PDA

View Full Version : Unsung movies you'd recommend

blacbird
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Given the various threads about movies, it has occurred to me to start one about movies you've seen that maybe weren't big hits, or are kind of forgotten, but are worth a look.

I'll throw out a quick list:

The Minus Man, Owen Wilson in a role you might not expect, along with Brian Cox, Dennis Haysbert, Dwight Yoakam, Sheryl Crow.
Salton Sea, Val Kilmer, Vincent d'Onofrio. Delightfully nasty noir thriller.
Posse, early 1960s Western with Kirk Douglas, in a role you might not expect.
The Wrong Box, mid 1960s comedy, Michael Caine, Ralph Richardson, Dudley Moore, Peter Cooke, cameo by Peter Sellers. Simply one of the funniest films I've ever seen.
Blood Simple, early Coen Bros. flick, as good as anything they've done.
There Was a Crooked Man, another fine non-shoot'em-up Western with Kirk Douglas, and Henry Fonda.
Matewan, maybe the first starring role for the excellent and underrated Chris Cooper.

I'll probably think up more nominees by morning. Yours?

caw

SpookyWriter
05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
That's a pretty good list. I must admit though I haven't seen a few of them more recent one. I do like the Posse with Kirk Douglas. I didn't like the remake though.

poetinahat
05-18-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't see that many films, and I don't discuss film that often, so this one might not be unsung at all. Still,

Down By Law -- a Jim Jarmusz flick, starring Tom Waits, John Lurie (from Stranger than Paradise), and Roberto Benigni. Black-and-white, based in New Orleans. A tale of outcasts. Kind of unsettling in its deliberate pace.

SpookyWriter
05-18-2007, 09:08 AM
This is an interesting thread because I have a movie in mind from the late fifties or early sixties that I can't remember the title. The movie was about a group of people who got stranded on an island with a pack of vicious dogs. Something along those lines. The movie always freaked me out. I just wish I could remember the title.

Anyone know which movie I'm talking about?

Bmwhtly
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
An unsung british film that deserves a look. Or two. Or three:
Croupier An early Clive Owen film with a more intelligent script than was prevalent at the time.

There was another one on the tip of my fingers, but I forgot. I think it was probably SunsetI was thinking of.

aadams73
05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Siesta, with Ellen Barkin, Gabriel Byrne and Julian Sands.

seun
05-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Coupe de Ville. I've been waiting for a DVD release for years. :rant:

Bmwhtly
05-18-2007, 04:39 PM
The Spy who came in from the cold Has aged remarkably well and shows Richard Burton at his world-weary best.

newmod
05-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Good idea for a thread.

Here are a couple:
Restless Natives an independent Scottish comedy and Once Were Warriors a New Zealand film. Both very good.

Perks
05-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Til Human Voices Wake Us with Guy Pearce and Helena Bonham-Carter.

And you're right - The Minus Man was a terrific film.

newmod
05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Ah, I´ve just seen that there will be a US remake of a very good British gangster film from the 1980s The Long Good Friday. Let´s hope it´s a better job than Stallone´s Get Carter and Jude Law´s Alfie, both origianlly with Michael Caine and both very good, the remakes, well ...

C.bronco
05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
The In-Laws (original w/ Alan Arkin and Peter Falk) "Serpentine, Shel, Serpentine!"
Cabin Boy (Chris Elliot. So bad, it's good!)
Chronicles of Riddick -the reviews weren't great, so I wasn't expecting much, but really it was Not Bad!
The Edge (w/ Anthony Hopkins. No one mentions this one, but it was excellent).
Passed Away (Bob Hoskins, Tim Curry, Funny!)

C.bronco
05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
This is an interesting thread because I have a movie in mind from the late fifties or early sixties that I can't remember the title. The movie was about a group of people who got stranded on an island with a pack of vicious dogs. Something along those lines. The movie always freaked me out. I just wish I could remember the title.

Was it Devil Dog, Hound from Hell ? I remember watching that with my mom one Saturday afternoon and laughing our butts off.

ChaosTitan
05-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Mindhunters. FBI Profiler wannabes trapped on an island with a serial killer. Decent recognizable cast, nice twists at the end.

Prototype. TV movie from the 80's that is available on DVD. Retelling of the Frankenstein story, starring a very young David Morse.

