Writing Mentors - Deceased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms.Write

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.u-unlimited.ca
I don't remember where I got this idea from, but it works! I chose a mentor who died some time ago, Helen Van Slyke, an author of contemporary women's fiction I admired. She's been giving me great advice on my current novel, as well as encouragement and comfort!

The process:
- choose an author or other mentor who has passed on
- find some quotes by him or her that speak to you
- find his or her photo

Then put a page together with the heading "my writing mentor," including the quotes and his/her picture. You look at this as you journal out your questions, feeling the spirit of the person before you let your pen respond.

I am at the halfway point of my first draft and felt the story needed a little shoring. She helped me come up with a great subplot that fits perfectly with the main story line and theme.

If you don't find this too weird, I highly recommend it!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Sorta weird, but then what do we do that isn't?

I like the idea - Robert Anson Heinlein would be mine. And maybe Wilkie Collins...can I have two?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Sorta weird, but then what do we do that isn't?

I like the idea - Robert Anson Heinlein would be mine. And maybe Wilkie Collins...can I have two?

Since we're on weird, I wrote a fan letter to Robert Heinlein, and learned that he died that same week. Twenty years later, I wrote the second of my two total such letters, this time to author Charles Sheffield. He graciously answered my questions in detail, a generous mentor. I wrote to thank him, and learned that he had died shortly afterwards.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meerkat killed Robert Heinlein and Charles Sheffield ?!? :eek:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're on weird, I wrote a fan letter to Robert Heinlein, and learned that he died that same week. Twenty years later, I wrote the second of my two total such letters, this time to author Charles Sheffield. He graciously answered my questions in detail, a generous mentor. I wrote to thank him, and learned that he had died shortly afterwards.

Don't be writing any letters to Stephen Donaldson until he finishes the Thomas Covenant series, 'kay? :tongue

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net

Meerkat, that's just plain creepy!
I wrote to Michael Crichton once...hope that letter got lost or destroyed or something.

Ms.Write

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.u-unlimited.ca
Sure, you can put TWO writing mentors on the same page.

I actually have a second one (Jack London) for short stories. He said, "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." And, "The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." And I got some great photos off the Net!

Status
Not open for further replies.