Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

Hi, Everyone,

I was thinking of asking this with some authors on my E-mail list but I think it might do well to ask here.

I am researching/putting together a book on book promotion (a certain aspect of it, anyway). I just realized that there is one part of book promotion that I should have in this book but I have no way of writing about it from personal experience because of my being deaf: Promoting your book on the radio. To omit this from my book would be pretty stupid (though those who know me to be deaf might forgive it), but I really can't write about it from my own experience.

Of course this book won't entirely be based on personal experience in promoting a book; I plan to talk with other authors, too, to get their insight.

But as far as radio promotion goes, I don't know. I was thinking I could devote one chapter for radio promotion to interviewing authors who have done this (and I know that Jenna has done this, as well), or I could ask one author in particular to write this chapter for my book. But, I don't know. Ultimately, I want to give readers as varied and thorough information on this subject as possible. I'm not really leaning too heavily on asking an author to write that chapter because that limits the depth and variety that I'm hoping for. This also makes me hesitant on the interviewing part; what if I don't ask the right questions, the right people, etc.

What would you do? I could really use some advice.

Take care. :)

--Dawn

ritinrider

Dawn, Just my opinion, but I think it would read better if you interview a couple of people who have promoted their books on radio and/or t.v. This way you can get more than one slant on the process. Plus, you'll probably be interviewing people who have used other promotional methods for the other chapters won't you? Good luck, sounds like a good idea for a book.

Nita

underthecity

You're in luck . . .

I am appearing this Saturday October 16 on WMKV FM in Cincinnati, 89.3FM after 1:00 EST. This is a smaller big band/nostalgia station of which I am a big fan (and periodic volunteer). I asked to be a guest on the afternoon show. The host's name is Annie Wagner, and she's live all afternoon. Her whole demeanor on air is "grandmotherly," and she plays a lot of great music, and interviews people; it's a great show.

Anyway, I'll be discussing my Cincinnati Subway book, taking listeners' calls, and promoting my upcoming Cincinnati on the Go book. I'll probably even give away a Cincinnati Subway book, too.

You can check out the station at WMKV, and even listen online! If you search for my name, you'll see a quick bio of me, and even a picture.

So if you have any questions about the experience, I can answer them after the 16th.

underthecity
The Cincinnati Subway

NomadPress

radio promotion

Hi Dawn,
Radio and tv promotion can be very effective for authors and publishers, although sometimes the benefits aren't directly evident through book sales. The fact that you haven't personally done radio or tv promotion for your own books doesn't mean it isn't an important component, and you'd want to interview other authors and publishers for their experience and expertise, anyway, right? So research the options, what has worked and what hasn't worked for both authors and publishers, and present the information you find. It'll be great!

Greenwolf103

Re: radio promotion

Thank you! :) But how would a publisher fit into the equation as far as promoting an author's book on radio goes? Would they just mention a book they published in a radio spot, or something? I didn't know publishers did this, too.

aka eraser

Many/most publishers have their own PR department. The PR people will set up radio spots for the pub's authors. So when contacting a publisher about the efficacy of radio spots or other types of promotion you'd be steered to the PR people.

Yeshanu

Hmm...

Just a question, Dawn. I know you can't hear, but you can speak. Have you ever thought of doing a radio or TV interview using a sign language interpreter? It might be very good for your own books, and using your experiences as an author with a disability might help others in similar situations.

Just a thought...

NomadPress

Hi Dawn,
Lots of publishers have in-house publicity departments--we do, and we are a small publisher. Some books lend themselves to radio promotion more than others. Booking radio interviews is time-consuming and we tend to focus on print and online reviews and articles, but almost all of our authors have done radio. For one of my books I had 40 radio interviews in the span of 2 weeks.

The great thing about radio is that if you have a great interview on one station, producers will talk to other producers and pretty quickly you can become a (briefly) hot commodity. It requires some flexibility--I spent lots of interviews running through the house, while my screaming kids raced after me.
Lauri

Greenwolf103

Thanks, Frank! :hug

Ruth, I didn't think about THAT!! Thanks for the pointer. I will check into that. I know an author who has worked the radio promo circuit and I told her about my situation. She suggested that a DJ or assistant, whatever, write down the questyions they plan to ask me first then ask them on the air like they are asking me and that way I know what they're saying. She also suggested a radio station tape an interview and I can send it on to other stations instead of them doing a live segment. It's something I can try, at least! It would be a good idea to explore it -- perhaps I can also pursue talking with non-disabled authors who do this, to get both sides? Hmm.

And, Lauri, thanks for your posting, too! :) That's very interesting. 40 radio spots in 2 weeks?? Yikes!! But flexibility is definitely something I'm getting to be good at. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.