PDA

View Full Version : Disco lives forever!

robeiae
05-24-2007, 04:51 AM
Okay, not really. Still, for those who remember the sound and the era, are there any disco tracks that you actually think are worth listening to on their own? While I prefer true classic rock (seventies album rock), there are a couple of disco tunes that I keep in my playlist:

If I Can't Have You--Yvonne Elliman (written by the Bee Gees, and I can't help but think the rest of the backstory influences my opinion)

Don't Leave Me This Way--Thelma Huston

Night Fever--The Bee Gees

Anyone else? Come on...fess up.

Haggis
05-24-2007, 04:52 AM
No.

robeiae
05-24-2007, 04:55 AM
No.
Pffft. I know and you know that every time you shower, you're listening to I'm Your Boogie Man and singing along. Admit it...it will be cathartic.

DeborahM
05-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Give me that old time rock and roll!

Jersey Chick
05-24-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm cringing even as I type:

"Get Down Tonight" - KC & The Sunshine Band

"Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees (I have this soundtrack and my daughter recently found it - she's been playing it to death and - get this - knows all of the lyrics to all of the songs on the disc. It's scary.)

robeiae
05-24-2007, 05:03 AM
But you feel better now, don't you? It's like lifting a huge weight off your back...

poetinahat
05-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Yeah -- sure there was. Disco has a bad reputation. But it's not fair to judge disco by Patrick Hernandez, any more than it's fair to judge rock 'n' roll by, say, Red Rider.

Shake Your Groove Thing - Peaches & Herb
Brick House -- Commodores
Too Hot ta Trot -- Commodores
Groove Line -- Heatwave
Stuff Like That -- Quincy Jones
Open Sesame -- Kool & the Gang
Can't Get Enough of Your Love -- Barry White
Get Off -- Foxy

*more funk than disco, but*
One Nation Under a Groove -- Funkadelic
Flashlight, We Want the Funk, Bop Gun (et al.) -- Parliament

Haggis
05-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Stop! Stop!

*makes sign of the cross with two index fingers*

poetinahat
05-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Stop... in the name of love, Haggis?

Haggis
05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Motown.

poetinahat
05-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Um, yeah, I know.

Jersey Chick
05-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Wait - there's another one....

**takes deep breath**

"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry

it's horrible and I know it, but when I was in high school, I went out with this drummer and his band did a kick-ass cover of this lame-ass song....

ah... memories...

Haggis
05-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Um, yeah, I know.

Thank Dog. I thought for a minute there that ozone thingy was getting to you.

poetinahat
05-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Nah... just pushing too hard to find a witty line. You win...

Oh, and

Love Rollercoaster -- Ohio Players

MonaLeigh
05-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Hot Child in the City!:snoopy:

PrettySpecialGal
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
...um...ANYTHING by the BEE GEES...
Somehow the songs are all different and the same all at once-- the lyrics are mysteriously known by all.

You, too, Haggis--

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk..."
I know you sing it when you stop to tie your shoe and check your hair in the windows on the street...

AL PACINO--- AAAALLLLL PACINO

benbradley
05-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah -- sure there was. Disco has a bad reputation.
Avoiding that topic for the moment...

*more funk than disco, but*
One Nation Under a Groove -- Funkadelic
Flashlight, We Want the Funk, Bop Gun (et al.) -- Parliament
Mother's Finest was the biggest almost-made-it-really-big funk band ever. They had several, well, odd songs, but the one relevant to this thread has that superstrong backbeat and lyrics that go "Dis go this way, dis go dat way..."

askeladd
05-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey - now why hasn't anyone mentioned "A Fifth of Beethoven"? :D

Shadow_Ferret
05-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Far as I'm concerned you can burn every single disco song out there and the world will be a better place. There is no disco worth listening to. And I'm simply horrified that anyone would even seriously consider the BeeGees as anything other than pure crap.

