PDA

View Full Version : On The Lot

ChunkyC
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Tonight is the night for the premiere episode of Fox TV's latest reality show, On The Lot (http://www.thelot.com/), where 50 hopefuls vie for a development deal with Dreamworks.

This is one reality show I'm actually looking forward to in hopes it entertains us while giving us an inside look at how movies are made.

Anybody else planning to watch?

Stew21
05-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Definitely. It looks so interesting. (and I am hopeful it is more successful than Project Greenlight).

small axe
05-23-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm already lining all the dolls up in front of the tv to watch! I'm thrilled by the potential! But ... I was thrilled by PGL too ... and "On The Lot" sure sucks as a series title ...

Fingers crossed! Hope it has the Spielberg magic/success!

"Next year in Hollywood!"

Toothpaste
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
You know it was weird. Normally I like watching the auditions where people humiliate themselves (American Idol etc) but I think it is because these days most EVERYONE wants to be "famous" and not a "singer" or "dancer" and so don't really realise they have no talent and I like to see them knocked down a peg.

But last night's episode of this show and the pitches I found really hard to watch because these people already made it a certain way, and it was their dream and it just seemed so sad when they froze, or overdid it or just plain sucked.

Looking forward to when they start making movies though!

Rainy Night
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
IMHO - I think a lot of the people that made it this far are skilled directors... they know where to put a camera and put shots together, but when it comes to telling a story they find it difficult. I think for the pitch sessions you really needed to be a good writer, finding a story in the logline and presenting it with confidence.

AdamH
05-24-2007, 12:26 AM
True...but the skill of directing is to artfully tell a story on film. If you can't get it out in words, how can a director expect to direct his crew to make them understand where to go next. I mean, they don't have to be actors, or writers. But they still have to express a story properly unless they intend on doing all the work.

But it was a fun show to watch. I think it would be better as soon as I see some of their work. Then I could relate more.

Rainy Night
05-24-2007, 01:06 AM
I agree, but the director is working from a script. His job is to present the story in a visual way. Unless you are a Tarantino or M. Night usually the director's involvement with the script or story is only to help present the story visually. The challenge last night was to create a story from the logline given and pitch it. I may be wrong, but usually it's the writer pitching the script.

Meerkat
05-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought the first episode was brilliant--great idea, executed in a fair manner. What an interesting parallel the "pitch" has to our query letters of various degrees of success. And the dilemma of two film crews too close in proximity in the railyard is priceless. The good directors would find a way to make it work out for BOTH parties--screening, atlernating...some form of cooperation that they had better have for the rest of their career. Otherwise the world will not be big enough for them...or their egos. If they end up throwing mud clods at each other, both should be kicked off next week. I love this show!

ChunkyC
05-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Didn't get a chance to pop in here yesterday....

I liked it too. I really felt for those poor kids who choked. That first guy, with the jacket and tie, dear gawd that was hard to watch. And yeah, Meerkat, the parallel to querying was intense, wasn't it? I found myself wondering if I would be able to pitch my novel without making a fool of myself if I ever found myself in an elevator next to Teresa Nielsen Hayden or someone like that.

I think having them do the pitch was a good way to cull the herd. After all, even with a script written by someone else, the Director needs to be able to tell the story. He or she is the one in charge, the one who puts it all together to make sure a coherent story is what ends up on screen. So this lets them find the ones who can tell a story themselves, which I think would bode well for their ability to interpret and film someone else's story.

Tonight's show should be really cool, I can't wait to see these short films.

PS -- my wife and I were falling all over ourselves laughing when that guy started smacking the stage with his belt. Holy cow!

small axe
05-25-2007, 02:53 AM
I wanna see the movies they shoot too. I didn't think any of the pitches were very impressive, and a few the judges seemed to be disdainful of I thought weren't any worse than the ones they liked (plus, show us one good one; they said "have a strong beginning/middle/end ... but none of the pitches had much of all three)

Sex it up, add conflict, but they gotta step away from American Idol, where it's just the celeb Judges bloviating. Show the movies, show the personality clashes, get that one chick nekkid ... I know the shining path when I see it laid out before me.