Return to Me. Sweet, sentimental love story, directed by Bonnie Hunt. It's worth it just for the hysterical James Belushi.

Life as a House. Kevin Kline at his best. Proof that Hayden Christensen really can act. Rebuilding a father-son relationship, with the necessary sappy ending.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Now this is a thread to print out and take with you on your next trip to the video store. :)

Big Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/) -- Stanley Tucci, Tony Shaloub, Minnie Driver, Isabella Rosselini. A wonderful story of two brothers willing to risk it all to make their restaurant a success.

A Slight Case of Murder (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206305/) -- William H. Macy, Felicity Huffman, Adam Arkin, James Cromwell. Macy is hysterically funny as a film critic who ends up on the wrong side of the law.

PS -- C.Bronco: The Edge was filmed around where I live. There's one shot of Hopkins and Baldwin supposedly way out in the wilderness that's less than a mile from my house. Just below the bottom of the frame, if they had panned down you'd see the rooftops of a row of condominium townhouses.

WackAMole
05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Life as a House was a really great movie

A Home of Our Own - Kathy Bates - This woman can just about pull off anything!

Oh yeah...a subtitled swedish movie called Mas Javlar - this is one of my favs and you can get it on netflix if u dont mind subtitles.

III
05-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I thought Smoke Signals was a very moving film that seemed to sneak under the radar. I'd say it's a must for anyone who's dealt with an estranged father.

Inky
05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
ooooh, I'm always finding accidentals, but this one was my husband's. I kept looking from him, to the cover, and back to him.
Well...no pun intended, but he got the last laugh.
Death To Smoochy. OMG. I was in so much pain, I had to take 800mg motrin for the laugh-migrain!

MOTHER:
Director : Albert Brooks (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/albert%20brooks)
Producer : Scott Rudin (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/scott%20rudin),Herb Nanas (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/herb%20nanas)
Screenwiter : Albert Brooks (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/albert%20brooks),Monica Johnson (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/monica%20johnson)
Starring : Albert Brooks (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/albert%20brooks),Debbie Reynolds (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/debbie%20reynolds),Rob Morrow (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/artistnames/rob%20morrow)
Debbie Reynolds is hysterically funny in this movie!

And an old one that I appreciated, even though a young teen at the time:
CHAPTER TWO by Neil Simon
(I know, Neil Simon, so at the time, it probably got much hype, but it's been forgotten in today's fast action--grab me quick movies...and this one's about a writer....)

Fierce Creatures.
I know I'm going to be back with more...

Calla Lily
05-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Was it The Killer Shrews? (Dogs in costumes.) Nicely MST3K'd. I have that version.

CheshireCat
05-18-2007, 10:35 PM
I loved There Was a Crooked Man.

If you like music, a really interesting little gem is Grace of My Heart. Set during the 60s and 70s, it focuses on one "girl singer/songwriter" and her experiences, especially being part of the wildly creative music scene of the Brill Building. Though group and individual artist names have been "fictionalized," it's easy to match those with the real life artists.

newmod
05-19-2007, 02:32 AM
[quote=WackAMole;1342513]Kathy Bates - This woman can just about pull off anything!quote]

She´s not bloody pulling me off, I tell yer that for nuthin

AzBobby
05-19-2007, 04:01 AM
What a great thread. I wonder how many I'll remember of these titles I've never heard of, next time I'm at Blockbuster.

I showed my kids the 1942 version of Jungle Book the other day. I was reminded that it's superior to most old fantasy films, even though most people seem not to know it exists. IMO it beats Thief of Baghdad, to name an example that (for having its star and filmmakers in common) is often mentioned in the same paragraph. Most DVD prints are cruddy, almost black and white in places. It was a technicolor production that would look as cool as Wizard of Oz if anyone invested in a good restoration of it. Even seen through the filter of lousy prints, you can tell the photography and settings were awesome; it still looks spectacular.

If you can play region 2 DVDs (unlike me and most of USA), I understand the Network release of this film is actually from a good looking, colorful print. Mine is one of the more common cruddy ones, of which there are many because the film is in the public domain. You can even watch the whole thing on the Internet, somewhere.

