PDA

View Full Version : Cellular regeneration anyone?

newmod
05-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Okay, really this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6661849.stm is about a cure for baldness, but at the end, this quote:

"The implications of this observation are many fold, but principally perhaps for what it tells us about the reprogramming power of adult stem cells, and it applications in regenerative medicine and wound healing."

Just thought it might be of interest to some of you.

small axe
05-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Discover mag had a recent article about making mammals regrow entire limbs. Most creatures can regenerate far more than mammals can, but they're learning how to tell cells "become an arm" etc ...

Because deep inside, cells know how to go from single cell to complete human. They just also convince themselves to forget.

benbradley
05-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Aww, what a dissapointment! I was hoping this would be about reviving dead cell phones.

newmod
05-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Aww, what a dissapointment! I was hoping this would be about reviving dead cell phones.

Ah, but that would be mobile regen for me.

Pthom
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Guys, we have the Science Fact subforum for these most interesting tidbits. I'm glad to move it up there for you, and I'll leave a redirect, but you might consider just posting these non-fiction goodies there in the first place.

:)

newmod
05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Oops, my fault, sorry.

small axe
05-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh, sure, you can try to "move" it ... but what if it starts to ... regenerate!? duhduh dummmmmm!