Meerkat
05-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I cannot believe the special effects those three (couple's argument stopping time) came up with in 24 hours! THAT is the team to watch in the endgame...

ChunkyC
05-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh YEAH! Wasn't that awesome? There's a team that was able to see past personalities and make the most of each of their talents. What a thrill it must have been for those kids to hear the reaction of the audience when the hangers froze in mid-air. I don't think anyone, the judges included, expected to see something like that. Wow!

As Marshall said, the average movie costs $100,000 per day to shoot. Time pressure on a big time director will be enormous, so which of these 'contestants' can come through under that sort of pressure? The next test is more of the same. I think it's a pretty good way to cull the group down to the final 18.

Meerkat
05-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Charlie, I think you just defined the key to success in EVERY field of endeavor.

Rainy Night
05-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I cannot believe the special effects those three (couple's argument stopping time) came up with in 24 hours! THAT is the team to watch in the endgame...

I think that's a fairly easy effect, still it made everyone's jaw drop, and I agree what a way for a team to pull together.

I also liked the first short, I can't remember the name, the random act of kindness one, in the laundry mat... I thought that team did a excellent job.

I wish we could have seen all of the shorts, maybe they have them on line.

ChunkyC
05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I think that's a fairly easy effect, still it made everyone's jaw drop, and I agree what a way for a team to pull together.
I think it was the fact they were able to get it done in the time they had that was so amazing. Some of the other teams were so busy bickering they barely got their raw footage in the can.

I also liked the first short, I can't remember the name, the random act of kindness one, in the laundry mat... I thought that team did a excellent job.
Agreed, that one was great. They told a complete story with humour and style.

I wish we could have seen all of the shorts, maybe they have them on line.
Ooh, wicked; they have them right here (http://www.thelot.com/episodes/?ep=2&vd=21).

Rainy Night
05-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I think it was the fact they were able to get it done in the time they had that was so amazing. Some of the other teams were so busy bickering they barely got their raw footage in the can.
Agreed

small axe
05-26-2007, 01:42 AM
I loved the "frozen time" fx too ... but my issue (had I been on that team) would've been: "we're putting all our eggs in the one FX guy's basket"

It's not even an issue over the gamble on "can he do it in 24 hours?" so much as ... the Judges will know we were riding on his coat tails, right? So he'll get through and we'll be stuck be judged on the 'simple camera work' that made it possible for him to shine via his (not the other 2 guys') mad FX skillz.

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted: I hate that guy. All weepy and "I'm using these crappy digital cameras ... boohoohoo" Black eyes to you, nazi, we'd all have loved to have you shot, and most wouldn't have been half the jerk you were!

I wanted to cry for the girl who got booted because the snotty DP messed up her visuals ...

I really think it's bad that the Directors are being so rushed ("You have a half hour to go plan your next shoot and then one hour to shoot, and you haven't slept for 48 hours! And did we tell you about the rabid weasel we will sew inside your body cavity? Now ... GO!")

Please: yes, there's "pressure" in shooting ... but there's also the fact that some greatly creative people only show it if you let them be quiet and think, okay? This should be about creativity, not Trumpian bosses setting impossible tasks that weed out the artistry and the contemplative creator.

It's the whole "medical intern on a 36 hour shift" problem: I want my life protected by someone who's had some sleep ... I don't care how "tough" they are.

Anyway ... hope we'll see more of the films and more actually process, not the "survivor island" headgames = ratings schtick.

Love the show. Not sure it has a chance in hell of big ratings success. I'd bet $100 that many (many) of us could've designed a better, more entertaining, more enlightening show.