Aside from its artistic merits, it stands out as one of the very rare color epics of the 40s with a non-white star. Sabu is such a natural that my kids commented on how good he was several times, as he certainly stood out from the various white actors playing Asians as was normal at the time. Most actors are only so convincing with that Ten Commandments-style dialogue that used to fill the old fantasy films, yet that kid made every one of his lines sound for real.

zahra
05-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Agreed on 'The Edge'.
Also 'Let Him Have It' - British film with young Christopher Eccleston
'The Taking of Pelham 123'
I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-19-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm with y'all on 'The Edge'. Awesome film. Hopkins excellent as always.

AzBobby
05-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Here are few more overlooked goodies I can think of...

The Iron Giant - not marketed well, it bombed and disappeared from theaters very fast. Its director, Brad Bird, got more fame from The Incredibles so this one has been re-released. It's a great family flick.

Twin Falls Idaho - this is the sad, serious art-house piece that Stuck on You (made a couple years later) was not. It was written and directed by Mark and Michael Polish, who play the conjoined twins in the story flawlessly.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - this is one of those few films that belong on the same shelf as Rocky Horror Picture Show. Not for the kids, but probably the cleverest and funniest rock musical I've ever seen. Another art-house indy that isn't well known only because it never got ten words of marketing.

maestrowork
05-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Closer -- the twisted relationships these people have; plus tour de force performances by Natalie Portman and Clive Owen.

Friday Night Lights -- one of the best sports films in recent years; good for both guys and gals.

Premonition -- those who don't get the movie can't understand it and, thus, hate it; but once you do, it's kind of neat with an interesting theme.

The Painted Veil - an old-fashioned love story harking back to Hollywood good old days with great performances by Naomi Watts (looking great) and Edward Norton. If you like layered dramas with a gorgeous cinematography and beautiful soundtrack, this film is for you.

Anonymisty
05-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Layer Cake - Daniel Craig pre-Bond plays XXX, a coke dealer on the verge of retiring. Black humor at its finest.
Gallipoli - One of Mel Gibson's earliest movies, and probably the most heartbreaking movie I've ever seen.
Dead Man - Jim Jarmusch directing Johnny Depp. Weird as hell!

I almost forgot! The Last Wave - Peter Weir directed this story of a Sydney lawyer trying to defend an Aboriginal man accused of murder while signs begin pointing toward Armageddon.

ShapeSphere
05-19-2007, 05:35 AM
I'd agree with the recommendations of Restless Natives, Let Him Have It, The Taking of Pelham 123 and Gallipoli.

Glengarry Glen Ross - Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Alan Arkin. Lots of dialogue and strong performances.

House of Games - another David Mamet film (as above). Tale of conmen and psychology.

Yojimbo - (The Bodyguard). Japanese film and the one "A Fistful of Dollars" completely copied and ripped off. This b/w one is far better and some good humour as well.

Little Voice - British tale with Michael Caine and Jane Horrocks - who has an amazing talent for singing.

Jacob's Ladder - Tim Robbins in this interesting tale. I'll say no more.

Fort Apache: The Bronx - Paul Newman as an NY cop. He's brilliant as usual.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Don Juan De Marco, with Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando! Wonderful romantic comedy/drama.

zahra
05-19-2007, 08:43 PM
'House of Games' - agreed, how could I forget? And other David Mamets - 'Oleanna' and, my favourite, 'The Spanish Prisoner'. Also a horror film called 'The Night of the Demon', based on MR James's 'Casting the Runes'. Great film. 'Went The day Well?' a British war-time film.

maestrowork
05-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Final Cut with Robin Williams. Apart from the weak ending, it's actually a very entertaining, thought-provoking film with an interesting premise. It never got the attention and distribution it deserved.

pamelajo
05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Freeway with Reese Witherspoon and Kiefer Sutherland. Reese plays a white trash Little Red Riding Hood and Kiefer is a serial killer. It's hilarious and I think it's her best acting performance yet.

Dogfight with River Phoenix and Lili Taylor. A wonderful film about looks, finding love, and the devastation of war.

ChaosTitan
05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
The Man in the Moon - Reese Witherspoon's first movie about young love.

Unknown - Psychological drama (in the vein of The Usual Suspects, but without Kevin Spacey), about five men who wake up in a warehouse and don't know how they got there or who they are. It's a Blockbuster Exclusive release, so don't look for it on Netflix.

