Courier or Times New Roman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in courier all characters take up the same amount of space where in Times they do not. Go with courier even if you are like me and dislike it. :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I used to hate Courier but since most agent and publishers request it, I've gotten used to it. I actually kind of like it now...

Everything I've ever submitted asked for Courier...but since nothing I've ever submitted has been accepted, don't listen to me. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Question:
Should manuscripts be in courier or times? Does anyone really know? Or can you direct me to an agent blog that says?

You aren't likely to be rejected for using Times, though I do know a couple of editors who hate it so much they won't read it, but Courier has always been the standard, and it's immensely easier to edit than Times.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
My default s always courier, but if a publisher, agent or editor requests something like Times, that's what they get. Even sold a short to a publication where the editor requested Garamond.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always used Times New Roman, and haven't had any complaints yet. (But if I knew a certain editor hated it, I'd switch the font before submitting.)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Question:
Should manuscripts be in courier or times? Does anyone really know? Or can you direct me to an agent blog that says?

Write well, and follow submission guidelines. If the guidelines don't specify a font, use whichever of the two you prefer. I'm not sure why so many people obsess over formatting this way.

That's why I uploaded those darn templates in the short fiction forum; less type worrying about formatting is more time doing something that matters.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've always used Times New Roman, and haven't had any complaints yet. (But if I knew a certain editor hated it, I'd switch the font before submitting.)

The trouble with Times is that you almost never do get complaints. Editors seldom complain about anything. There isn't enough time in the day to do so. But not getting complaints does not make Times any easier to edit. Try inserting proofreaders' marks into a page of Times, then on a page of Courier, and see which gives you a headache.

Courier is the standard, and just because editors don't complain does not mean it doesn't bother them, or doesn't affect the way they read a story.

Some things fall into the area of "The writer should know this." Complaining doesn't help anyone, takes too much time, and is wasted effort.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The partial I subbed this weekend was requested in either Times or Arial - so it's all up to the agent. This one had a dislike for Courier and said as much, so always check, double check, then recheck the agent's requirements to see if they specify.

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever come across an agent in the W&A Yearbook, or online that specified which font they prefer.

So I always use 12pt Courier.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Editors seldom complain about anything. There isn't enough time in the day to do so. But not getting complaints does not make Times any easier to edit. Try inserting proofreaders' marks into a page of Times, then on a page of Courier, and see which gives you a headache.
This is true, but the problem is that most people are submitting to agents, not editors. Agents are looking for a book they can sell; they're not concerned at first reading with editing concerns. And many of them prefer TNR because they find it easier to read.

So, when you're seeking every possible edge to help your ms win out over hundreds of competitors, readability is a factor and it's tempting to go with the font that makes your ms read the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.