, but we are seeing more of what they're calling a "limited series." Daybreak and The Black Donnelly's were limited series' aired this year. Instead of saying "this is a really, really long movie broken up over a couple of nights," they are saying "We're telling a story in one-hour increments, over the course of eight weeks."

It gives them a chance to air something, without committing to an entire season, or the expense of producing a traditional miniseries.

I think the two you mentioned were supposed to be actual shows with mutlitple seasons but the ratings weren't good enough for them to commit. So they became 'limited series' :)

Cassie
05-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Thornbirds is the first one that comes to mind. Loved it!

ChaosTitan
05-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I think the two you mentioned were supposed to be actual shows with mutlitple seasons but the ratings weren't good enough for them to commit. So they became 'limited series' :)

Daybreak was meant to air in a limited run during Lost's winter hiatus. I didn't watch it (and apparently neither did a lot of others), so I don't know if the concept would have supported multiple seasons.

The Black Donnelly's was meant to air during Studio 60's spring hiatus, and a limited number of episodes were ordered.

If either one had actually done well in the ratings, maybe the networks would have picked them up for second "seasons." I guess we'll never know, but "limited series" is definitely a new category.

Toothpaste
05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Ooh if you like hot men on tall ships, the Horatio Hornblower series is awesome. They made one group of a series, and then a few years later another one. The acting and writing is amazing, and it's really a nice old fashioned yarn. (by the way if you don't like hot men on tall ships, but just like shows about life at sea and war and battles and stuff, this is still a good'un for you!)

ChaosTitan
05-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Ooh if you like hot men on tall ships, the Horatio Hornblower series is awesome.

Ioan Gruffud and Jamie Bamber. *pants*

nevada
05-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Brideshead Revisited. Had it on tape. Watched it all the time. Brilliant adaptation of a brilliant book. To me that is still the epitome of a mini-series.

Edited to add: How can I forget the Prime Suspect mini-series? Loved them all. I was sorry to see it end, but it was a great end.

zahra
05-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Brideshead Revisited. Had it on tape. Watched it all the time. Brilliant adaptation of a brilliant book. To me that is still the epitome of a mini-series.

Edited to add: How can I forget the Prime Suspect mini-series? Loved them all. I was sorry to see it end, but it was a great end.
Prime Sus occured to me too, but I can't think of them as mini-series..(es). Nor 'Cracker'. Serial drama? We in UK tend to say, '4-part drama' rather than 'mini-series'. That might be why I think of mini-series as American and sprawling.

I remember my first one. It was called Studs Lonigan, and it starred Harry Hamlin, and towards the end of the first episode, there was a power black-out or a TV techies' strike, and we didn't get to see the rest of it for months afterwards.

And (how could I forget? - time for that care-home) one which does deserve the 'sprawling' tag is the brilliant, 'Our Friends in the North', with a young(er) Daniel Craig and Chris Eccleston. MUST SEE!!!

Other Brit recommendations: 'Holding On', 'Edge of Darkness', '20,000 Streets Under the Sky'. All available on DVD.

Serenity
05-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Ioan Gruffud and Jamie Bamber. *pants*

Dude, I have those. Uh... *peruses shelf of VHS tapes* I have them somewhere. *panics* WHERE IS MY HORATIO HORNBLOWER?

Heh... they're here somewhere. :D

Yeah, they're here...

aadams73
05-27-2007, 11:16 PM
What's the BBC "North and South" about?

It's about a young woman and her family moving to an industrial mill town. She becomes involved with workers' rights and falls in love with the mill owner.

E.G. Gammon
05-28-2007, 04:13 AM
There are several tv miniseries based on novels that I love: Pride and Prejudice, Shogun, Gormenghast, and The 10 Kingdoms spring immediately to mind. Can anyone recommend other similar miniseries? (Someone will probably ask about anime since an anime series is similar to a miniseries - you can recommend them if you've want but I've probably already seen most of them.)

Nice to see someone remembers The 10th Kingdom. That's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

My recommendation:

SCIFI's recent mini-series, The Lost Room, was surprisingly amazing. It stars Peter Krause from Six Feet Under. It's out on DVD.

Varthikes
05-30-2007, 01:49 AM
FarScape: The Peacekeeper Wars
Dinotopia

Inkdaub
05-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Merlin was pretty good. I'll second that.

I heard that HBO has a Game of Thrones miniseries in the works. It has a lot of potential.

I thought Game of Thrones was going to be a regular series where each book book was adapted into a season of shows.

Bmwhtly
05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, most of the American ones that I'd think of have been mentioned, but there a few British miniseries that deserve a mention.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People were based on the novels by John LeCarre. They are superb and the character of George Smiley is, in my opinion, Sir Alec Guiness' best role ever. It's just a shame that people remember him for Star Wars rather than this. Ah Well.

The other one (right at the other end of the spectrum) is something of an oddity. Back in the 70's there was a sort of sit-com called Auf Weidersen, Pet about a group of British builders working overseas. It was revived a few years ago and the first series of the revived series is really enjoyable. 6 episodes at 1hour and it is a real progression through the series.

zahra
05-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Bet you wish you'd never asked, now...

NiennaC
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but "Into the West" has been recommended to me several times.

No one's posted in this thread for a while, but I had to revive it to tell you WATCH INTO THE WEST. It was great.

zahra
06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Is anyone watching 'The Tudors', with Jonathan Rhys-Myers? is it any good? It isn't in the UK yet. Jonathan R-M needs me to do naughty things to him. He really does.