Slither - A movie about alien slugs that is refreshingly stupid, and doesn't take itself seriously. Roger Corman-on-crack, starring Nathan Fillion (and no one does "Huh?" reaction shots quite like Nathan).

eric11210
05-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Hmm. Well I'm not sure either of these is "unsung," but certainly I haven't seen much about either one:

My Fellow Americans with Jack Lemmon and James Garner. Very, very funny movie about ex-presidents. Starts out a bit confusing, but get through the first ten minutes and it's hilarious.

Torchsong Trilogy with Harvey Firestein and Anne Bancroft. I honest believe this film deserved an oscar. Anne Bancroft especially was superb as Arnold's mother. It also have a very young Mathew Broderick playing Harvey Firestein's lover. I've seen it about thirty times and it never gets old for me. One of my all time favorites.

Eric

ShapeSphere
05-21-2007, 05:35 AM
The comments about Slither reminded me of the first one here:

Tremors - light SF/action adventure with Kevin Bacon.

The Public Eye - Joe Pesci in restrained mode as Leon Bernstein, a 1940s crime photographer.

Rita, Sue and Bob Too - a very British film set in Yorkshire about real people and real lives. Hilarious in places.

Perks
05-21-2007, 05:42 AM
All this talk of Anthony Hopkins made me think of The World's Fastest Indian. This movie is absolutely fantastic.

And whoever said Layer Cake is right on the money. It's the best drug-trade film I've ever seen.

Storyteller5
05-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Life as a House
Eternal Beloved
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sliding Doors

Bmwhtly
05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Oh, and how could I forget Still Crazy Bill Nighy (Of Davey Jones fame) heads up a 70's rock band reforming for a reunion gig. Kinda like Spinal Tap but with good music and better jokes.

poetinahat
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Big Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/) -- Stanley Tucci, Tony Shaloub, Minnie Driver, Isabella Rosselini. A wonderful story of two brothers willing to risk it all to make their restaurant a success.

YES. YES. YES. FANTASTIC film.

Also:

Immortal Beloved -- Gary Oldman as Beethoven

Prick Up Your Ears -- Gary Oldman as Joe Orton

Bread and Tulips -- Italian film of a housewife who gets left behind by a holiday bus, and her adventures in a new life.

xhouseboy
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
The Duellists - Harvey Kietel and Keith Carradine.

Based upon a true story of two soldiers in the French Army during the Napoleonic wars. One of my favourites of all time.

Kietel plays an absolute nutcase who spends his military career looking for different ways to call Carradine out on a duel after a perceived slight when Carradine was sent to order him out of a whore house and back to barracks.

As Carradine moved up the ranks, Kietel could no longer challenge him until he was also promoted to similar rank, and instead of focusing on the war Kietel was consumed by some obscure notion of revenge that only existed in his own mind.

Great performances. Great story. Great ending.

ETA: As the years went by, Kietel couldn't even remember the cause of this feud, and would make up more and more outlandish reasons to justify his actions.

zahra
05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Torch Song Trilogy is indeed a fine movie. Thought of two more: 'One False Move' and 'Lone Star'. The former is a really beautiful crime movie about hubris and inevitability - it's a Greek tragedy set in our times. I remember feeling really chilled and excited watching it, so afraid of what the conclusion was going to be. And it has a great villain, Pluto, who kills with such an air of normality and coldness, but not a hokey 'Bond-villain' type of coldness, rather a real absence of humanity.

'Lone Star' has the same kind of feel of lives intertwined and inevitability, and such a brave ending.

Check 'em out, people.

Calla Lily
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Also a horror film called 'The Night of the Demon', based on MR James's 'Casting the Runes'. Great film.

Hurrah, someone else has seen that!

Did you see Ghost Rider with Nicolas Cage? (2 hours of mind-popcorn with some great special effects.) When Cage's caracter is sitting in his trailer surfing the Tube, one of the channels is showing the demon from Night of the Demon. Of course my kids went "huh?" when I mentioned it later.

Sai
05-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Kontroll- The best film ever to come out of Hungary (well, not that I know of any others). It's about a subway ticket taker in the Budapest subway. There's action, humour, romance, and an awesome Euro-beat soundtrack. I ordered my copy today and I can't wait to show it to all my friends.

maestrowork
05-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Lives of Others -- which won this year's Best Foreign Film at the Oscars. Wonderful film. Definitely deserves the win (even though I also liked Pan's Labyrinth).

pconsidine
05-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm actually pleased to say that I've seen many of the movies listed. Smoke Signals is on my Top Ten list (I highly recommend buying the published screenplay. It's got a scene-by-scene commentary in the back that describes what happened from script to screen. Better than any DVD commentary I've ever heard.)

