PDA

View Full Version : cause for self-loathing

Anthony Ravenscroft
05-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I try not to be a music snob, but the fact is I love it. I'm a musician, & very knowledgeable about music from around the world & in various eras & cultures. As well, I like to be on the cutting edge of club music, but I'm also conversant in 1950s Nashville, the Romantic composers, the Baroque era, the rise of jazz...

But there are some bands, some tunes that I'm a little embarrassed to admit liking. At the same time, I find it funny that this should be a problem. So I'm going to lead off the "guilty pleasures" confessions.

I like listening to Rick Astley.

And Hootie & the Blowfish.

Rivana
05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey, don't go dissing H&B, Let Her Cry is one of my fave songs. ^o^ And I, don't care who knows about it. Then again, I haven't been a music snob for years.

:) But Props to you for being brave about it.

Shadow_Ferret
05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't really consider myself a music snob, in fact, I tend to look down on music snobs. If they can't appreciate certain types of music, that's a fault within themselves, not the music.

That said, I don't know who Rick Astley is, but Hootie bored me.

ModoReese
05-23-2007, 05:19 AM
I liked "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys.

There. Said. Where do I turn in my music critic's card?

Seriously..... it was a finely crafted pop tune. Heckuva hook. Drove me crazy...

Michelle

Nolita
05-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Rick Astley's a tiny little white man with a big black voice. He sang Never Gonna Give You Up.

My guilty pleasure would have to be Robbie Williams. Only, I don't feel even a little bit guilty. See, I always had a crush on Cornelius in Planet of the Apes, and dang if Robbie's not a dead ringer for a human sized chimp with a british accent.

Add to that, a description in a Salon.com review of his hometown(they described Stoke On Trent as being the sweaty ass crack of England), and I gotta love him on principal. Seriously, I read that description than googled for Stoke and from the pics, England keeps an incredibly tidy ass crack.

Musically I mostly like Hot Fudge(had to ask an aussie pal if I was missing something in the lyrics, he assured me, "No love, they just rhyme"), Angels, and Feel. Plus the whole Swing When You're Winning album(he shoulda recorded it sooner and released it here, woulda been huge during the swing revival).

Ultra-guilty pleasure goes to former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell. She can't sing. She can't dance. She's not even especially pretty. But she doesn't let any of those things stop her. I give her bonus points for not going the Courtney Love route(which would have been so obvious).

Danger Jane
05-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Guilty pleasures? I guess Gwen Stefani.

I don't care if I am becoming a music snob, I love it. I'll go to NYU and become a hipster or something.

III
05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
"She went to the back to get high / I sat down on the couch and I cried"
- Hootie

That was all I ever needed to hear. I just wanted to kick his wussy butt. So very, very wimpy.

ChunkyC
05-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Ooo, guilty pleasures. Okay, I'll play....

Dancing Queen by ABBA. I think it is a brilliant pop song and couldn't imagine where you could change a single note to make it better. Listen to it through a really good system like you would your favourite music. It's incredible what you'll hear compared to how most of us have been exposed to that song over the years (elevators, department store, etc.).

But then that's true of any music. Listening to the pop version of Shania Twain's Forever And For Always from Up! through my home surround sound system set on HALL gives me chills.

madderblue
05-26-2007, 02:52 AM
I've been known to get out M. J's "Off the Wall" on occasion.

robeiae
05-26-2007, 03:59 AM
I don't really consider myself a music snob, in fact, I tend to look down on music snobs. If they can't appreciate certain types of music, that's a fault within themselves, not the music.
Like disco...

Shadow_Ferret
05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Like disco...
I thought we were talking about music.

Anthony Ravenscroft
05-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh, there's been great disco tunes, just as there's been great whiteboy rap. Now, it might not get the most buzz....

Anthony Ravenscroft
05-26-2007, 08:59 PM
The reason I mention Astley & Hootie is that they were/are decent acts, but the artificial hype made them punchlines. Hell, I can say the same about Milli Vanilli -- whoever it was who actually did the singing, anyway.

I feel ABBA & Dave Matthews & other acts went the same way, into stereotype, so that it's impossible to get taken seriously. I've surprised people by playing non-hit cuts from early Black Sabbath albums, & people who "hate heavy metal" are amazed by the jazzy bounce... until I name the source, then they retroactively denounce it as garbage.

madderblue
05-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Oh, I don't think I'd call Black Sabbath heavy metal. God, they were amazing! Heck, I remember the first time I heard them, my dad had an old reel to reel player and he had Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath. Blew my mind.

Did they even call it heavy metal back in the seventies? (Talking pre Dio here). I always imagine heavy metal as I know it as the whole Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Scorpians even. I don't think I'd even label Zep or Deep Purple, Budgie, UFO heavy metal. What would that be called? Hard Rock? The Good Stuff?

Shadow_Ferret
05-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Black Sabbath isn't heavy metal. The term didn't even come out until the mid-70s, I believe. Black Sabbath have always had a very fundamental blues foundation to their music, just with a lot of distortion. I grew up calling it hard rock.

Oh, there's been great disco tunes, just as there's been great whiteboy rap. Now, it might not get the most buzz....
I can't think of one great disco tune. And I doubt that you can either. I'm thinking you're confusing disco with funk. But then I can't think of any great rap tunes, white or otherwise.