Why would you read a memoir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanclr

Assuming that you would, that is.

I have a memoir/biography book in the works, and I am trying to get my mind about it, to get a better hook before going too much further. (Tx Maia!)

Clearly, there are two divisions of memoirs: 'the famous person or event,' and 'everything else.' If the book is by or about someone or something famous, then there's no problem, ie., Leap of Faith by Queen Noor; Into Thin Air about Mt. Everest. But then you have something written by an unknown. Does this have a snowball's chance in hell of making it anywhere?

Or, to rephrase my question, what--as a reader or as a writer--would grab you to pick up and read a memoir by an unknown author? Is it all in the quality of writing? Or is there something else that separates the greats from the rest of the slush?

Stephenie Hovland

It would have to have some quality that rises above the everyday living. Maybe the person writing it has Down Syndrome, was raised by gorillas, had near-death experiences, etc. Or it could be the attitude of the book. Most people want to be inspired (or watch a train wreck). A simple, dull life with no point wouldn't do anything for me. I pretty much know how that works. ;)

Stephenie

veingloree

I agre. I have read book about people living in interesting times/places. The Cultrual revoltuion in China for example.

I think there is one other category -- people who write anecdotes from their life with great wit and charm. i.e. Quentin Crisp who only became quasi-famous after 'the Naked Civil Servant' was published.

Stephenie Hovland

I like your "other category," but haven't read any like that. I just don't normally read memoirs.

I have to totally agree with the historic times, as well. Anne Frank is a good example. It may have been an interesting book just because teens could relate to her feelings, but the situation of where they lived and the times they endured really MADE the book.

Stephenie

maestrowork

Interesting people, places and stories. Everyone has stories to tell about their lives, and if they're old well, I'd read it.

David Sedaris's "Me Talking Pretty One Day" is a wonderful memoir. Everyone knows about "Angela's Ashes." And there are many other well-written, fascinating memoirs that are every bit as good, or better, than fiction.

Arisa81

I especially love reading memoirs about other writers, famous or unknown. I love the insight to someone else's life, how they started writing, what they were like as a child.

The latest biography I read was Danielle Steel's, but I have to say it was disppointing b/c 1) It wasn't written by her and therefore 2) The information was all given by her numerous ex-husbands and I found a lot of the book to be about them. Hopefully one day she will write her memoir.

mammamaia

to find out...

go to amazon and b&n and type 'memoirs' into the search box, then opt to have the results ranked by popularity/sales or whatever shows 'best-selling' status... that'll give you a good idea of WHAT people BUY most, which should give you some idea of why they read same...

the ny times list of best-selling memoirs should be findable somewhere, also...

Arisa81

Re: to find out...

Well, autobiographies, biographies, and memoirs are about the life of someone.

I don't know the difference between a memoir and an autobiography, but I enjoy reading them. I like the insight into other people's worlds.

TimNJsoxfan

First of all, I'm one of those people who will read anything, by anyone, if the subject matter grabs my attention.
I don't necessarily read something because it's by a famous person.
That said, what interests people is as varied as the number of people out there, I would think.
Obviously, no one wants to read about Joan Person, who lives and works a day job, is married, divorced, single, whatever, and leads an ordinary life, with nothing out of the ordinary.
You get the idea, I'm sure.
But if you have something unusual and can tell it in an interesting way, I'm sure someone out there would want to read it.
However, getting the publishing world to "buy it" is another matter entirely.

Arisa81

I can read about ordinary people. I like reading about other people like me who might not be rich, famous, or have anything interesting about them besides that they are a writer. It's something about seeing how another writer lives and how they work and all that.

Of course that is a completely personal thing, but if Joan were to put out a memoir, say about her life as a writer, I would be thrilled to read it.

Joan I would say that if you want to write it, then go for it, whether you think it will sell or not. There are bound to be people out there who will enjoy it.

Joanclr

Thanks, everybody, for your interesting perspectives. Lest any hearts begin to fear--no worries, I am not planning a "day in the life of me" memoir :rollin ! The subject matter I am writing about concerns my mother's recent passing of a terminal disease, which was an event that in its entirety I found to be very rich and intricate. I have been doing a bit of research and trying to look up memoirs which have made the bestseller list without the aid of a notable "hook," such as the famous name or event.

There is "The Lobster Chronicles," although the author had a previous bestseller, so that got her foot in the door as far as the publishers are concerned. But beyond that, the writing was just really great, and somehow manages to make quite an interesting story about really not much of anything at all.

Then of course there is "Tuesdays with Morrie" which I didn't realize was a memoir, not having read it until recently. Once again, that had a publisher's hook, as there was a certain amount of nationwide publicity surrounding the professor in question, with TV interviews and such. But again, what grabs you in there from the first page onward and keeps you turning is just darn good writing.

So... one thing at a time. I guess we'll see how things go along as the project develops. If nothing else, it's been an experience for me working on it and bringing it together. This project at least won't ever be a waste, even if it doesn't go anywhere commercially :)

macalicious731

Joan,

Currently I'm involved in "Reading Lolita in Tehran." I'm sure you know of it, it's been on best-seller lists for a long time.

Anyway, the reason I picked it up in the first place was because I read Lolita in my english class. The memoir covers other authors and novels, most of which I've also already read. So, at any rate, it's interesting to get another female's opinion on the stories, but also to take in consideration she lives in another 'world' than I do. Her classes are secret and since the books she's teaching her students (also all female) are restricted, so she goes as far as to photocopy her books to be able to hand them out.

The premise is simple, but through the teacher's eyes you learn about her individual students and their culture, and how they might perceive all these western novels.

Joanclr

Re: Joan,

Interesting. I have that one on my list to check out as well - there are a number of "no name brand" memoirs that hit the bestseller list and I want to read through them bit by bit. It's interesting to analyze them and see what gave them sticking power despite the lack of an obvious hook.

I guess, when it comes down to it, a story is a story. If it's good, and if the writing is good, it will stand on its own and do its thing. And if it's not, well then I guess all the hook in the world couldn't save it to begin with.

Come to think of it, the main benefit of the 'hook' is probably just to get the attention of the editor/publisher. The readers generally tend to make up their own minds.

TimNJsoxfan

There are 2 TimNJsoxfan....cause i am him and i DID NOT write the above post.:shrug

reph

Tim, your ezboard profile shows that post in your list of recent posts. The number 2 at the left of your :shrug post shows that it's your second post at the Water Cooler. Weird.

biotales

Not to put a damper on the subject... but with books of this nature make sure you have a indepth marketing prop... a book such as yours would be interesting to write and might seem to have a large market but you will have to hand guide the agent or publishers to show them. You could write it not only as a memoir but as a how to survive such an event that is this life altering.
Biotales:snoopy
I wish you luck...
sorry for the miss spelling

Gala

Would and have.

Frank McCourt was an old, unknown school teacher when he wrote "Angelas Ashes." Yeah I know that was also a phenomenon. But he had no idea that would happen when he wrote the book.

Actually I found it too depressing and didn't finish it, but I read the sequel, " 'Tis" in one sitting.

I will read anything, fiction or non, memoir or whatever, if it's a good story.

I've read memoirs of writers such as Phillip Roth, Janet Frome and William Styron; of Holocaust survivors like Victor Frankl and one non-survivor--Anne Frank.

I don't recall titles because it was long ago, but I've read memoirs of a ballet dancer, a drug dealer in the Amazon, a hospital nurse, various recipients of suffering who escaped; Salvador Dali, and many others. Not all were world famous; some I came across as I was browsing.

Again, if I connect to the story or the person interests me, I'll read it. I am grateful for those who have shared their lives and ideas in memoirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.