I'm not sure I have any of my own to contribute, though. I'm never too sure how well a movie is known. As far as Jarmusch films, I always liked Night on Earth, though it's been so long since I've seen it, I can't tell you why.

Actually, here's one for ya -

Cry Havoc - a WWII short film that my friend Adam did in college. It's shot in B&W and tells the story of an American sniper and a German soldier towards the end of the war.

Not like you'll ever see it unless you know Adam, but I'll stump for it anyway. :)

Writer14
05-22-2007, 02:33 AM
The only movie that came to mind when i saw this thread, was Running Scared with paul walker. =/ lol I loved that movie for some reason...lol

triceretops
05-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Door to Door

Tri

Serenity
05-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Undercover Blues with Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner. Not an award winner, but it was funny. Great all around cast.

The Professional with Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a very young Natalie Portman (her first role I think?). Just loved it.

Coyote Ugly. It was just fun, and I love "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". :D

Henry V, the Kenneth Branagh version. After his rendition of the St. Crispian's Day speech, hell, *I* would have followed him into battle.

The Last Unicorn. I saw this when I was young and still love it to this day.

zahra
05-22-2007, 03:13 AM
Hurrah, someone else has seen that!

Did you see Ghost Rider with Nicolas Cage? (2 hours of mind-popcorn with some great special effects.) When Cage's caracter is sitting in his trailer surfing the Tube, one of the channels is showing the demon from Night of the Demon. Of course my kids went "huh?" when I mentioned it later.
No, I tend to avoid movies with Nic Cage in them. I don't know why I hate him so much. I just do. Hey, a new thread. Popular stars you want to slap.

Novelust
05-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Wilby Wonderful. Sweet and sentimental.

Tiger
05-22-2007, 03:48 AM
I always liked "Running Scared"--the one with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. Also, did "Midnight Run" do well at the box office? I don't remember.

pconsidine
05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Midnight Run was a pretty big hit the year it came out. I just wish I would stop confusing it with Midnight Express.

Veeeeeery different movies.

My-Immortal
05-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Bulletproof Heart with Anthony LaPaglia, Mimi Rogers, Peter Boyle, Matt Craven

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan

The Way of the Gun with Ryan Phillippe, Benicio del Toro, James Caan, Juliette Lewis, Taye Diggs.

maestrowork
05-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I :heart: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

My-Immortal
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM

That was an awesome movie. I loved the dialogue...the characters...
lol

Writer2011
05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I can't begin to list the number of films i've seen over the years that weren't box office successes but nonetheless good to me...

Eddie Macon's Run with John Schneider--very good flick about a man on the run from the law.

Eddie And The Cruisers an excellent "small" movie with Tom Berrenger and Michael Pare--has lots of meaning and awesome soundtrack.

Damnation Alley--a late 70's flick with Jan Michael Vincent and Jackie Earl Haley--good flick too :)

Capricorn One--good yarn about astronauts forced to lie about landing on the moon--won't give away too much if no one has seen it... but it's a very good movie.

Writer2011
05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
The Man in the Moon - Reese Witherspoon's first movie about young love.

Unknown - Psychological drama (in the vein of The Usual Suspects, but without Kevin Spacey), about five men who wake up in a warehouse and don't know how they got there or who they are. It's a Blockbuster Exclusive release, so don't look for it on Netflix.

Slither - A movie about alien slugs that is refreshingly stupid, and doesn't take itself seriously. Roger Corman-on-crack, starring Nathan Fillion (and no one does "Huh?" reaction shots quite like Nathan).
Don't know much about the latter two but Slither was a really good movie.. :)

Alvah
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Given the various threads about movies, it has occurred to me to start one about movies you've seen that maybe weren't big hits, or are kind of forgotten, but are worth a look.
.................................................. .............................

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter....an uplifting but sad movie about a deaf man who befriends others and helps them, but no one befriends him.

Small Change (Argent de Poche)...a French movie about school children

The Red Balloon......It's astonishing how expressive a balloon can be!

Calla Lily
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
No, I tend to avoid movies with Nic Cage in them. I don't know why I hate him so much. I just do. Hey, a new thread. Popular stars you want to slap.