Guy like Spielberg, I know he's busy, but c'mon ... do the studio suits screw around with his ideas too, or is this just the show Spielberg wanted to make?

ChunkyC
05-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Good points about speed vs creativity, and I totally dig what you mean about the 36 hour shift.

I'm betting that the majority of directors working in Hollywood have crazy schedules and money guys breathing down their necks all the time, so while what they're putting these kids through is extreme, I think what they're looking for in the final 18 are those people who can be creative while under the gun. Just my take on the tasks they've been given so far.

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted
I was glad to see him turfed too. What a jerk. All you have to do is look at the extras on a few DVDs to see that most successful directors are nowhere near that condescending. How the heck are you supposed to get the best effort from someone if you make them hate you?

Anyway ... hope we'll see more of the films and more actually process, not the "survivor island" headgames = ratings schtick.
Me too.

small axe
05-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Um, okay, I was writing in fragments above ("Hey! I haven't slept in 48 hours, and they sewed a rabid weasel in my body cavity!") but this one wasn't an immediately-obvious typo, so I need to clarify:

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted: I hate that guy. All weepy and "I'm using these crappy digital cameras ... boohoohoo" Black eyes to you, nazi, we'd all have loved to have you shot, and most wouldn't have been half the jerk you were!

I meant to write "We'd all love to have your shot" [at being in the competition] ...

While his team mates may have wanted to have him actually 'shot' ... myself, I just meant I was glad to see him booted off the show. I wasn't advocating anyone's assassination.

Yet. ;)

ChunkyC
05-26-2007, 08:23 PM
LOL!

Rainy Night
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
What was your favorite short that they premired last night?

I liked Danger Zone and Dance Man. The majority of shorts were well made but it seemed to me that those shorts that told a story were the best... concept was king.

Toothpaste
05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
I liked Dance man too, and what was the one called where the cop pulled aside those aliens? I thought that was cute.

Did anyone else get a little tired of Gary Marshall explaining to the women how it was their job to bring a female perspective to everything they filmed? Aren't women allowed to just, you know, make a movie?

ChunkyC
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM
No kidding! He kept on like having a woman director would be this amazing new thing. Um, Gary ... your sister Penny? Or Amy Heckerling (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)? Hello?

I also liked that mister 'I don't need no stinkin' film school' made probably the worst one of the bunch.

Rainy Night
05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Isn't Carrie Fisher the new Paula Abdul, every critique was prefaced with the "You're a great filmmaker..." ugggg... I longed for a Simon Cowell.

ChunkyC
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Egads!

1 - why is Kenny still there?

2 - how the heck did "Get a Rhoom" make it into the top three?

Writer14
05-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I thought the show was actually realli entertaining! I'd rather watch "On The Lot" then American Idol for some reason. However...whenever i see 3 judges i think "American idol" and listening to them can get pretty lame because of that stupid thought process i have.

Rainy Night
05-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Egads!

1 - why is Kenny still there?

2 - how the heck did "Get a Rhoom" make it into the top three?

1. Kenny pulled in the wacky vote... I know it doesn't seem right, but there's a segment of the population that relates to that type of film.

2. The film was a tad insensitive, but I thought it was well made. The directors talents could have been better served with a different subject, but let's face it, these guys aren't writers.

Rainy Night
05-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I thought the show was actually realli entertaining! I'd rather watch "On The Lot" then American Idol for some reason. However...whenever i see 3 judges i think "American idol" and listening to them can get pretty lame because of that stupid thought process i have.

I like the show, but it looks like the ratings are not so high.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1275&cs=1 (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117965916.html?categoryid=1275&cs=1)

ChunkyC
05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
1. Kenny pulled in the wacky vote... I know it doesn't seem right, but there's a segment of the population that relates to that type of film.
True enough. To me it was just plain bad.

