Short ebooks and special reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calbo15

Hi!

What is the best way to publish these?
Is .pdf files best? What app is best for converting onto pdf?

Thank you!

Greenwolf103

I've heard that PDF is the way to go. I'm not sure if it's true, but someone said that viruses can easily get into .exe files.

aka eraser

Well, you can start by Googling "ebook publisher." Then sift through the hits. You'll want to research all probables pretty carefully. It's a relatively-new field, chockful of inexperienced publishers, some who are only out for a quick buck, as well as those who are legit.

Check Amazon for ebook titles and make a note of the pubs. Contact other writers who've e-published and ask them about their experience.

Gotta do some homework.

Jyndral

Are you meaning to basically self-publish them?

If so, there are some software programs out there that will distill them to a .pdf format for you, but the best (in my opinion) is Adobe Acrobat.

Acrobat Reader is free, the full version of Adobe Acrobat is not. I don't remember how much it is right now, though.

When you open up Acrobat Distiller to convert files to a .pdf, it will ask you if you are doing an ebook or something else. I've only seen the dialog prompt box a couple times, so I don't remember exactly how it's worded.

Selenia692

pdf creation

If you're willing to play around with software a bit, there's a free macro for Open Office called Extended PDF that performs almost as well as Acrobat.

If you aren't technically inclined though, I'd warn against using it. I had a few problems with getting it to work properly, but it was the only free pdf creator that would give me bookmarks and clickable links and such.

I can point you towards the instructions for that if you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested :)

Calbo15

Thanks for the answers, i'll look into it.
But what is the best way to publish (read: sell) it? Its short (around 10 pages) so self-publishing is probably the only way, right?

Selenia692

Well it depends on the subject matter. You might come across a publisher or site that deals with your subject directly, so you may want to ask if they are interested in featuring it.

For my game strategy guides, I work with an ebook publisher. I could just as easily have went through channels specific to that game, such as fan sites and the like.

There is a great deal of self promotion involved with self publishing, but if you have a niche topic, you can easily focus your efforts to target your audience, especially through articles and forums and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.