Terrible TV and Movie Re-makes

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, just wanted to know what you thought are some of the worst re-makes ever. I´m thinking not just TV/Movies re-made decades later, but also original versions re-worked in a different country. Okay, here´s a list to get you started:

Alfie and Get Carter. The Michael Caine versions very good, the US re-makes not so good.

Dear John a pretty funny UK TV comedy, re-made for the US, terrible.

Well, that´s all I´m going to put for now, look forward to seeing yours.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Well, the Michael Caine butcherings you mentioned: Alfie, Get Carter, The Italian Job jump to mind.

And, of course Dawn of the Dead. As an action/adventure film it was just above indifferent, but it wasn't good enough to bear the name.

The remake of Day of the Dead isn't out here yet, but I'd be willing to put money on it not being up to par.

Oh, and assault on precinct 13

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
... and The Italian Job jump to mind.

Ooph, how did I manage to forget that one!

I don´t have much hope for the forthcoming re-make of The Long Good Friday either.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Nearly all of them. I hate remakes.
House of Wax (remake in name only)
Starsky and Hutch (didn't anyone ever actually watch an episode?)
Lost in Space (again, didn't anyone ever actually watch an episode?)
Dragnet! (again...)
Wild, Wild West (am I repeating myself?)
Night Stalker (such a great original series, such a disappointing series remake)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
'Stepford Wives'! How dare they! And to turn it into some lame-arsed comedy cos they were too feeble to live up to the satire of the original...'Black Christmas'. 'Wicker Man'.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Dune. The movie was laughable, the SciFi Channel remake was a waste of time.

Some books shouldn't be filmed, and I think Dune is one of them.

And from the buzz I'm hearing, they shouldn't have bothered trying The Dark Is Rising, either. Ian MacShane as Merriman? The Stantons are now American? There are many other details that indicate its impending awfulness, but I won't drive you all nuts listing them. Just stay home and read the book when it comes out. You'll be happier.

Edit: Sorry. The Dark Is Rising isn't a remake. I just got on a roll...

Ardellis

tortures make-believe people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
witchingwell.com
I second the Night Stalker remake. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I just couldn't.

Also:
The remake of Dark Shadows.
The American version of Coupling.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Ben-Hur -- Mr. Heston starred in a cartoon version of this piece that was just horrible a few years ago. This was nowhere near as well-made or well-acted as the MGM film of 1959.

Planet of the Apes -- Loved the original; hated the re-make. I thought the filmmakers went a little overboard with some of the effects on the new one.

The War of the Worlds -- The 1953 movie was okay, but did they have to make a TV series based upon it? (1987 to 198?)The machines that made the movie appeared in the TV series once in the show's several years of production. The acting was decent, but the show had nowhere near the effect on me that the movie did ... and the TV series' premise was, IMHO, downright stupid.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
They're making a movie of The Dark Is Rising? And making it American?

*dies a little inside*

When will Hollywood stop raping my childhood?

Oh darlin', it's going to be terrible. I was excited when I heard Christopher Eccleston was playing the Black Rider, but then all the other details started coming out... In the book, Merriman is described as tall and gaunt with white hair, but they've cast Ian MacShane, who's short and dark. Will's older sister, Gwen, is now nine years old. His brother, Max, is now Will's closest sibling (if you recall from the story, Max did very little except stay in his room writing letters to his art-school girlfriend.) The Stantons are American, and the parents have been changed into cold, standoffish types more involved with their jobs than their kids.

It's all too much for me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bewitched
I watched the remake only because I'm such a die hard fan of the original and I needed the justification for my ranting and railing against the remake.

Dune. The movie was laughable, the SciFi Channel remake was a waste of time.

Some books shouldn't be filmed, and I think Dune is one of them.
I thought the Sci-Fi Channel version was a lot better than David Lynch's. They were able to devote more time to many of the themes because it was a miniseries.

Double ditto over the US version of Coupling.

And who's up for a little Underdog remake action? I've seen the trailer and it looks to be a gag fest. Not "ha-ha-yuk-yuk" gags, but "I'm choking to death! ack!" gags:
  1. He's sarcastic.
  2. He's snarky.
  3. HE. DOESN'T. RHYME. IN. THE TRAILER.
So when can we expect a remake of My Mother, The Car?

Kiester

I love lamp.
Registered
Reaction score
I hated the remake of The Italian Job.....it was totally pathetic.

It relied more on the action sequences that it does on the cool, funny parts.