• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Susan Ann Protter

frequently alert

Does anyone have any experience with Susan Ann Protter? I know she's been doing this for some time, and I've read her listings at agentquery.com and P&E. But while she expresses interest in mysteries, her listings and her references on amazon and google books seem to focus almost 100% on SF/F. Any firsthand experiences?

Quiller

Registered
Reaction score
Suzy

If this is the Susan Protter, supreme literary agent, I knew socially several years ago, I don't recall she sold but very minor amounts of ms, stating she was in it "for the big score". I do recall she mentioned she charged clients for a lot of office supplies. May not be the same Suzy, so due dilligence may be just extra effort.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
A Geocities site for a business? In 2008?

That tells me all I need to know right there.

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
A acquaintance of mine, William H. Drinkard is repped by her. He released a SF epic from Tor in March 2008 called ELOM. Though I don't know her or have any experience with her, I believe that should tell you that she's still active and successful as an agent.

Edit: Further, he got a publisher before the agent, so I would imagine the publisher pointed him in her direction, which I think says a lot for her.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried querying her recently? Her site doesn't say she's taking genre, but in the link to the current interests, it says she is...so slightly confused here.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Presently, she is looking for a limited number of new clients:
Literary Fiction and Non-Fiction by published authors.
Prescriptive Non-Fiction by known experts in their field with a platform.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any contact with her lately? Her website's kaput, she's not listed in PM that I can find... Hard to know if she's even still active, much less actively looking.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding any mentions of her after 2008, so I'd say she's not active.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Locus magazine of July 2009 records a resale of rights to Prime Books of Rudy Rucker's Ware tetralogy by Susan Ann Protter

Droneon

Too clever by a third
Registered
Reaction score
She's 70 years old. She's got a section in the book Red Diapers, about kids who grew up with communist parents. Sounds like she had an interesting youth.

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
"She only shares certain information with everyone." Her picture, location (New York), and 131 Facebook friends are the only things made public.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Edit: Further, he got a publisher before the agent, so I would imagine the publisher pointed him in her direction, which I think says a lot for her.

Don't make that assumption. My friends in Tor Editorial break out in hives at the thought of recommending any particular agent to a writer. It's a major conflict of interest for them to steer a writer to the agent who will then be representing the writer. While they may suggest that you get an agent at the time they offer on the book, which agent you get will be up to you.

T. Nielsen Hayden

Knows her stuff
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Darn straight. (Hi, Jim.)

For editorial to steer an author to a specific agent would be a conflict of interest in their relationship with that author, and in their relationship with that agent. We can acknowledge that a particular agent is someone with whom we do a lot of business, but that information is public anyway.

As explained to me by Beth Meacham, Melissa Singer, and Claire Eddy, it would also be a conflict of interest to tell the author they have to have an agent, or to tell them they don't need to have an agent. We can tell them that while many authors find it useful and advantageous to have agents, others (some of whom have had notably successful careers) do not.

If they ask, we generally tell them to talk to other authors about it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Per her LinkedIn page, she registered the domain susanannprotter.com, but it redirects to the Geocities site, which is gone. Anyone hear from her recently?

ETA: per comments at QT, she in fact retired in '11.

Last edited: