PDA

View Full Version : Delicate subject [aplogies]: cot death

Stressed
05-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Is there anyone on the forums who has experienced this tragedy and would be willing to share their thoughts and feelings at all? This is for a national parenting website and we are happy to use anonymous quotes. Many thanks – and apologies if anyone here has gone through this and is upset by the subject matter…

tjwriter
05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I haven't experienced it, but I know that it's been a constant fear pounded into by head since the day I discovered I was expecting. I checked my daughter constantly from the day she arrived, even waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep until I got up and went to her room or could hear breathing through the moniter. Even now that she is 16 months, I still check on her often.

My sympathies to anyone who has ever lost a child. I can't even begin to imagine.

theengel
05-23-2007, 01:14 AM
******* GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION BELOW **********

I haven't experienced it either, thank God. And if my wife slept at all during the first 6 months of our kids' lives, I never saw it.

My neighbor had it happen. I wasn't there, but I talked to the cop who had shown up. She was in shock...she walked back and forth carrying the baby. The cop told me that he would never forget the way the 'body' flopped as they were taking it from her. That total 'lifelessness' hit him and haunted him for the next few months.

Tsu Dho Nimh
05-24-2007, 06:49 AM
No personal experience (thank whatever god you believe in) but I was talking to a paramedic friend - who had small children - and he was trying to talk about a recent emergency call for crib death ... and he just stopped talking.

This was a man who could chat about auto wrecks and murder scenes over lunch as he ate spaghetti, and he couldn't even talk about it.

benbradley
05-24-2007, 07:31 AM
If it helps at all in your research, and if you didn't already know, the informal name in the USA is crib death as Tsu mentioned (I hadn't heard the phrase cot death before this thread), and the formal name used by doctors and such is SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

ALLWritety
05-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi
Do you still need info I have a friends who this happen to a few years ago. I could contact them to see if they are willing to talk about it. PM if you want me to do this.
Kev.