Asked to submit partial... and I don't want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I have been procrastinating about this for half the day. I sent an e-query to a good literary agency and received an e-mail asking that I upload the first 30 or so pages of my novel to a webpage. The problem is that I'm really reluctant to do so. I've done my best with the novel, and I try for gripping opening scenes, and it's been read and critiqued, etc. etc. But I'm afraid that if I submit the partial, I'll get an e-rejection, and then my last memory of the agency will be the e-negative instead of the e-positive. And then I will be e-sad.

/me sighs and buckles down to check the first 30 pages for the twentieth time before submission.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Just hit the send button and then go lay down for a while. If after twenty minutes you don't get an automated rejection then you're part of the way home. Good luck!

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Let it go, Queen of Swords. This is what you've been working for! :)

And you might just be e-thrilled when you get an e-request for a full, then you get a contract and a big sale. And then you'll feel e-silly for worrying!

Go for it! :D Fingers crossed!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be spraining both my wrists hitting the send button on the webpage.

I have been procrastinating about this for half the day. I sent an e-query to a good literary agency and received an e-mail asking that I upload the first 30 or so pages of my novel to a webpage. The problem is that I'm really reluctant to do so. I've done my best with the novel, and I try for gripping opening scenes, and it's been read and critiqued, etc. etc. But I'm afraid that if I submit the partial, I'll get an e-rejection, and then my last memory of the agency will be the e-negative instead of the e-positive. And then I will be e-sad.

/me sighs and buckles down to check the first 30 pages for the twentieth time before submission.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
How about this: If you don't send it, I'm coming after you with a pointy stick.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
The very first time I hit SEND my hands were grossly sweaty and my stomach hurt so bad I had to lie down afterward. And...it got rejected.

Yet here I am! Alive! Relatively happy! Hoping to eat ice cream this afternoon! No matter what happens, you'll be okay. Promise. ::makes you a cone::

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't submitting part of the reason you're writing? You're gonna get pied in the face before you learn to eat it and enjoy, so JF'ing DI already.

I'm sending out a partial request today myself - my only hesitation is in the double, triple and quadruple-checking all the details to make DANG sure I'm doing this exactly right, dotting all my T's, crossing all my I's and . . . oh, wait -- well anyway, Just Do It.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
The very first time I hit SEND my hands were grossly sweaty and my stomach hurt so bad I had to lie down afterward. And...it got rejected.

Yet here I am! Alive! Relatively happy! Hoping to eat ice cream this afternoon! No matter what happens, you'll be okay. Promise. ::makes you a cone::

Ditto. My first submission was an e-query and I got a form e-rejection less than 48 hours later. My first full request was rejected as well. In the end, the fear and anticipation was worse than the actual "no thanks." That sucked too, but not as much as I'd anticipated.

Now do it! :Hug2:I promise its survivable.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score

And you're not going to be sad if the book never gets published because you were too chicken to send out a partial?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Queen, stop being such a big e-baby.

Think of all the folks here who have never been asked for a partial. I'd bet they wish they could trade places with you...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
IFDI.

But it took me about an hour, poring over the first 35 pages... and I'm glad I did, because I spotted a typo in a character's name. Anyway, that's taken care of. So thanks for the e-support, guys. :) I would have sent the partial anyway (eventually), but it's good to have people cheering or spurring you on.

Getting query letters rejected doesn't sting as much as partials or worse, the full manuscript, being turned down. But you pick yourself up and keep going.

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score

Don't be that way, Queen of Swords. Let the agency decide whether or not they like it. A lot of us get afraid when we're about to take a big plunge, but if you don't, you'll never know whether or not that agency would have represented your work.

Like others have said, don't be afraid to click the 'send' button. And stop worrying.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Queen of Swords! We're all rooting for you. :Hug2:

IFDI.

But it took me about an hour, poring over the first 35 pages... and I'm glad I did, because I spotted a typo in a character's name. Anyway, that's taken care of. So thanks for the e-support, guys. :) I would have sent the partial anyway (eventually), but it's good to have people cheering or spurring you on.

Getting query letters rejected doesn't sting as much as partials or worse, the full manuscript, being turned down. But you pick yourself up and keep going.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I sent out an e-query last fall and received a rejection in about an hour - which must be some sort of record.

It stung - but you just go down the list. Don't let fear of rejection hold you back because then you'll never realize what you've been working towards - publication. Can't be published if you don't submit.

Now, take a deep breath, crack your knuckles, and hit send. Or else I'm also coming after you with a pointy stick. A really. Pointy. Stick.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Kristin gave me an answer on my partial really, really quickly, so at least you won't have to agonize for long! (Though she might take more time when the answer isn't a rejection).

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't even mention the agency's name but you guessed it.

/puts on an aluminium hat.

Uploading 30 pages is pretty distinctive. However, my satellite surveillence system helps, too. Muhahahahaha!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but I know how QOS feels. BBC guy loved my short. He said I should send him more stuff. But it's like I want to dance around with the 'he likes my work!' feeling, before the 'no, he doesn't' feeling cuts in for its waltz.

I think QOS has identified an interesting phase in the writer's emotional journey.

But, yeah, send the damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.