PDA

View Full Version : Do agents advise each other?

ccarver30
05-21-2007, 07:29 PM
If one agent likes a query/story but it isn't quite what they represent, will they network and send it on to another agent that WOULD be interested in representing it (it is right for their genres)?

DeadlyAccurate
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
If it's another agent outside their agency, I suspect most would simply give you the name of the agent and possibly say, "Tell them I sent you." It would be a bit rude to just toss your manuscript across town without so much as a "by your leave."

Jamesaritchie
05-21-2007, 07:59 PM
If one agent likes a query/story but it isn't quite what they represent, will they network and send it on to another agent that WOULD be interested in representing it (it is right for their genres)?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. An agents will sometimes recommend you send a book to another agent she knows, and will sometimes even ask permission to send the manuscript herself.

It is not something you can count on, however, and from my experience it's only done with a manuscript the agent believes has great potential, and only to another agent she knows personally.

lostlore
05-22-2007, 06:32 PM
If it's another agent outside their agency, I suspect most would simply give you the name of the agent and possibly say, "Tell them I sent you." It would be a bit rude to just toss your manuscript across town without so much as a "by your leave."

Happened to me, FWIW. Agent said he knew another agent who might be a good match, and wanted to know if I minded if he gave my partial to this other agent.

Julie Worth
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
If it's another agent outside their agency, I suspect most would simply give you the name of the agent and possibly say, "Tell them I sent you."

I've had this happen, but it's rare. Passing it around within the agency is common.

Nathan Bransford
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I will occasionally recommend something that I think is good but don't specialize in. It's somewhat rare, but it happens.

Also, it's tempting when you receive a rejection to then ask the agent to pass along the query, but I wouldn't do that -- if the agent thought of someone who would be right for the work they would have arleady recommended him/her.

ccarver30
05-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I will occasionally recommend something that I think is good but don't specialize in. It's somewhat rare, but it happens.

Also, it's tempting when you receive a rejection to then ask the agent to pass along the query, but I wouldn't do that -- if the agent thought of someone who would be right for the work they would have arleady recommended him/her.

EEP! I'd never ask an agent to do so, I was just wondering. :tongue

waylander
05-23-2007, 01:45 AM
[quote=Nathan Bransford;1350807]I will occasionally recommend something that I think is good but don't specialize in. It's somewhat rare, but it happens. [quote]

So how do you react if a query comes in which says that Agent XYZ suggested I try sending this to you?