Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What are the signs? According to Uncle Jim, it's the sound of pages turned quickly...

How about "I finished the darn book in less than a day"?

Or "I forgot where I was..."?

Or "After the third page, I completely forgot to critique the ms..."?

Or "I wish I could write like that"?

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
"I don't normally read this kind of book, but once I started, I couldn't put it down..."

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
What My-Immortal said. I've had that experience with quite a few books.

Another one could be an absence of music or TV in the house, and just the sound of quiet, while someone is enveloped in their new favorite story?

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm reading a good book, it's difficult to distract me, and I am generally easily distracted. My partner says he can tell when I'm really enjoying a book because I sit for hours without getting up for anything.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
"Normally I go to bed early, but I stayed up half the night reading this" does it for me. I once gave a book to a boy who read till 2:00 a.m. when he was supposed to be out mowing grass at 8:30!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
"What? That's all? I'm out of Goblin Hero? Noooooooooooo!"

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Once in middle school I was reading a book in the courtyard after lunch. Next thing I knew, I looked up, and I was the only one there. Turns out the bell had rung, everyone had filed back into the school, and I had missed half a class all without realizing it.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Yeah, I'll have to agree with these. I can finish most paperbacks in a few hours, so if it's a good one, my husband must make sure to get my attention or I'll never hear him.

And if it's really good, I'll walk around the house doing chores and stuff with my nose in the book.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's laughing. Some guy in Paris was reading a book, laughing and laughing. I pretended to drop something so I could see the cover, hoping that I'd discover a new author.

But no. I'd already read it.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else do a weird should wriggle thing?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
When I was younger, I had a weird, subconscious habit of glancing over to the next page (especially near the ends of chapters). It would usually spoil something, so I made it a habit to use an index card as a bookmark, and run it down the page as I read. Made it impossible to glance ahead.

Definitely a sign that I was reading a good book.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
When my eyes start wattering and I realize I haven't blinked for a while. I've actually had glassy eyes after finishing an especially good book lol...

That, or I finish a chapter and realize I'm incredibly thirsty, have to pee like a race horse, and an arm/leg/foot has fallen asleep because I leaned/sat on it too long.

Reaction score
When I'd rather stay up reading than go to bed. Or when I'd rather stay in than go out...no, actually, that's normal for me. ;)

If I finish a book and say, "I wish I'd written that," it goes on my favourite books list, for when people say, "Nichola, you're a bookworm. What would you recommend?" Without even speaking, I hand them a print-out of the list. Or email it to them.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
After I've finished a good book (that I sometimes wish wasn't over yet), I will go back to some of my favorite parts and read them again, or go back two chapters and read the end again, just so I can pretend it isn't really over yet.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Definitely "go back and read it again"!

Also: "I need to make dinner; I'll pick it up again later... oh well, just one more chapter -- I need to find out what happens next... " and then 3 hours later... "darn, where was dinner?"

Staying up until the wee hours is a CLEAR sign. I usually don't stay up reading.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband knows I enjoyed a book when I rush to my computer to find anything else by the author on amazon.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's the smell of a diaper, because I've been so engrossed in the book I forgot to change him.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I'll carry the book all around the house, even if I don't intend on reading it at that moment, because it makes me happy just having it in my hands. It's like a dog showing off a bone: "Here, see! I've got this good thing, and you don't, so there!" You don't have to be chewing it to enjoy it.

:snoopy:

Nicole

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I carry books around too. :)

If I'm reading a book and have to put it down, I know it's a really good book if I catch myself thinking, "What was I eating that was so good?" I wasn't eating anything--I was just getting as much pleasure from the book as from a big hot fudge sundae with sprinkles! Mmmmm, hot fudge sundae....

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Or watching people driving the highway in morning and afternoon traffic reading, makes me wonder not only how they do it but what makes that book so good that they can't put it down and drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.