I'll join you in the anti-Cage lobby. My kids wanted to see Ghost Rider. In the annals of self-sacrificing things moms do, it was a heckuva lot better than anything Barney. I rejoiced the day they outgrew the giant purple minion of Hell.

Which reminds me--I completely agree with Death to Smoochy as a wild movie. The...um..."rocket-ship" cookie coming out of the bag scene is worth the rental price alone!

aka eraser
05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Some great stuff in this thread. I just wish my memory was better. Oh well, off the top of my head:

Paris, Texas - Not for them as likes fast-paced flicks. It's as slow as a trickle of sweat on a cloudless August day. But it's a writer's movie with a terrific cast.

The Big Lebowski - My favourite Coen brothers movie, perhaps not "unsung" enough for this list.

Dark City - A brilliant, moody, mindf*cking film that pays homage to Fritz Lang's Metropolis in its looks and feel.

Chocolat - I know it got some attention but not sure how much outside of the art houses and big city cinemas. It's very sweet (what else?) in that satisfying, warm, human-interest kind of a way. And I could look at Juliette Binoche for days.

maestrowork
05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Frank, I thoroughly enjoyed Dark City and didn't know why it didn't catch on. Chocolat was cute, but I preferred Like Water For Chocolate.

zahra
05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Paris, Texas - You know, this is a brilliant movie which I could never sit through again.

We used to get a channel in the UK called Carlton Cinema, and it was peerless for gems of films, usually B&W, that you'd never heard of.

The Honeymoon Killers, The Killing, Killer's Kiss, I Am A Fugitive from a Chain Gang, Shock Corridor...I was not happy when it was pulled.

It was lucky I videoed like a crazy person while I had the chance.

TheGaffer
05-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Nice idea blackie.

I've always been a big fan of City of Hope, John Sayles' pic before he did Lone Star, which gained him a bit more notoriety. He was also the guy who did Limbo, which was an underrated flick too.

My favorite movie from last year was Half Nelson, but since Ryan Gosling got an Oscar nomination, it's hard to call that an unsung movie.

Breakfast on Pluto with Cillian Murphy was a terrific little movie from a couple of years ago.

Whenever I do lists like this (and if I get into foreign films you go down a rabbit hole, since everyone's knowledge is limited in some way), I have to mention The Circle, an Iranian movie that's one of the best I've ever seen.

There's a movie just coming out now that I caught last year at the Montreal Film Festival called Away from Her, with Julie Christie, directed by the actress Sarah Polley (best known for Dawn of the Dead and The Sweet Hereafter). It's real good. Real real good.

A movie called Heights, with Glenn Close and Elizabeth Banks (the smokin' hot sex-starved woman in 40-Year Old Virgin). Good stuff.

An oddball pic with Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ozzie Davis as JFK (seriously) called Bubba Ho-Tep.

The Parallax View, one of the real great paranoia thrillers from that mid-70s Nixon-era.

And I don't know if Jeremiah Johnson counts as unsung, but it rules.

And props to everyone who mentioned The Taking of Pelham One Two Three -- the 1970s were the only time period in which you could credibly make a thriller and cast Walter Matthau as your tough-guy hero. These days? They'd cast Colin Farrell or some such nonsense.

mkcbunny
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Several good picks. I have to add my 2 cents on Layer Cake and Final Cut as unknown movies that are worth seeing. And Hedwig ... I definitely wore out that soundtrack. Just fabulous, if not for all tastes.

My favorite sleeper is Over the Edge, Matt Dillon's first movie, among other things. Teen-alienation drama about kids living in a planned community. Excellent time capsule of the era [1979].

Other things that come to mind:
Lantana - incredible Aussie drama starring Anthony LaPaglia
Igby Goes Down - Coming of age drama w/ dark, dysfunctional NY angle
City of God - Teen survives brutal streets of Rio via photography; incredible
Bloody Sunday - Dramatization of events leading to tragic deaths at 1972 Irish civil rights protest
The Vertical Ray of the Sun - Incredibly gorgeous film about Vietnamese village family
The Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum as scripture-quoting killer

I feel like I should recommend a comedy now. LOL.