That said, I will admit that "Don't Let me be Misunderstood" by Santa Esmeralda is pretty cool, but mostly because of the spanish guitars and latin rhythms and not because it's disco.

benbradley
05-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey - now why hasn't anyone mentioned "A Fifth of Beethoven"? :D
Perhaps no one wants negative rep points???

askeladd
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Far as I'm concerned you can burn every single disco song out there and the world will be a better place. There is no disco worth listening to. And I'm simply horrified that anyone would even seriously consider the BeeGees as anything other than pure crap.

Uh - that was already tried, albeit on a limited scale: Disco Demolition (http://www.discodemolition.com/). Steve Dahl's bright idea nearly caused a small riot at Comiskey Park.

askeladd
05-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm cringing even as I type:

"Get Down Tonight" - KC & The Sunshine Band

Speaking of which, in junior high my history teacher would yell at the class to be quiet. When we finally complied, the teacher would say, "Now that's the way I like it" - whereupon the entire class inevitably responded "Uh-huh, uh-huh."

Well, I guess you had to be there....

JRH
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
A) You're all over reacting. Disco was simply music made for
dancing and much of it was well written and well performed and did what they were designed for.as many of the songs listed in this thread prove,

B) If I really wanted to stir up a hornets nest, I could say that nothing since 1960 (or at least after the 1st Beatles album) has more than a passing resemblence to what was originally considered Rock & Roll and that Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Pop Rock, Bubble Gum Rock, Country Rock, Folk Rock, Heavy Metal, Disco, Hip Hop and Rap, and any of the other alternatives out there are all abberations that don't deserve the lable of "Rock" or any respect. (I won't do that, because, apart from a certain truth about that from a purist point of view, They ALL have their value and their place, (and their high points), and nothing is gained by anyone by either dissing or overpraising any of them. Recognize them all for what they did in their own context and all that that has added to the legacy that is "Rock".

Think About It.

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

poetinahat
05-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Amen, James.

I've probably worn out this anecdote, but....

Sometime around 'Rock Around the Clock', a reporter asked Duke Ellington what he thought of the new and scandalous rock 'n' roll music that was perverting young minds.

His response, noble as Duke was: "There's only two kinds of music: good music, and the other kind."

madderblue
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a song called "Disco Dracula"? My husband said it was a huge hit here. I remember "Disco Duck" but not Dracula. Also a song called "Rasputin"...goes like, "Ra Ra Rasputin, something something something Queen". Another disco hit here (Japan) that I hadn't heard of before.

I remember when Kiss went disco.

askeladd
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a song called "Disco Dracula"? My husband said it was a huge hit here. I remember "Disco Duck" but not Dracula. Also a song called "Rasputin"...goes like, "Ra Ra Rasputin, something something something Queen". Another disco hit here (Japan) that I hadn't heard of before.

Rasputin (http://www.70disco.com/boneym.htm) for you.

I remember "Disco Duck" too, but never heard of "Disco Dracula." There was a "Monster Mash," though.

Mud Dauber
05-24-2007, 11:35 PM
dancing and much of it was well written and well performed and did what they were designed for.as many of the songs listed in this thread prove,

B) If I really wanted to stir up a hornets nest, I could say that nothing since 1960 (or at least after the 1st Beatles album) has more than a passing resemblence to what was originally considered Rock & Roll and that Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Pop Rock, Bubble Gum Rock, Country Rock, Folk Rock, Heavy Metal, Disco, Hip Hop and Rap, and any of the other alternatives out there are all abberations that don't deserve the lable of "Rock" or any respect. (I won't do that, because, apart from a certain truth about that from a purist point of view, They ALL have their value and their place, (and their high points), and nothing is gained by anyone by either dissing or overpraising any of them. Recognize them all for what they did in their own context and all that that has added to the legacy that is "Rock".

Think About It.

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

My hero!:e2flowers Thank you for putting into words my exact sentiments, Jim. Music is too personal of an art to debate what's 'good' and what's 'bad'. Most consider what doesn't fit inside their preference box lousy, or a waste of time, and there's no changing anyone's mind if it's not open.