2. The film was a tad insensitive, but I thought it was well made. The directors talents could have been better served with a different subject, but let's face it, these guys aren't writers.
Good point. Thing is, the director kept calling his character a 'nerd'. Bill Gates is a nerd. The character was not. He came across as mentally challenged and I'm astonished the director didn't know the difference. And more surprised that the viewers voted it into the top three, well made or not.

Overall, though, I still like the show and am disappointed the ratings aren't so good.

small axe
05-31-2007, 03:25 AM
I thought the guy in "Getta Rhoom" came across as more "retarded" than "nerd" yes. (And I am unafraid to use the phrase "retarded" ... what the hell have we come to where we have to say "special needs" -- "I saw special needs" sez the one judge)

I laughed. In a competition about "comedy" (which certainly doomed a few serious talented filmmakers) the guy from KEN-tucky made me laugh.

And if the "retarded" actor had actually been played by a "retarded" actor, then it would've been all PC, right, and the two-faced judges would've been slavering with praise (if we can use the word 'slavver' here, and if slavver is a word)

Kentucky was a Border State, dang ye! Kentucky was the state where Lincoln didn't free the slaves, I think?

So ... the wit and wisdom of Kentucky is perhaps not for Carrie Fisher to rule on. Perhaps culturally, the Rhoom kid is just a 'nerd' in Kentucky.

Here, across the state line: guy was "special needs" and it was funny and not insulting, so yayyyyy American voters.

That certainly wasn't the crudest film on the show. It pissed me off how Carrie Fisher delighted in saying Fart 20ish times, but then poo-pooed it as a topic (if we can politely use "poo-poo" in the same sentence)

Glad we're SEEING FILMS now. Not crazy about the "stand and be judged" rechnique, it's too game-shoy/talent contesty .... but if that helps it get RATINGS, go on.

Strip the contestants naked and whip them with videotape, if it'll get ratings. :)

Now, Adrianna Costa as hostess? Chick WEIRDS ME OUT. Listen to her comments when the gay guy doesn't want to grope her ass? Please ... she is dangerously strange in her choice of ad libs.

But again ... videotape bondage. Because We Want America To Watch.

dclary
05-31-2007, 03:29 AM
I thought the guy in "Getta Rhoom" came across as more "retarded" than "nerd" yes. (And I am unafraid to use the phrase "retarded" ... what the hell have we come to where we have to say "special needs" -- "I saw special needs" sez the one judge)

I laughed. In a competition about "comedy" (which certainly doomed a few serious talented filmmakers) the guy from KEN-tucky made me laugh.

And if the "retarded" actor had actually been played by a "retarded" actor, then it would've been all PC, right, and the two-faced judges would've been slavering with praise (if we can use the word 'slavver' here, and if slavver is a word)

Kentucky was a Border State, dang ye! Kentucky was the state where Lincoln didn't free the slaves, I think?

So ... the wit and wisdom of Kentucky is perhaps not for Carrie Fisher to rule on. Perhaps culturally, the Rhoom kid is just a 'nerd' in Kentucky.

Here, across the state line: guy was "special needs" and it was funny and not insulting, so yayyyyy American voters.

That certainly wasn't the crudest film on the show. It pissed me off how Carrie Fisher delighted in saying Fart 20ish times, but then poo-pooed it as a topic (if we can politely use "poo-poo" in the same sentence)

Glad we're SEEING FILMS now. Not crazy about the "stand and be judged" rechnique, it's too game-shoy/talent contesty .... but if that helps it get RATINGS, go on.

Strip the contestants naked and whip them with videotape, if it'll get ratings. :)

Now, Adrianna Costa as hostess? Chick WEIRDS ME OUT. Listen to her comments when the gay guy doesn't want to grope her ass? Please ... she is dangerously strange in her choice of ad libs.

