reaearch -- scientific databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempo Kid

I'm thinking about writing a couple nonfiction books that would fall into the popular science academy. Is there a way of getting into scientific databases online? Yes, I could go to a university library and sit there all day, but that's not convenient, and I don't have a car. Is there any way to get into something like Medline or Dialog from my home computer.

Before I prepare a proposal, I have to know if the research material is out there. Then it would be convenient if I had the use of my own computer while I'm researching. (I don't have a laptop, either.)

macalicious731

You should be able to get into UMD's websources at www.lib.umd.edu . There's access to scientific journals, databases, etc, but I think it's designed with a more broad search in mind... haven't quite figured yet how to narrow it down.

publishorperish

Sometimes university libraries will offer cards (for a price) that will allow nonstudents to access their books and databases. So check with university libraries. Also, check with your alumni services office. Sometimes they have free access to their library databases for alumni.

Greenwolf103

Don't let not having a car be a problem for you. If you have e-mail, you can interview experts this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.