Gravity
06-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll second Centennial. Also a really old one, Against the Wind, about the colonization of Australia. Fascinating stuff.

reenkam
06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
The Mists of Avalon

It's an amazing minseries based on an amazing book

:)

ChaosTitan
06-29-2007, 04:34 AM
No one's posted in this thread for a while, but I had to revive it to tell you WATCH INTO THE WEST. It was great.

I had to scroll back to make sure you were quoting me. :D I'll look into it next time I'm at Blockbuster. The cast alone is worth it.

NiennaC
06-29-2007, 05:23 AM
I had to scroll back to make sure you were quoting me. :D I'll look into it next time I'm at Blockbuster. The cast alone is worth it.

Oops. Guess I better remember to make sure I write who I'm quoting. Hehe, sorry. Anyway, yeah. The cast is great, the directer is great, the story is great. It's a win, win, win.

The Mists of Avalon

It's an amazing minseries based on an amazing book

:)

I think I considered watching this one once. Maybe I will again, summer is a notoriously bad TV season so I'm in desperate need of something good. Who was the book by, by the way?

ChaosTitan
06-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Who was the book by, by the way?

Marion Zimmer Bradley

travelgal
06-30-2007, 08:05 AM
I'll second Centennial. Also a really old one, Against the Wind, about the colonization of Australia. Fascinating stuff.

Oh, crikey, Against the Wind. Loved the soundtrack, as well.

Roots
Jesus of Nazareth
Ned Kelly
Thornbirds.
Pride and Prejiduce
Sense and Sensibility.
Children of Dune (Alec Newman is cute!)
Hornblower
Woman of Substance
Bangkok Hilton (Nicole Kidman got set up by her boyfirnd and ended up on Death Row for drug possession)

Can't recall of the name of this one, but Hugo Weaving played this miner who makes a great fortune, has his infant daughter stolen by his vindictive father in law, has two sons but loses them, one of the sons and his grandchildren all drowned on one day, and by the time he finds an heir, she is the daughter of the daughter who got stolen...and she's a nun. Classic.

childeroland
07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
The Buccaneers with Mira Sorvino and Carla Gugino.
Pride and Prejudice. Best. Miniseries. Ever.
Is the Hugo Weaving series After the Deluge?

kristin724
07-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Totally agree with North and South, Hornblower, I've heard good things about Into the West as well. I'm just getting into the Sharpe books and tv movies myself. I also just read Lady Chatterley's Lover, and the 93 miniseries based on the book is a very faithful adaptation.

V wasn't based on a book, but its novelization by AC Crispin is great. Its one of the books I've read the most. Maybe this is a topic for Wiki. They have an 80s American Television catergory, why not a miniseries based on movies tag?

I also recently read Mists of Avalon, and now I prefer the TNT movie to the novel!

kristin724
07-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Oh yes! I love Gormenghast and The Tudors was coo las well. JRM is also in The Magnificent Ambersons, another A and E original. I miss when A and E did big epic quality shows. I believe they also did a Tom Jones film I didn't care for. I'm not a Jane Austen fan, either.

I've been very tempted to buy After The Deluge. David Wenham is in it! Love him. And while I love Hornblower and Ioan Gruffudd, I was very disappointed how they resolved the 'Who push Sawyer?' event with Bamber's Kennedy!

Actually, check my buddy Sean Bean's filmography. If ever somebody made a living doing shows based on books!

ETA: Here's the wiki catergory page that might provide some worth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_miniseries

AmsterdamAssassin
06-12-2011, 10:26 PM
I, Claudius. Magnificent acting from Derek Jacobi, John Hurt, Sian Phillips, Brian Blessed...

Beautiful dialogue and intrigue galore.

ElisabethF
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
The adaptations of Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South and Wives and Daughters have already been mentioned, and they're both great. And the 1995 Pride and Prejudice is the best. But here's my family's two top favorites:

Cranford (2007). Also based on the works of Elizabeth Gaskell; three short novels woven together, to be exact. It's just brilliant - the (very large) cast is all excellent; there are simply hilarious parts and other parts that will make you cry. (I'd say avoid the sequel, though; it just didn't measure up.)

Martin Chuzzlewit (1994). I don't know why this one doesn't get mentioned more frequently. The best Dickens adaptation I've seen - it also has a large cast who are practically all perfect in their roles.

Celia Cyanide
06-13-2011, 01:35 AM
The Lost Room.

GCU_Dramatic Exit
06-13-2011, 03:32 AM
BBC and HBO are remaking I, Claudius

i would recommend:

The Corner
Edge of Darkness
State of Play
GBH
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (masterclass acting from Alec Guinness)

Diana Hignutt
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Some older ones I loved:

I, Claudius
All Creatures Great and Small
Danger UXB

Bmwhtly
06-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Any of the Quatermasses.

Oh wait...

Is it Quatermass's?

BBC and HBO are remaking I, Claudius
NOOOOOOOOO!

*Looks at dates*
AH!
Zombie Thread!

Gravity
06-14-2011, 12:32 AM
The Pacific. Done by the same company who did Band of Brothers, but with a different feel. Just as harrowing, though. How any of the real-life principals made it through those jungle hellholes without going stark staring mad is a miracle.

DavidZahir
06-14-2011, 03:33 AM
The Singing Detective -- brilliant and mind-blowing.

Edward Petherbridge starred as Lord Peter Whimsy in Gaudy Night and a few others, really good stuff.