But again ... videotape bondage. Because We Want America To Watch.
I believe you mean "slathering."

small axe
05-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Dclary, you made me seek understanding in my dictionary again. :)

Both words work, actually, "slather" meaning to smear on like butter on toast (or smearing on praise, I see your meaning) or "slaver" (which I couldn't spell, thinking "wait, it cannot be the same word as "one who traffics in slaves" ... given my Kentucky's-unfreed-slaves ... but it is) which is to drool or smear with saliva (but pronounced both with short and long vowel "a")

Let's just say two of the judges slaver and one slathers!

Kenny Luby? He slithers.

Jessica the hot chick? Shivers of delight.

ChunkyC
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
What the hell have we come to? How about our senses? Is it putting some kind of onerous burden upon someone to ask them to say 'special needs' instead?

We don't use the word 'retarded' because the slightly shortened form 'retard' is a derogatory term. So out of consideration for those who find that word offensive, myself and the former owner of this site (who's brother is a special olympian) included, we do not use that word around here and I'm glad to see it not being used elsewhere.

small axe
06-01-2007, 03:52 PM
What the hell have we come to? How about our senses? Is it putting some kind of onerous burden upon someone to ask them to say 'special needs' instead?

We don't use the word 'retarded' because the slightly shortened form 'retard' is a derogatory term. So out of consideration for those who find that word offensive, myself and the former owner of this site (who's brother is a special olympian) included, we do not use that word around here and I'm glad to see it not being used elsewhere.

Well, my point would be, "retarded" isn't a derogatory term any more than "handicapped" is ... (crippled used to be the offensive word, handicapped was the respectful word, and someone changing it to some PC form such as "differently abled" doesn't render "handicapped" offensive, etc)

A change in use needn't make the previous term "derogatory" where it wasn't derogatory before ... and that's how I meant it:

Not in any derogatory sense.

It's no sin if the judge had said "retarded" (and the judge's sentence "I sense special needs there ..." is so PC it's absurd imo)

I'd agree with you that calling someone a "ret*rd" is derogatory (as calling someone a Jap is derogatory where Japanese isn't, etc) ... The noun can become more abrupt than the descriptive adjective, I suppose.

"Mental retardation" is still a valid term, I'm guessing; so "retardation" and "retarded" shouldn't be constued as insults either, I'd hope.

But, I respect your preferences that the word be avoided here; please accept my apologies if any were offended.

I'd suggest (imo) the word isn't actually offensive. New uses and new words come into vogue, obviously ... but using a respectful word needn't become an insult, even if the use is out of vogue or dated?

ChunkyC
06-01-2007, 06:04 PM
But, I respect your preferences that the word be avoided here; please accept my apologies if any were offended.
Accepted, and thank you.

Rainy Night
06-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know the assignment for this week? I missed the end of the show on Tuesday...

Rainy Night
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Is this show doomed? Last week's episode was really blah...

Toothpaste
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I think it is doomed.

The problem is they are trying to stage this show like American Idol. But the people who are interested in this sort of show aren't the same audience. What they really should be doing is showing us the directors' processes (like they did with the first 2 episodes). People who really like film and this kind of stuff (cough me cough), LOVE the process. That's why the special features of LOTR and the journals for King Kong were so amazing and popular, people want to know all the little details, they don't want to just watch the end result. At least not with a show like this.

I think they should have left the public out of it. Made it a competition, but had a jury of industry types choosing. Then it wouldn't have to be live, and they could get more into the details.

Rainy Night
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I think it is doomed.

The problem is they are trying to stage this show like American Idol. But the people who are interested in this sort of show aren't the same audience. What they really should be doing is showing us the directors' processes (like they did with the first 2 episodes). People who really like film and this kind of stuff (cough me cough), LOVE the process. That's why the special features of LOTR and the journals for King Kong were so amazing and popular, people want to know all the little details, they don't want to just watch the end result. At least not with a show like this.

I think they should have left the public out of it. Made it a competition, but had a jury of industry types choosing. Then it wouldn't have to be live, and they could get more into the details.

