PDA

View Full Version : I'm fascinated: Amy Fisher

absolutewrite
07-31-2004, 12:05 PM
www.newsday.com/news/loca...ional-wire (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--amyfisher0729jul29,0,2507882.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire)

Amy Fisher is going with iUniverse? You're telling me no big publishers came a-knockin'?

I don't know how to feel.

On the one hand, ha! I feel good that she doesn't get to profit widely from her crime and notoriety, and that publishers didn't jump to profit off a scandal.

On the other hand, she may be 100% serious about turning her life around and wanting to teach parents about warning signs in their kids... and about donating part of the book's proceeds to various charities. Then I feel mean for saying "ha." Even though I have trouble believing anyone who attempts murder can turn into a fuzzy bunny.

On the third hand, she might have gotten plenty of offers and thought she could do better by POD-self-publishing.

How do you feel?

Gala
07-31-2004, 08:52 PM
I started a topic on same yesterday:

<a href="http://p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm32.showMessage?topicID=116.topic" target="_new">Amy Fisher</a>

jmhcreativesolutions
08-01-2004, 05:33 AM
:: ponders ::

I don't know how to feel either.

:: ponders ::

Nope, still don't know how to feel.

Jamesaritchie
08-01-2004, 09:11 AM
It's a played out story no one cares about. There's already been two movies and at least one book done on the subject, and it's the opinion of most or all publishing houses that it's simply a story no one wants to read. I wouldn't buy the book, would you?

Jamesaritchie
08-01-2004, 09:12 AM
It's a played out story no one cares about. Or that's the opinion of the big publishing houses. There's already been at least two movies and one book, and who cares? I wouldn;t buy her book, would you?

Greenwolf103
08-01-2004, 10:00 AM
James: Are you speaking in a cave? :lol

No, I wouldn't buy the book. I already have ONE Amy Fischer book (from the days I was a true crime fanatic) and that's fine for me, thanks.

absolutewrite
08-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't buy it, but I'd check it out of the library. And her byline definitely helped the newspaper that's using her as a columnist... they said their #s were way up and reader response was amazing. Mostly letters of support for her starting a new life.

lastr
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Not all of the iUniverse books are paid for by the author, a very few select books have traditional contracts with small advances, or contracts with no publication charge. Mostly their reprint titles (List of author's republishing with them (http://www.iuniverse.com/jahia/Jahia/pid/59) such as those here), but also a few other choice titles that iUniverse believes will be profitable.

iUniverse still does not provide much publicity for these books, but they have hired three people into a publicity/marketing department to increase their efforts. FYI, these people are available to be hired by the Editor's Choice authors for assistance in publicity.

tcnixon
08-23-2004, 07:23 AM
It's entirely possible that she thinks that the book can be more profitable for her (and those organizations she supports) if she uses a POD company. Just a little bit of research tells you that many, many writers never earn out their advance. Maybe she thinks that she can do better.

Tom Nixon

Jazzmine
10-16-2004, 07:46 AM
I saw one of her interviews where she said she wrote the book to help young people.
Maybe she wasn't trying to make a mint.
I thought the recent happenings of this was kind of interesting really.
I never was crazy about that whole incident, but I might check this recent book out of the library, as someone said.

JustinoIV
10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Go to www.amyfisher.com

She's has made the New York Times best seller list.

So her deal with IUniverse probably gave her a better deal on royalties.

Vanity Presses are usually a horrible idea, because even if the contracts give out high royalities, the books are never marketed.

Amy Fisher, on the other hand, has been on Oprah, has been interviewed by the New York Times, among other major outlets. So I'd say there is no reason to feel sorry for her, when she is apparently doing quite fine in terms of sales. Her book is only $11.16 on the web, and that's much cheaper than the average vanity press/pod book.