• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need help with a little research - anyone from a small town in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpingJack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even sure that my new idea is going to work but it's too good for me to let go without at least giving it a try.

The first problem is the idea just wouldn't work in england, where I am from, there just isn't enough space for a place to be isolated enough, and scotland just doesn't have the "feel" that I want. So I figured that the US might be a good place.

Second problem is I've never even stepped foot there, and won't be (too expensive and no time) any time soon, so I figure I've got to learn enough about small town life in the US "remotely" to make the story convincing.

My main worries are the cliches and stereotypes, I know that this happens the other way around (take davinci code for british stereotypes), but the odd thing is a lot of cliches and stereotypes turn out not too far off the mark anyway, well sort of. I just want to avoid those that will ruin what I think is a good story idea.

So anyone willing to exchange PM's and let me pick their brains about small town life in the US?

A lot of the questions will be "is this really true?" or "do people really do that?" or "what do you call this over there?" kind of things.

I promise not to bombard with a million of them.

Oh and I apologise if I haven't mentioned the idea, I'm just not comfortable with throwing it out there for everyone to see. Of course you all have your own ideas anyway.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll send you a PM with my e-mail addresses.

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about "small towns in US" in a current setting, or (say) 30 - 40 years ago? That could make a difference, too. I grew up in a small town, fwiw.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
I'd also be more than happy to help. Do you have a specific area of the states in mind? That'll make a big difference. A stereotype that's accurate in rural Alabama may have no basis in fact, in say. . .rural Wisconsin. I've lived in quite a few areas, but I can tell you that I'm relatively unfamiliar with the Northeast. Just PM if you'd like. :)

JumpingJack

Registered
Reaction score
@askelad

The story as i view it at the moment is modern day, or at least in the last few years rather than 30-40.

Saying that, the characters that i create will need fleshing out and giving a background when it's relevant to the story, ("It never used to be like that") so some idea of the differences would be nice. If you don't mind i might like to post you a couple of questions at some point, but right now i need to grasp the basic differences so I can attempt to write the characters in a convincing way.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
@askelad

The story as i view it at the moment is modern day, or at least in the last few years rather than 30-40.

Saying that, the characters that i create will need fleshing out and giving a background when it's relevant to the story, ("It never used to be like that") so some idea of the differences would be nice. If you don't mind i might like to post you a couple of questions at some point, but right now i need to grasp the basic differences so I can attempt to write the characters in a convincing way.

Whatever works best for you. :) Feel free to ask general questions or region specific questions. Also, there are a lot of sites out there that "translate" common British terms to American Terms. Here's one for you--

http://www.dumka.us/BritEng.html

JumpingJack

Registered
Reaction score
@aliajohnson

I was looking at the less populated areas, basically where a small town could quite easily be out of the way. So more middle and south?. colorado/kansas/northern texas?

Must admit i was just looking at basic differences between social culture between the US and the UK at the moment, to try and eliminate things the more obvious bad impressions.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in small towns in North Dakota, Washington and Texas, so fire away.

JumpingJack

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the offers of help folks, I've probably got more people willing to answer questions than I have questions now! (I should have known you folks would be this helpful and been a bit more prepared for it!)

It's late here now, (1:30am) so i'll send pms and emails tommorrow.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also need to define small. To someone from, say, New York, everywhere else is probably tiny.

BTW--I live in a town in southeastern Ohio; we have two stoplights. And we can hear cattle mooing while traveling on the main street. Is that small enough for you?

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
@aliajohnson

I was looking at the less populated areas, basically where a small town could quite easily be out of the way. So more middle and south?. colorado/kansas/northern texas?

You've got almost all of the country to play with, really. I can't answer for the Northeast, as my visits there have only been to larger cities, but you can definitely hide a little town away in the North, Northwest, Midwest, South, Southwest, Southeast. . .you get the idea, pretty much anywhere.

:D Just for fun--Even though they are all right by each other--Kansas is considered midwest, Colorado is considered West, and Northern Texas is generally considered Southwest. I'm in Arkansas, not that far from Northern Texas, and I'm in the South. Weird, eh? You could tuck a little town away in any of these places.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
BTW--I live in a town in southeastern Ohio; we have two stoplights. And we can hear cattle mooing while traveling on the main street. Is that small enough for you?

Got you beat. My town has no stoplights. And more than once we've had loose cattle in the front yard. :D

JumpingJack

Registered
Reaction score
I imagined a town small enough that everybody knows everybody, a main street with a few shops and one convenience store, gas station on the edge of town, a bar/clubhouse, flatlands/farms for miles arround, an interstate that pases a few miles away but not close enough for a national express coach (don't know what you call your buses) to go through town more than once a week. Where there really is only one of each type of business.

If you are saying that they are everywhere, then that makes my choice much easier!

shaunta

Registered
Reaction score
I live in a small and very rural town in Northern Nevada. It's a mining town, and like all of Nevada, surrounded by miles and miles of government owned desert. It's very isolated (250 miles from anywhere in all directions.) I'm happy to help.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I'm from a small town and lived in a few other ones in the rural south. PM me any questions if you want my input!

Your description of the town you want matches the one my mom lives in right now and has for the past 15 years. You can look up Ruffin NC on google maps to see how it matches if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.