Bad scene

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you ever annoyed by a scene in an otherwise good film?

Just watching 'The Day After Tomorrow' (felt like a bit of spectacle today), and once more when it got to the bit where Emmy what's-her-face, Jake G's love interest, cuts her leg but then goes back to get the bag of the black non-English-speaking mother and child, I gritted my teeth, jolted out of a great action movie.

There's a wall of water coming at them, panic everywhere, and she goes back to get someone's bag, if you please, after helping to save her from the waterlogged taxi. There being nothing preventing the woman from going back for her own bloody bag, by the way, English not being required to reach into a car. And nothing preventing Emmy-Love-Interest from saying, 'I've just helped save your life, at risk to my own. I've got a bloody great gash in my leg. The world looks like it's coming to an end. Get moving or I'll drown you myself.'

It's such a sledgehammer way to show her 'character'. It's like the writers are saying, 'You WILL like her! You WILL! She's sweet and lovely and wonderful and you WILL LIKE HER!' Why not just have her saving a basketful of kittens and have done with it?

It reminds me of the Rasta-biker/cop in the trunk scene in the otherwise excellent 'Thelma and Louise'. Callie Khouri is showing us the cop is OK, and trying to lighten the situation, because otherwise we might not be so happy about what Thelma and Louise have just done, but what a shame she chose to use such a stereotype character, who seems so out of place in the film, to do it.

Anyone else feels like saying, 'Get out, you're spoiling my movie' to a certain scene?

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
First, about The Day After Tomorrow. Every damn time it comes on TV, I say to my husband, "That's right, they're trapped in a library for a week and nobody ever goes to the bathroom." It's a good thing there were hot men in that movie, that's all I'm saying.

As for a scene that comes to mind, I watched Copycat the other night with Holly Hunter and Sigourney Weaver. Just when you thought poor Sigourney was finally safe, the very last scene had Harry Connick Jr (also hot, but not in this movie) in his jail cell writing to another disciple ordering him to kill her, kill her, KILL HER. Okay, this guy caused a serial killer to murder a bunch of people, wreak havoc with the police force, and ruin the life of Sigourney's character...and the prison is STILL letting him mail letters out willy nilly?? ::suspension of disbelief snaps and plunges to its death::

AzBobby

Ought to be writing instead
Registered
Reaction score
This will sound trivial, but a shot with bad special effects, scenery or makeup in an otherwise flawless movie (or close enough to it) makes me say that.

I don't mean old films in which certain fake appearances are normal to the style, like the painted backdrops in Wizard of Oz. I mean like The African Queen, when after a gritty, realistic look and feel is set up with location shooting and natural looking studio settings, we watch the characters suddenly bounce around in blue-screen shots while their boat rides the rapids, with results that were poor even for special effects in the early 50s.

...or in the original Stagecoach when a saguaro cactus prominent in the background of a stage-set ranch looks like it was replicated from a George Herriman cartoon.

...or in Lifeboat when despite near-perfect scenes shot in a studio tank throughout the film, they had one nighttime scene with really fake, big round Christmas-light stars in the sky backdrop.

...or in Lawrence of Arabia when, despite all the dirty, realistic locations and action stunts, closeups reveal enough eye and face makeup to embarrass a silent film actor. Or when the pale blue sky is visible in those few obvious day-for-night shots.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Day After Tomorrow, I always found it improbable that everything froze, but the little vials of antibiotics or whatever they got from the ship to treat that sappy girl's leg, were still liquid.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Not good but I find it very entertaining. There is a definite difference between good and entertaining. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The ending of The Departed -- the last 15 minutes or so, right about the time Leo and Matt were on the roof. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Made me so mad it ruined the movie for me.

Crash. I wouldn't really call it a great movie and couldn't believe it upset Brokeback Mountain as Best Picture. But the first scene with Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton was so riveting that the second scene at the car crash was just over-the-top, melodramatically bad.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being a techno-weenie, one that sticks out in my mind is from the original Star Wars. (an author fixed this in a novel written years later, but at the time....)

Scene: in the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo is asked if the Falcon is fast, to which he replies:

"She made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Um, Han buddy? A parsec is a measure of distance, not time. That's like saying, "Is Carl Lewis fast?" and replying, "Yeah, he can do the olympic sprint in a hundred metres."

Wasn't there anyone involved with that movie who knew what a parsec was? Of course, the movie was so much fun that that little gaffe really didn't affect my enjoyment of it overall, but it was the one thing that bugged me about it.

To finish the story for those who care, in the subsequent novel I mentioned, the author came up with the idea that the Kessel Run involved navigating through a group of tightly packed stars, and only the fastest ships could take the shortest route through and not get pulled into one of the stars by gravitational forces. Very, very clever solution, imho.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Not good but I find it very entertaining. There is a definite difference between good and entertaining. :)

Oh, yes. Sometimes you just feel like popcorn as opposed to seared salmon with balsamic vinegar...but the popcorn still has to be fresh and flavourful. And you don't want burnt bits in it, thank you very much.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
The fight scene in the kitchen in The Bourne Supremacy. All that shaky handheld camera and too-close framing made me crazy. What's the point of a fight scene if you can't see a damn thing that's happening?

