Disco lives forever!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Okay, not really. Still, for those who remember the sound and the era, are there any disco tracks that you actually think are worth listening to on their own? While I prefer true classic rock (seventies album rock), there are a couple of disco tunes that I keep in my playlist:

If I Can't Have You--Yvonne Elliman (written by the Bee Gees, and I can't help but think the rest of the backstory influences my opinion)

Don't Leave Me This Way--Thelma Huston

Night Fever--The Bee Gees

Anyone else? Come on...fess up.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm cringing even as I type:

"Get Down Tonight" - KC & The Sunshine Band

"Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees (I have this soundtrack and my daughter recently found it - she's been playing it to death and - get this - knows all of the lyrics to all of the songs on the disc. It's scary.)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah -- sure there was. Disco has a bad reputation. But it's not fair to judge disco by Patrick Hernandez, any more than it's fair to judge rock 'n' roll by, say, Red Rider.

Shake Your Groove Thing - Peaches & Herb
Brick House -- Commodores
Too Hot ta Trot -- Commodores
Groove Line -- Heatwave
Stuff Like That -- Quincy Jones
Open Sesame -- Kool & the Gang
Can't Get Enough of Your Love -- Barry White
Get Off -- Foxy

*more funk than disco, but*
One Nation Under a Groove -- Funkadelic
Flashlight, We Want the Funk, Bop Gun (et al.) -- Parliament

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stop... in the name of love, Haggis?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, yeah, I know.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Wait - there's another one....

**takes deep breath**

"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry

it's horrible and I know it, but when I was in high school, I went out with this drummer and his band did a kick-ass cover of this lame-ass song....

ah... memories...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah... just pushing too hard to find a witty line. You win...

Oh, and

Love Rollercoaster -- Ohio Players

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
...um...ANYTHING by the BEE GEES...
Somehow the songs are all different and the same all at once-- the lyrics are mysteriously known by all.

You, too, Haggis--

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk..."
I know you sing it when you stop to tie your shoe and check your hair in the windows on the street...

AL PACINO--- AAAALLLLL PACINO

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah -- sure there was. Disco has a bad reputation.
Avoiding that topic for the moment...
*more funk than disco, but*
One Nation Under a Groove -- Funkadelic
Flashlight, We Want the Funk, Bop Gun (et al.) -- Parliament
Mother's Finest was the biggest almost-made-it-really-big funk band ever. They had several, well, odd songs, but the one relevant to this thread has that superstrong backbeat and lyrics that go "Dis go this way, dis go dat way..."

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Far as I'm concerned you can burn every single disco song out there and the world will be a better place. There is no disco worth listening to. And I'm simply horrified that anyone would even seriously consider the BeeGees as anything other than pure crap.

That said, I will admit that "Don't Let me be Misunderstood" by Santa Esmeralda is pretty cool, but mostly because of the spanish guitars and latin rhythms and not because it's disco.

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
Far as I'm concerned you can burn every single disco song out there and the world will be a better place. There is no disco worth listening to. And I'm simply horrified that anyone would even seriously consider the BeeGees as anything other than pure crap.

Uh - that was already tried, albeit on a limited scale: Disco Demolition. Steve Dahl's bright idea nearly caused a small riot at Comiskey Park.

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm cringing even as I type:

"Get Down Tonight" - KC & The Sunshine Band

Speaking of which, in junior high my history teacher would yell at the class to be quiet. When we finally complied, the teacher would say, "Now that's the way I like it" - whereupon the entire class inevitably responded "Uh-huh, uh-huh."

Well, I guess you had to be there....

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
A) You're all over reacting. Disco was simply music made for
dancing and much of it was well written and well performed and did what they were designed for.as many of the songs listed in this thread prove,

B) If I really wanted to stir up a hornets nest, I could say that nothing since 1960 (or at least after the 1st Beatles album) has more than a passing resemblence to what was originally considered Rock & Roll and that Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Pop Rock, Bubble Gum Rock, Country Rock, Folk Rock, Heavy Metal, Disco, Hip Hop and Rap, and any of the other alternatives out there are all abberations that don't deserve the lable of "Rock" or any respect. (I won't do that, because, apart from a certain truth about that from a purist point of view, They ALL have their value and their place, (and their high points), and nothing is gained by anyone by either dissing or overpraising any of them. Recognize them all for what they did in their own context and all that that has added to the legacy that is "Rock".

Think About It.

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amen, James.

I've probably worn out this anecdote, but....

Sometime around 'Rock Around the Clock', a reporter asked Duke Ellington what he thought of the new and scandalous rock 'n' roll music that was perverting young minds.

His response, noble as Duke was: "There's only two kinds of music: good music, and the other kind."

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Has anyone ever heard of a song called "Disco Dracula"? My husband said it was a huge hit here. I remember "Disco Duck" but not Dracula. Also a song called "Rasputin"...goes like, "Ra Ra Rasputin, something something something Queen". Another disco hit here (Japan) that I hadn't heard of before.

I remember when Kiss went disco.