TsukiRyoko
05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
My Dinner with Andre. Very strange, yet pretty cool, movie.

mkcbunny
05-23-2007, 08:42 AM
And props to everyone who mentioned The Taking of Pelham One Two Three -- the 1970s were the only time period in which you could credibly make a thriller and cast Walter Matthau as your tough-guy hero. These days? They'd cast Colin Farrell or some such nonsense.
Agreed. Speaking of Colin and sleepers, Tigerland is an excellent film. The people who saw it gave it great reviews, but so few people saw it. It's basically Hair without music or hippies, more grit. But essentially the same kind of charismatic character and story arc. You can see Colin's appeal in a way that he's never equalled since.

TheGaffer
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Tigerland, indeed, wasn't bad. And consider that Joel Schumacher directed it, it's even more stunning it wasn't a disaster.

maestrowork
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
My Life as a Dog. I adore that little movie.

Rainy Night
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
The Quiet Earth (http://imdb.com/title/tt0089869/) and Until the End of The World (http://imdb.com/title/tt0101458/)

I couldn't give you any good reasons, they're just favorites.

Tiger
05-23-2007, 10:48 PM
IDamnation Alley--a late 70's flick with Jan Michael Vincent and Jackie Earl Haley--good flick too :)

Talk about taking creative license past the expiration. There should have been a disclaimer at the beginning of the film that said: "not to be confused with Roger Zalazny's novelette of the same title.

Gary
05-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Add another vote for Paris, Texas.

If you like military films, A Gathering of Eagles is the most accurate portrayal of the 1960s cold war Air Force I've ever seen. The detail is amazingly accurate, right down to the words in the alert message.

maestrowork
05-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I just watched a few "older" movies on TV and forgot how much I enjoyed:

Pleasantville -- that movie launched the careers of Tobey MacGuire and Reese Witherspoon.

American Graffiti -- it's an American classic and it's fun to see Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss and Harrison Ford as teens.

akiwiguy
05-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't know about "unsung", but I saw it on a channel here that screens independent movies rather than main-stream. One of the most erotic I've ever seen...

Henry and June, based on Anais Nin's book.

Depicts the relationship between Anais Nin (Maria de Madeiros) and Henry and June Miller, the Millers played by Fred Ward and Uma Thurman. I of course, emm hemmm, watched it for it's literary relevance... nah... de Madeiros simply sizzles.

Note: Came with a NC-17 rating in US and was actually banned in Sth Africa, yet got a mild M rating in Australia.

Cassie
05-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Another vote for "The Edge."

How about (coming of age films):

Stand By Me

This Boy's Life

Anne Lyle
05-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Not entirely unsung in its day (got a BAFTA), but little known now:

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054790/) - low-tech SF film about Londoners coping with the ultimate in global warming!

For lovers of swashbucklers:

Prince of Foxes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041767/) - shot on location in Italy - pity the producers were too mean to splash out on colour film stock

Scaramouche (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045125/) - features a 7-minute sword-fight with Stewart Granger in Renaissance costume :)

licity-lieu
05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
How about (coming of age films):

Stand By Me

This Boy's Life

Two beauties.

For an Australian flavour you can never go past Puberty Blues--a tale of two surfer chicks growing up in the Sydney beach culture of the 1970s. A cracker!

Cassie
05-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Two beauties.

For an Australian flavour you can never go past Puberty Blues--a tale of two surfer chicks growing up in the Sydney beach culture of the 1970s. A cracker!

Thanks for the suggestion, licity. I'll see if I can find it.

Speaking of Down Under ----

I loved "The Piano."

J. Weiland
05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Cidade de Deus, brilliant and shocking Brazilian gangster movie. Total class.

As for being unsung, maybe not, but I'm not sure it is widely watched.

licity-lieu
05-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I loved "The Piano."

Down Under can't claim that one (it's a Kiwi film) but, yes, LOVED IT too!! Especially Anna Paquin's role. Whatever happened to her? Went to Hollywood and got nothing but crappy, sleezy roles :Shrug: . She deserves more.

zahra
05-28-2007, 12:24 AM
OK. I have my list of the movies from this thread that I intend to see:
Layer Cake, The Duellists, A Slight Case of Murder, Slither and the killer dogs movie that Spookywriter mentioned - did we settle on a title, or am I gonna have to shame-facedly outline the plot for some sniggering teenager at the DVD shop?