My thoughts exactly... more behind the scenes etc... I was really hoping that they'd go Apprentice style dividing the directors into teams each person taking a role in the making of the film... have the viewers vote on which of the films they liked and then the judges picking the person who was the "weak link" to send home.

That would have been more interesting for me.

I fear this will go the way of PGL, another great idea executed poorly.

ChunkyC
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
You may well be right. Another thing they're doing wrong is not explaining the blasted format to the audience. We had to wait through the entire episode to find out (mainly through intuition) that they are going to have 5 of the fifteen each week and eliminate one out of each group of five.

I'm finding the presentation to be really clumsy, which is hilarious when you consider they're supposed to be looking for a good director. I think the show itself could use one.

Kosh
06-13-2007, 04:48 AM
I'm really turned off by the attitude of some of these guys. Marty seems like one of those guys who will make a lousy art film and then call the people who don't like it stupid. He says he wants to work with Spielberg, I'm pretty sure Spielberg will give him some criticism. And the audience can't possibly be made of filmmakers, criticism isn't something to "boo".

Celia Cyanide
06-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I am glad none of the entries I was in made it on the show.

small axe
06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Loved Marty Martin's "Dance With The Devil" thing, great visuals, great style ... and no audience intelligence-insulting characters (the "in love" couple in the Stupid Cupid -- I remember Garry Marshall's title, not the filmmaker's -- or Slut Mom)

Adriana Costa looked scrumptous too, and didn't try to jill off on any of the contestants, either! :) (Which may not be the ratings boost the show desperately needs!)

ChunkyC
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Marty's was pretty good, though I did agree with the crit he got. But he's an arrogant little snot and I laughed out loud when he got insulted at Fisher calling him on it. Hey man, you don't want people to think you're in love with yourself? Then don't do an intro where you tell people you think you're better than everyone else. Sheesh.

Rainy Night
06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I see things in odd ways sometimes…

Have you noticed that the two men who have been voted out so far were beardless? The remaining male contestants all have scruffy beards or at least a shadow, with the exception of David May.

My advice to David… don’t shave or you’ll be the next to go!

Sage
06-17-2007, 04:19 AM
We'll see what happens this week. I think the trick is to stick out. It doesn't matter if most of the viewers think that the movie sucked, if there's a group that likes it because it's different, you'll do better than the person who everyone forgets about 'cuz theirs was good but didn't stick out. We'll see if Kenny goes (as I think he should), but if there's a group out there who found the rock video style interesting & not head-achy, then he might survive past, say, the cupid one.

Rainy Night
06-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm really hoping Kenny goes home tonight.

Kosh
06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
I really can't stand this audience. Anything short of "you were wonderful" gets booed (unless you're funny about it). And I love Zach's work. I'd love to have a story directed by him, but it looks like he can write his own stuff.

zpeteman
06-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Thank heavens, Marty is gone.

small axe
06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Marty Martin's trailers were great! That Stupid Cupid or Slut Mom should've gone, not Marty. Carrie Fisher wised off and needed to have Marty's foot in her teethhhhhh (figuratively) and he gave it back, so good for him.

This week? Zach's SUNSHINE GIRL was beautiful, Jason's BLOOD BORN was one I loved too (and once again, the Judges just do. not. understand. him.)

THE ORCHARD was actually horrid. Is "horrid" a genre, because that Jessica doll nailed "horrid" and then dared (dared) to defend it as being "experimental" ?!?

I loved that they put these words in Adriana Costa's mouth on national teevee: "Filmmaking is Storytelling."

Are you LISTENING, America (all eight of you who are still watching ON THE LOT ???) Filmmaking is storytelling!

ChunkyC
06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Marty Martin's trailers were great!
But they're not supposed to be trailers. I'm glad he's gone. Not only was he arrogant (arrogance and confidence are two different animals), after being told repeatedly to make something that's actually a short movie with a beginning middle and end, he couldn't pull it off. And as for what Carrie Fisher said to him last week: good for her. Somebody needed to tell him to keep his ego in check, but it was too little too late since I'm sure that's what killed his chances.

