Just received my Authors Advance Copy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Hello,
I'm a recent defector from Writers.net. I used to post there, but have moved to this board.

I had my first book The Cincinnati Subway published by Arcadia last year, and as a regional title, it has done very well, selling over 3200 copies since it came out May, 2003. It's currently in its fourth printing.

I had the opportunity to put together a follow-up book, a pictorial history of mass transit in Cincinnati, called Cincinnati on the Go. It comes out October 25. I received my authors advance copy October 12, and am just thrilled by how nicely it turned out!

Please check it out:

<a href="http://www.allensedge.com/onthego.html" target="_new">Cincinnati on the Go</a>

Info on the subway book:

<a href="http://www.allensedge.com/cincinnatisubway.html" target="_new">Cincinnati Subway</a>

Info on the publisher:

<a href="http://www.arcadiapublishing.com" target="_new">arcadiapublishing</a>

I have also been writing articles for a radio trade magazine in the past few months, so that's been nice.

Here's hoping to meet some other nice writers!

as

Greenwolf103

CONGRATS!!! :snoopy

Here's hoping your book does well. :thumbs

RichMar

Hmmm

I'm retired from the NYC Subway system. I keep thinking about a book, but I'm a lazy bastard.

If I played with it it'd be fiction. Decisions, decisions.

I will check out your book.

Jazzmine

Arcadia Publishing

Congratulations, Underthecity.
I know several people who have written for this company.
The feedback was positive for the most part.
Just curious. Since they don't seem to put out any "calls" for historical topics on their website, did you approach them with your idea?
I know of a (small) town that is rich in history despite its size.
I was thinking of contacting this company, though I'm not sure who might be interested in this book outside of the townspeople and some history/educational buffs.
I might approach them anyway or research more options.
Any feedback/suggestions you can post here that might help shed some light on what to expect?
Thanks.

underthecity

Re: Arcadia Publishing

On Arcadia's website is a link for "Book Proposal" so while they might not have a statement on the page about seeking new projects, there is a button available for a proposal download page. But that's not how I found the publisher.

I wrote the book in 1998 and didn't find a publisher. We bought our house in 2000, and I put the book aside for the meantime. I had been visiting a website called "Forgotten Ohio" which featured abandoned buildings and things around central Ohio. The site's author had recently had his book published called "Forgotten Columbus" which he featured on his website. I thought his subject matter was similar to my book, so I contacted the publisher he had listed on his book page and told them about my manuscript. The editor wrote back and said they were interested, and requested the whole manuscript by email. Two weeks later he told me they accepted it and was sending a contract.

The publisher is usually interested in almost any location around the United States. Check out their online catalog to see the different things they publish. It's almost all local historical subjects from small communities to larger cities.

They are an easy publisher to deal with, and their end product is very nice. I've talked with quite a few people who really like Arcadia's books, so they do have a big following.

Funny that you asked your questions, since I was planning to post a FAQ about my books and association with Arcadia on my website.

underthecity

maestrowork

I didn't know you wrote the book! I had a copy, and had gone with a group to the subway...

Wow.

Anyway, it was a good book!

underthecity

Maestrowork,

Thanks for saying so; that really means a lot! Perhaps you can take another tour when Cincinnati Tomorrow starts giving tours again. Although the subway doesn't change much. . .

Thanks again!

underthecity

Jazzmine

Copyright releases

Dear Under the City,

Since these books are mostly pictures, I believe, I was just curious to know how hard/easy it was to get the pictures released to you to be published.
I'm assuming any people in the pictures, might be long gone by now.
Any light you or others can shed on this, would be appreciated.
Thanks.

underthecity

Re: Copyright releases

Jazzmine,
The majority of the pictures in my books came from private collections. Some others came from my local library, three illustrations came from a 1900 edition of our local newspaper. Almost all of the images in the books were taken by private individuals, so obtaining permission was pretty much as easy as asking for it.

As far as the collections went, the person who owned the collection had obtained the pictures through the course of his lifetime, and most (or all) would be considered "public domain."

In another case, the photos were taken by this man's father in the 1920s. Ergo, he owned the photos.

In the subway book, subway construction photos came from City Hall. I wrote a letter to the City Solicitor's office, who wrote back a permission letter.

That's pretty much it. I gave a copy to anyone who donated pictures (which only just a few), and these people are not only happy to donate pictures out of their collections, but are also happy to see their names in print.

I imagine that for some subjects, images are harder to find. Don't ever bother asking a newspaper to donate pictures out of their collections. If they don't own the picture (taken by outside photographer), they won't let you use it. The ones they do own they will charge a fortune for usage.

underthecity

underthecity

Status
Not open for further replies.