It's one of the few times that I have unequivocally blamed my dislike of a movie on the director. Bad director, bad!

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"

I hated the part right after, "A Tom Shadyac Film..."

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I thought that by-and-large, Spider-man 3 was good, but the scene with Peter Parker dancing down the street pretending he was all bad just grated on me.

In The Return of the King I can't stand the slide off the trunk after Legolas brings down the Oliphant/Mumak.

Neo flying off from the phone booth at the end of The Matrix (and everything that follows).

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I thought that by-and-large, Spider-man 3 was good, but the scene with Peter Parker dancing down the street pretending he was all bad just grated on me.

In The Return of the King I can't stand the slide off the trunk after Legolas brings down the Oliphant/Mumak.

Neo flying off from the phone booth at the end of The Matrix (and everything that follows).

But Legolas is an elf. He has to do elfin things, or else he's just...Orlando Bloom in a blond wig.

Actually, talking of Legolas, what's with the London accent that slips through sometimes? There's this one bit when he's vying with Gimli for the most badass killer title, and he says, 'Seven-TAYNE', like someone in an episode of 'The Bill'.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I can't stand the first 10 minutes of La Femme Nikita. The rest of the moive is fantastic, but first you have to sit through a badly lit, confusing and cheesy action scene that doesn't fit the rest of the moive. If I were the director, I would have started the movie with Nikita already in court, but I'm not.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know... I'm going to give this distinction to Arnold's thumbs up at the end of Terminator 2. It just felt so out of place, forced and melodramatic. Such a reach for poignancy. I just didn't feel it.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
The ending of The Departed -- the last 15 minutes or so, right about the time Leo and Matt were on the roof. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Made me so mad it ruined the movie for me.

Crash. I wouldn't really call it a great movie and couldn't believe it upset Brokeback Mountain as Best Picture. But the first scene with Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton was so riveting that the second scene at the car crash was just over-the-top, melodramatically bad.

Agree 100% with The Departed. I actually boo'ed when it won best picture.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
But Legolas is an elf. He has to do elfin things, or else he's just...Orlando Bloom in a blond wig.

Actually, talking of Legolas, what's with the London accent that slips through sometimes? There's this one bit when he's vying with Gimli for the most badass killer title, and he says, 'Seven-TAYNE', like someone in an episode of 'The Bill'.

Good elf trick: walking on snow while everyone else slogs through it.

Bad elf trick: foot-surfing down an elephant's trunk and giving a smug little head-cock at the end like, OMG I'm Orlando Bloom! Swoon all you teenage girls!

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Good elf trick: walking on snow while everyone else slogs through it.

Bad elf trick: foot-surfing down an elephant's trunk and giving a smug little head-cock at the end like, OMG I'm Orlando Bloom! Swoon all you teenage girls!
Oh...OK. Conceded. And a rep for making me chuckle.

pamelajo

Registered
Reaction score
All the scenes with "Danger" in Million Dollar Baby. They had nothing to do with the fim. It just felt like filler.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I actually enjoyed The Matrix right up until the scene where Trinity's kiss magically brought Neo back to life in the real world. Werst ... Scene ... Ever.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I know it's a crappy girl film throughout but there's still one scene in the first Bridget Jones that makes me cringe.
Bridget walks into the bog while Hugh Grant's secret shag is hiding. As she turns to run, the shag says:
"I thought you said she was thin."

It was like someone holding up a big sign saying YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE THIS WOMAN.

Horrible.

Feyd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.OminousCow.com
Drawing from an absolutely horrid movie, there's a scene in "Batman and Robin" (the 4th Batman movie, and the one that proved to the world that Joel Schumacher seems to just hate Batman)... it's the scene where they get the cure for Alfred's incurable, horribly progressive disease, and then you have George Clooney playing Mr. E.R. Doctor and putting the medicine into Al's IV drip. Even at the time I remember saying, "Oh, you've got to be kidding me..."

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
The fight scene in the kitchen in The Bourne Supremacy. All that shaky handheld camera and too-close framing made me crazy. What's the point of a fight scene if you can't see a damn thing that's happening?

It's one of the few times that I have unequivocally blamed my dislike of a movie on the director. Bad director, bad!

YES! And after the best fight scene EVER in the Bourne Identity, what a tragedy.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Concerning ''The Day After Tomorrow', what niggled at me was that while outside in Siberian-like conditions those kids kept grabbing metal surfaces with their bare hands, without, you know, losing all that skin as soon as they tried to pull away.