American Idol - Final 2

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Whole lot of celebrities turned out. People like Denise Richards, Rick Schroeder...and Marlee Matlin? Um, guess that proves this isn't a singing contest.

Now, as to the contestants.

Blake:
Bon Jovi - A
Maroon 5 - B
Idol Song - C

Blake hits with a Jovi song he did well a few weeks ago, picks the right genre for a new song but this should have been the highlight for him to focus on, and falls will the Idol song winner but it wasn't good for him. He's good in his zone, but limited range.

Jordin:
Xtina - B+
Martina - A+
Idol Song - A

Even the energetic song wasn't a pick up to the audience, just girl anger. Jordin tearing up at the end of the song "This is my now" clinches it for her.

Side observation, why is it the the more strong and commanding women's voices go further, when the sensitive, quiet, possibly effeminate male voices remain? Is this further proof of emasculation of the modern man?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I kind of agree with the emasculation in the pop market. It seems like they favor the soft, boy-man voices, and age has nothing to do with it. While boy bands are dead, their influence continues. I really like James Blunt's songs but he sounds like a screechy little mouse. Meanwhile, superstars like Tina Turner and Whitney Houston have paved the way for strong, explosive female voices. So where are the strong male voices? Josh Groban comes to mind but he's more inspirational/easy listening than pop.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a mystery to me too. The top male voices all seem to be from the Seal/James Blunt type mold of soft and effeminate. I agree that Jordin totally nailed her performances. She's just right for the Idol machine and I think she'll be the next Idol to break out. The male Idols (and Fantasia) haven't been able to do that so far.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually Maestro I disagree (which is weird because I too am sick of the falsetto singing pop men). But in American Idol Bo Bice was a real rocker guy and got second I believe. And Taylor, well he may have been odd, but he sang the blues, like really how it should sound. Not saying that Blake isn't that more girly guy and the reason Sanjaya did so well was because the 12 yearolds weren't threatened by him (he was basically a girl after all). Still, I mean, I actually really like Bo Bice as a musician, and last night Chris Daughtry (sp?) performed and he was a finalist and also has a more masculine sound.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's my last chance to tell you in detail what I thought about the night's performances. I know you've been hanging on every word of my opinion & will miss it sorely when it's gone :roll: Anyway, this is the first time I've enjoyed an AI season this much since the first one, so I'm kinda sad it's over..., but looking forward to Melinda, Blake, & Jordin joining AI's domination of the radiowaves.

Blake 1: I think he actually did this better the first time, but maybe that's 'cuz it was fresh (certainly, I hadn't downloaded and memorized it). I agree with Simon about part of it. He certainly was shouting a bit more than singing, but was concentrating on getting the crowd into it (which obviously he succeeded at).

Jordin 1: Not my fave performance from her, but I disagreed with Simon (gasp) about where the problem was. I didn't like the beginning very much, but thought she didn't do too badly later. I think I feel the same each time she's done a pop song, where it was good, but not really anything spectacular.

Round 1 surprisingly goes to Blake.

Blake 2: Maroon 5 again! (Hint, hint, new album is out today (the 22nd)! I have to wait 'til it's delivered though, 'cuz my b-day was last week and since it was #1 on my Amazon.com list, my parents sent me a note saying it'd be shipped around the 26th), although, this isn't my favorite Maroon 5 song. "Sunday Morning"'s a much better ballad by them, and just as I was deciding that I wasn't too impressed with SWBL, it started being played on the radio 24/7. I liked the way Blake started off on this song, but he seemed to have some problems with the "will" of the chorus (an important note not to mess up).

Jordin 2: I still don't know this song, but it was a good vocal.

Round 2 to Jordin. Not surprising here.

Wonder if Jordin and Blake planned to do the upbeat songs first, & the ballads 2nd.

Blake 3: Poor Blake. He's trying to add something to this song with an attempt to dance and motion to the crowd, but there's not much you can do get the crowd into it. It's not the worst song I've heard for the AI finale..., pretty typical for the end, thematically sound. Blake was okay, but if Jordin has the same song or a similar one, she'll blow him out of the water (I predict). Hey, at least Simon acknowledged the fact that it's not a Blake-type song, that it had to be frustrating for him (you could tell too); he seems fairly forgiving today, i.e. reminding the audience of that and suggesting they judge him on the first two songs.

Jordin 3: As predicted, she was better at this horrible song than Blake.

Last year they gave Katherine and Taylor two different songs, which I think was really unfair. Had Katherine had Taylor's song, she might have won. So it seems crazy that this year they took two singers with incredibly different styles and gave them the same song. Watching that last song for each singer reminds me a lot of watching the first season (there were two songs made for the finale, and they got to sing a song of their choice in between the songs). I think Justin sang "Before Your Love" (an awful song, musically) first, and my sister and I were like "What the heck was that?!" Then Kelly sang it and we knew she had won. She had taken this horrible song and added enough texture to it to make it not sound that bad. Jordin deserves to win AI for being about to take this new song and make it sound not-so-bad.

Wow, Simon gives the individual performance to Blake. I'm impressed. I would have thought he'd choose Jordin's 2nd performance. Simon must really like Blake, which I find surprising based on Simon's reactions in the past.

Woohoo, Daughtry! AI loves me (until their next guest performer, Taylor (sorry, I dislike him)).

P.S. I can listen to Taylor if I don't have to watch him.

Last edited:

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
They're running over on time! I hope Blake wins.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
When did the Beatles release their catalog to AI?

I need to go sit in a dark room with the White Album and scrub my brain. I'll be back next week.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Some good performances tonight. Some good funny moments too. I think the highlight for me was Blake & Jordin's song at the beginning though. They were having so much fun. I won't pretend to be overwhelmingly overjoyed OR disappointed by the result. You know I like them both for different reasons, so either is fine with me.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Jackson released The Beatles catalog...

If anyone gets the chance to see the Circe de Soleil performance of "Love", go see it! 'Specially if you were raised on The Beatles like I was. I saw it at The Mirage in Vegas, and all I can say is WOW!

And WOW tonight.

Heck of a show.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Michael Jackson released The Beatles catalog...

If anyone gets the chance to see the Circe de Soleil performance of "Love", go see it! 'Specially if you were raised on The Beatles like I was. I saw it at The Mirage in Vegas, and all I can say is WOW!

And WOW tonight.

Heck of a show.

Ah.

I was thinking about seeing Love this fall in Vegas, I'm so glad to hear you liked it!

BoyBlog

Registered
Reaction score
So, what did everyone think about the "end".

I'm happy with the result.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Doug E Fresh!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not the most surprising of outcomes, especially once Blake got a chance to sing (without other Idols) earlier in the show. I haven't watched many of the finales, but the ones I watched have the runner up sing earlier, & in the end the winner sings the AI song. I thought it was nice how they focused on some of the other stars of the season. Melinda, of course. And, yes, Sanjaya is a star of this season, even if it was for weird reasons.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was nice how they focused on some of the other stars of the season.
It was nice seeing Chris Sligh. Still really enjoy his voice.