Writer2011
05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Okay, not really. Still, for those who remember the sound and the era, are there any disco tracks that you actually think are worth listening to on their own? While I prefer true classic rock (seventies album rock), there are a couple of disco tunes that I keep in my playlist:

If I Can't Have You--Yvonne Elliman (written by the Bee Gees, and I can't help but think the rest of the backstory influences my opinion)

Don't Leave Me This Way--Thelma Huston

Night Fever--The Bee Gees

Anyone else? Come on...fess up.
Some of my all time favorites...

Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston is a classic too :)

madderblue
05-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks Askeladd! And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKSK0bz9anM

Oh my gosh, this song may be catchy. "Ra ra Rasputin Russia's greatest love machine"

A famous Japanese comedian is remaking the song. I can't find it on youtube yet though.

Shadow_Ferret
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Think About It.

Jim Hoye, (JRH)
You could say that, but of course you'd be obviously wrong. All those variations on rock'n'roll were natural extentions, or evolutions of rock. Well, except for country rock, which was like the bastard child.

But disco was and will always remain an aberation and a blight upon the music landscape.

By the way, I'm taking note of everyone who is claiming to like disco and will then discount everything you have to say musically from now on. :p

Hot Child in the City!
That was Nick Guilder. Awful, yes, disco, no.

Jersey Chick
05-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Ah... liking some disco songs is kind of liking cheesy movies - they are so bad that they're good. And everyone's got some musical skeletons in their closet.

Even the Rolling Stones have a little disco sound in some of their70s songs - i.e. "Heartbreaker"... so if the Stones can do it, it can't be that bad...

Jabs
05-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I remember when Kiss went disco.

And a little piece of everyone died.

madderblue
05-26-2007, 02:49 AM
I thought Kiss was the scariest band in the world at the time. And then "I was made for loving you" came out. Huh?

I think the big problem with Disco was the drum beat. Wasn't it always the same no matter the song? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm going from memory here.

Writer2011
05-26-2007, 06:50 AM
When 1980 hit...disco died immediately--at least IMHO...

Shadow_Ferret
05-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Even the Rolling Stones have a little disco sound in some of their70s songs - i.e. "Heartbreaker"... so if the Stones can do it, it can't be that bad...Was that their disco song? I thought it was "Emotional Rescue."

And let's not forget David Bowie and "Fame."

Writer2011
05-26-2007, 09:03 AM
KISS tried a disco-esque song...I Was Made For Loving You--an ill-fated attempt no less.

Emotional Rescue--a disco-esque hit too..

Shadow_Ferret
05-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I think the big problem with Disco was the drum beat. Wasn't it always the same no matter the song? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm going from memory here.
Out of disco, came the drum machine, and a lot of great drummers were put on the soup lines.

That is my main problem with disco, the constant, incessant beat. For the most part, disco was unoriginal, hackneyed, and formulaic, which is why it only lasted about 5 years.

madderblue
05-27-2007, 02:19 AM
I agree with Ferret here. As much as I liked a lot of the melodies the Bee Gees sung, not having a real live drummer is akin to being a cyborg or a cylon or something. You can dress it up with layers of strings and brass but in the end something vital is missing. A soul.

Note: I've just begun watching the BSG series (it still hasn't come out here yet). At this rate the cylons might have souls and that analogy would be bunk. It's a shakey analogy to begin with...

Nolita
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
An entire disco thread without ABBA?

S.O.S.
Mama Mia
Waterloo(not sure how disco Waterloo is but it sure makes my booty wiggle).

Xelebes
04-02-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm not too big on 70's disco but 80's disco and italo-disco is quite fun.

BenPanced
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Blondie's Heart of Glass didn't kill their career. Hell, it launched them into mainstream US success. In fact, the first demo they recorded is only known as "The Disco Song", and the follow-up is Once I Had A Love; both have slightly different lyrics than what made it as the final cut on Parallel Lines ("Once I had a love, and it was a gas/Soon turned out had a heart of glass" was originally "to be a thing of the past". Producer Mike Chapman suggested they change the line to something else with a better emotional impact.) (I have both versions on two different demo/B-side compilations.) (Have I mentioned Blondie is my favoritest band liek evarz?)

CheekyWench
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
My favorite Disco songs: Most of them, I realize now, are Donna Summer
Love Hangover Donna Summer
Bad Girls Donna Summer
Last Dance Donna Summer
I will Survive Gloria Gaynor
You sexy Thing Hot Chocolate
Turn the Beat Around Vickie Sue Robinson
Don't Stop Til You Get enough Michael Jackson (disco MJ is the only MJ I'll listen to)
Le Freak Chic

KTC
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
disco was the best part of the 20th century.

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Give me that old time rock and roll!

Amen!

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:07 AM
That said, I will admit that "Don't Let me be Misunderstood" by Santa Esmeralda is pretty cool, but mostly because of the spanish guitars and latin rhythms and not because it's disco.

Is that a cover of the Animals' song of the same name from the early 60s?

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:16 AM
B) If I really wanted to stir up a hornets nest, I could say that nothing since 1960 (or at least after the 1st Beatles album) has more than a passing resemblence to what was originally considered Rock & Roll

I'd put it earlier, when Buddy Holly used violins on a record for the first time (was that on True Loves Ways? I forget) in - what? 1958 or so? What followed was an evolution that synthesized a wholly new thing from musical traditions added and blended in from all over. Disco was a contraction of that evolution into a single limited form, the same way rap has been more recently.

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:19 AM
You could say that, but of course you'd be obviously wrong. All those variations on rock'n'roll were natural extentions, or evolutions of rock. Well, except for country rock, which was like the bastard child.

I was right with you up until then. I abhor Charlie Daniels' politics, but Fire on the Mountain is one of the great albums of all time.

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Even the Rolling Stones have a little disco sound in some of their70s songs - i.e. "Heartbreaker"... so if the Stones can do it, it can't be that bad...

I find anything they've done post Exile on Main Street impossible to tolerate.

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 03:21 AM
disco was the best part of the 20th century.

I rend my garment, for you are now dead to me. ;)

Synonym
04-03-2010, 03:56 AM
"The Love I Lost" Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
"Funkytown" Lipps Inc. (cuz it's fun)
"We are Family" Sister Sledge
"Rock Your Baby" George McCrae
"You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" Lou Rawls
"I Love the Nightlife" Alicia Bridges
"Fire" Ohio Players

Well, that was quite a walk down memory lane. :D

Synonym
04-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Yes, "Fame" by Bowie. It might be the only song of his I really liked. Makes me want to dance. ;)

bigb
04-03-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm way late to the barbeque, but although I have no love for disco, it did bring funk a little more into the light. And funks always good.

SirOtter
04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm way late to the barbeque, but although I have no love for disco, it did bring funk a little more into the light. And funks always good.

Agreed. Wrapped around every silver lining, there is a cloud.

KTC
04-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I rend my garment, for you are now dead to me. ;)

But I have spoken.

(-;

I'm an oddity (i'm sure everybody knows that by now). I love rock, metal, punk, new wave, disco, funk, etc, etc, etc. The only things I don't love are rap and country. I'd die before listening to them. There was a week in the eighties where I saw the following three bands in the same week:

The Kinks, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Alice Cooper.

Xelebes
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Some modern disco: Ratatat - Wild Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKniXABsUeE)

BenPanced
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
My favorite Disco songs: Most of them, I realize now, are Donna Summer
Love Hangover Donna Summer
Bad Girls Donna Summer
Last Dance Donna Summer
I will Survive Gloria Gaynor
You sexy Thing Hot Chocolate
Turn the Beat Around Vickie Sue Robinson
Don't Stop Til You Get enough Michael Jackson (disco MJ is the only MJ I'll listen to)
Le Freak Chic
Love Hangover is Diana Ross.