Dear Sexy, Sexy Agent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
When querying an agent, I always make sure to personalize it to that specific agent. This involves a lot of research and visits to www.amazon.com to try to find out more about the agent's tastes and clients, in the hopes that my insightful comments will make the agent swoon to such an extent that they might actually need smelling salts to come around. It could happen.

I'm just not sure what to do with the information I find. So far, I always seem to end up saying something like, "With clients such as Jane Doe, I thought you might also be interested in my blend of humour/romance/whatever and suspense."

What do you say to the agents you're querying?

PS Feel free to use the title of this post for your query's salutation. :tongue

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I only did this with 1/16 agents and it was only because she represents one of my favorite authors ever. I threw that in the greeting paragraph. :)

I am so going to use that salutation! ;)

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, CCarver! So you don't usually personalize it beyond the agent's name? Veeeeery interesting...

If I were an agent, I for one would be thrilled if people called me sexy all day. It would TOTALLY make me want to read their pages. Heh.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
When I queried agents, I did my research about the type of books they represented but kept the letter strictly to business and this approach was successful for me. Saying something about another person they represent would really turn me off if i were an agent. It is almost as if you are saying that you are like that person, and it strikes me as being along the lines of like telling they you have written a best seller or that everyone loves your book.

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
I don't query agents (not a book writer) but I did read this great article on mediabistro once by a nameless editor. The whole article was amazing, but the part I always remember best is that he said, "If you're going to name names, you'd better make damn sure I like the person." -- Something along those lines. It makes sense. What if I query so and so editor and mention a writer they worked with before and for whatever reason the editor hated that writer. I've just opened my query by leaving a bad taste in the editors mouth (not my goal). I think it's good advice.

Take care
~ Jennifer

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a meeting with my agent, had dinner with her, chatted several times, even breakfast before I asked if she would look at some things. She agreed, and we have been a team ever since. She even told me to POD my cookbook, gave me a couple of publishers to contact. I don't ask her to read uneditted crap, and she treats me as a client/friend. I value her advice and she has always been straight up and honest with me. Recently, her agency split, and one of the agents took a number of clients. Because I had been friends with the splitting agent, my agent asked if I wanted to leave the agency. I stayed with the original - she's older (much), but still a shrewd negotiator...and knows contracts better than most lawyers.

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
When I queried agents, I did my research about the type of books they represented but kept the letter strictly to business and this approach was successful for me. Saying something about another person they represent would really turn me off if i were an agent. It is almost as if you are saying that you are like that person, and it strikes me as being along the lines of like telling they you have written a best seller or that everyone loves your book.

Now I'm even more befuddled. I've read all over the place that agents like it if you show you picked them for a reason, and have the first clue about who they are as an agent. How else can you express that if you can't mention other clients they represent? I just want to tell them my writing style might be similar to stuff they've liked in the past. ::despairs::

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I just say whatever it was that drew me to the agent. Once of the first things that gets my attention is if the agent is Recommended by Preditors and Editors, ao I mention that. Sometimes the agent tells a little about him or herself and I find that I have similar interests so I would mention that in the letter. If I am impressed by the list of sales or best-selling authors, I mention that. I would never say my work is like that of another author for if it's like the work of somebody they already represent, why do they need me? I am no expert, as proven by the lack of agent interest in any of my novels. I wouldn't recommend being insincere with an agent though, as they are people first and wouldn't want to feel as if I was trying to manipulate them.

Last edited:

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
I just say whatever it was that drew me to the agent. Once of the first things that gets my attention is if the agent is Recommended by Preditors and Editors, ao I mention that. Sometimes the agent tells a little about him or herself and I find that I have similar interests so I would mention that in the letter. If I am impressed by the list of sales or best-selling authors, I mention that. I would never say my work is like that of another author for if it's like the work of somebody they already represent, why do they need me? I am no expert, as proven by teh lack of agent interest in any of my novels. I wouldn't recommend being insincere with an agent though, as they are people first and wouldn't want to feel as if I was trying to manipulate them.

Very good advice. ::takes it::

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
The only two times I personalized queries were:

1. The agent once belonged to my writers' group.

b. An agent mentioned he was a soccer coach and my book was a sports romance.

In both cases, I received requests for partials.

They were brief mentions, but they were just enough.

Of course I amend every query according to the individual agent's submission requirements, etc. Saying stuff like "I saw you in AgentQuery" is redundant.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
If it doesn't read forced to me, I'll add personalization to a query, but sometimes I can't make it sound well enough to justify it as anything other than awkward.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Very good info here, thanks to everyone who offered an opinion! I'm about to start querying soon, and this is something I've been struggling with. Especially since I've found very, very few examples of books similar to mine - I rarely would know what to say.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agent. Some say on their websites "tell me how you heard about the agency" or "tell me whose book yours is like".

If I'm querying an agent because they rep an author I love, I'll say that. If I'm querying them because they have a strong history of sales in my genre, I'll say that. But I never say more than a sentence or two about why I chose them. Anything more would be overkill. IMHO.

I never say that "My book is just like XYZ" because it probably isn't really and if it is, who wants to admit that. I say "My book will appeal to fans of XYZ". It gives them an idea of what group I'm writing for.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hi, CCarver! So you don't usually personalize it beyond the agent's name? Veeeeery interesting...

If I were an agent, I for one would be thrilled if people called me sexy all day. It would TOTALLY make me want to read their pages. Heh.

I haven't thus far, but like I said, I have only sent out 16 and I think with my next batch I will research harder and go for more of my specific genre instead of just "romance".

I sent a requested partial out today. Wish me luck! :)

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
I don't personalize it other than their name. In fact, it's the same exact query for each agent. I figure they're just going to send me a form rejection anyway, why shouldn't I send them a form query?

That's the spirit!

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
How about, "Dear agent X, I know where you live." Is that personal enough?

But seriously, if I can find the information (isn't always easy) and the agent has published something similar to mine, I'll mention it. But lately I've been wondering, is this really such a good idea? Won't some agents just think, "I've already done something like that, why would I want to do it again?"

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
How about, "Dear agent X, I know where you live." Is that personal enough?

But seriously, if I can find the information (isn't always easy) and the agent has published something similar to mine, I'll mention it. But lately I've been wondering, is this really such a good idea? Won't some agents just think, "I've already done something like that, why would I want to do it again?"

I just don't know. Is it really so bad when I say I can see by their client list that they seem to like writing with humour and suspense, and my writing has humour and suspense so I queried them??

::grumpy face::

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is perfectly okay to say that you are querying them because the represent humor and suspense or whatever your genre is. This is doing your homework. But I think it is iffy to mention specific authors. What if they used to rep someone and they have had a parting of the ways? To my way of thinking, agents get a lot of queries. All they really want to know from a query is
1) does this book interest me?
2) is there a possibility I can sell it?
3) is there a chance this author can actually write?
4) does the author appear sane and professional

If they answer yes, they request a partial or more for non-fiction a book proposal. I would keep things as short and business-like as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.