This week? Zach's SUNSHINE GIRL was beautiful
Not perfect, but the best of the night.

Jason's BLOOD BORN was one I loved too (and once again, the Judges just do. not. understand. him.)
Neither do I. Okay, I actually did get it this time, but I agree with what the judges said about the story not being clear enough. But there was definitely a story there. To my mind, he's showing improvement as we go along.

THE ORCHARD was actually horrid.
Yuck. Worst one of the night. I see her on a Grayhound next week. Funny part is, she has the best attitude. Quite a few of the others could learn a thing or two from her about taking crit without behaving like a petulant child.

Rainy Night
06-20-2007, 10:07 PM
So much for the scruffy beard theory...

I can't wait to be done with these 3 minute films. Maybe next week we can see some new films and some behind the scenes. (You all know that these first 3-minute films are the contestants’ submission films, right?) These are the films that got them on the show, which really makes me wonder about the selection process...

And what's up with the Logline Challenge? Voting was suppose to start on the 18th, then pushed back to the 19th, the 21st and now the 26th? I confess I entered. If selected to be included in the voting I promise to shamelessly promote myself here. If I win the Logline Challenge I promise to shamelessly plug AW... so vote for me... the contestant to be named later...

I like the show... but it could have been done so much better, excellent concept executed poorly. Maybe it'll get better as it gets more challenging for the directors.

I'm going out on a limb... I think Zach's going to win the thing.

De Lady
07-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I love this show but it doesn't seem to be doing too well. Just wondering if there is anyone still out there tuning in.

ChunkyC
07-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Welcome to the Cooler, De Lady. :)

Yeah, I'm still watching. It's just -- I dunno, not exciting enough. I really think they've boogered up the format. This splitting into alternating groups so each director does something every second week and then not finding out who got voted off until a week later just isn't working for me.

On the positive side, some of those kids are starting to show their chops. And I too think Zach is the one to beat.

Celia Cyanide
07-13-2007, 06:13 AM
He always thought they formated it wrong, should have shown more of the process instead of the commentary by the judges.

That's what a lot of people seem to think here, too. But that might effect the voting differently. Instead of voting for the best film, people might end up voting for the most interesting contestant.

We're all rooting for Andy here. A Minneapolis filmmaker could make a great film with only a million dollars.

ChunkyC
07-13-2007, 09:11 PM
My son is one of the cameramen on the show.
Wow, cool job! :)

Andy and Will are good too. I very much like their stuff.

Rainy Night
07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I've lost interest... but still catch the replays of the show on-line when I have time. Very disappointed, this was one of my most anticipated tv shows ever and I think the format just ruined it for me.

small axe
07-19-2007, 07:33 AM
I still tune in and enjoy it, but really now it's so I can feel the outrage over how wrong and dense Carrie Fisher seems to be in her Judgement of some of the guys' films.

I say "guys" because she torpedoed one female Shalin for daring to try to "send a message" and now both femme directors are gone!

Gladly, this seems to be the week Kenny Luby gets his just desserts (extinction). His skateboard fiasco was as bad as his ego is over-inflated!

Loved Jason-from-Kentucky's "SWEET" (the marrieds who forget each other's anniversary) and Sam's KEY WITNESS (two guys chased by killers) ... Mateen's CATCH (singing girl tries to jack the cop) was the nicer story, but I thought the "action" was a little weak (don't have your action/chase start moving away from the camera, and sustain that as a wide shot, it's instantly deflating etc)

Carrie (predictably) loved ZERO2SIXTY best (which the other two Judges saw through, thanky) ...

So yes, I for one still watch ON THE LOT. It's getting better (Horror, Action, and no real stinkers like before) ... but yes, still a disappointment to the great filmmaking TV contest it shouldah been!