spiralbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflywilma

who here has spiralbounded their book and regretted it or not regretted it.

:nerd

veingloree

I have spiral bound books but they are small press. It looks amateur at worst, small press at best -- to be avoided, I think.

Betty W01

Speaking as a librarian, if your book is one that you'd like to see librarians purchase, you will want to avoid spiral and comb binding both. They are both less durable than regular methods and librarians who are watching their budget pennies (most of them, nowadays) may pass over them for books that will hold up better.

jmhcreativesolutions

I've spiral bound copies that I keep for myself, but I leave the pages loose (as noted in guidelines) in submissions. I'm not sure if you're talking about spiral binding for self publication or for submissions . . . I must've missed that point. ::b lushes::

mammamaia

also depends on the kind of book...

if it's a cookbook, i'll buy spiral over sewn any day... same for any other kind of technical-ish how-to... it helps to be able to leave it open and not have it close up on you, losing your place...

if you mean for submitting it, as jenn wondered, DON'T!... all mss must be loose...

if you're talking about a novel or chapbook or such, i agree that spiral is not the way to go...

NomadPress

spiral

Spiral binding is much more expensive than standard perfect binding. Generally speaking, in the book trade only travel guides and cookbooks are spiral bound, since they are a pain to stock on bookshelves and tend to come apart.

Lonna

Spiral

I believe it depends on the topic. I have two How-To books on gift basket business and the spiral was perfect since it is referenced a lot. As for the book shelves, it is said that the spiral will not sell as well as perfect-bound or hardcover. Except for the cookbook, again it is referenced a lot which makes opening over and over keep it in tact. What is the topic?

veingloree

Re: Spiral

In my experience spiral binding is by far the cheaper option, it can be done at home with a $100 machine, which is why the small press use it.

butterflywilma

it's for publishing
it's a lifestyle beauty stuff book, with some how to sections lot's of pics and illustrations.
It's going to have a barcode/isbn etc.
I was thinking about wire-o because
of the paper i wanted to use. I wanted machinecoatedpaper so my pics will look better but i've read that this kind of paper is more difficult to glue.
I must admit that a spiral book would look a bit less like a real book to me personally. For cookbooks or how to books i agree it's great. And looks kind of trendy too.

Greenwolf103

Hi, butterflywilma,

With that information, may I offer a suggestion? Go ahead with the spiral bound. Or the wire "o." I say this because women might want something that will stay opened easily as they try the methods used (the book can lie flat while they apply your suggestions, etc.). They can also have it opened to the exact pages they want and pass it around as they share it with their girlfriends and sisters.

Just my opinion. I agree that cookbooks are great when spiral bound. I have a REALLY THICK paperback cookbook with one recipe that I absolutely adore and use a lot, and keeping that darn book open as I mix, stir and cook can be a real pain. :teeth

Good luck! :)

--Dawn

butterflywilma

wire-o it is.
I'm afraid the pages will come loose with the glued books.
thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.