Toothpaste
05-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Okay I must step in to defend Anna Paquin. I think she has made some excellent film choices since her turn in the Piano, more so than most child actors. Sure she has had small bit parts in the odd teen romps, but she has been also in several small indy movies, like The Squid and the Whale (which I would like to add to this list of unsung movies), and was in the X-Men series, which up until the third one was a critically acclaimed as well as commercially successful super hero franchise. And to be honest, plays a pretty emotionally affecting mutant there. Anyway, sorry, back on topic . . .

The Squid and the Whale
Quiz Show
Big Night

licity-lieu
05-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Oh yeah--forgot about 'The Squid and the Whale' top flick!

Toothpaste
05-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Especially for writers! A bit depressing, but really interesting if you know the business like we do!

licity-lieu
05-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Back to Aussie films:

Have you seen?

Mad Max (the original)
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Two of my all time favs (including PB, of course)

I'd be interested to know if those have been released in the US and UK. These movies are amongst a rare bunch of quality Australian films...we dont seem to make them these days (Lantana and Rabbit Proof Fence being exceptions). The Aussie film industry obsesses over boyz with guns stuff these days. It's a truely dying industry here. JMHO (and sorry...off topic)

Danger Jane
05-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I agree on The Man in the Moon, Friday Night Lights (and I'm not big on sports movies), and I've wanted to see Igby Goes Down for a while now because Kieran Culkin is in it.

Mean Creek
The Chumscrubber
Donnie Darko
The Butterfly Effect, although I'm not sure how unsung this really is, since it's not really indie. I guess I'll still count it since people say it's stupid because of Ashton Kutcher but come on he totally owns in it and That 70s Show is funny.

aadams73
05-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Picnic at Hanging Rock

I'd be interested to know if those have been released in the US and UK.

Picnic has definitely been released here in the US. It was one of my first purchases when we bought a DVD player. I still get chills when I think about Picnic; that music, that atmosphere...

zahra
05-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Picnic has definitely been released here in the US. It was one of my first purchases when we bought a DVD player. I still get chills when I think about Picnic; that music, that atmosphere...
I remember a group of us went to see Picnic when I was at school, and we were under the impression that it was based on a true story. I've since heard that's not the case. Anyway, yes, great movie. Liked Igby, too.

alaskamatt17
05-28-2007, 03:25 AM
I agree on The Man in the Moon, Friday Night Lights (and I'm not big on sports movies), and I've wanted to see Igby Goes Down for a while now because Kieran Culkin is in it.

Mean Creek
The Chumscrubber
Donnie Darko
The Butterfly Effect, although I'm not sure how unsung this really is, since it's not really indie. I guess I'll still count it since people say it's stupid because of Ashton Kutcher but come on he totally owns in it and That 70s Show is funny.

Although indie, Donnie Darko is pretty well-known. Not sure I'd call it unsung.

Danger Jane
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Although indie, Donnie Darko is pretty well-known. Not sure I'd call it unsung.

Mm, I know, but it took years for it to get going, the whole um...9/11 thing...so I still count it. And anyway it's no Pirates for notoriety.

poetinahat
05-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Back to Aussie films:

Have you seen?

Mad Max (the original)
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Two of my all time favs (including PB, of course)

Haven't seen 'Picnic' yet; I missed it in the orientation session...

Over the past few years, I've found a lot of Aussie films I've loved (yep, Lantana is one):
The Castle <-- MUST see
The Dish <-- Almost as funny.
Gettin' Square
The Sum of Us <-- Good father/son flick w/Jack Thompson and Rusty Crowe.
Doing Time for Patsy Cline
The Bank
The Night We Called It A Day <-- Dennis Hopper as Sinatra on his Australian tour. He insulted a reporter, and the unions shut down his tour. Quite funny.
Crackerjack <-- Hilarious. About a ne'er-do-well and the lawn bowls club he joined... just for the parking space.
Romper Stomper <-- Rusty as a skinhead.

peg
05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
I wonder if any other old timers remember this 1969 movie, "Oh! What a Lovely War"? It popped into my mind due to this thread, and lo and behold, it is on DVD!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064754/

I saw it in 1969 (when I was young), and I remember WWI being depicted as a game, with the proper British viewing it from the pavilion, and the scorekeeper posting the latest casualty figures - the side with the most deaths lost. I remember the music hall scene, in which a beautiful woman is on stage from afar, seducing the young men in the audience to sign up to go to war; and in a close up view, she was an old hag in grotesque make-up. It ended with one of the soldiers it had followed who was killed, sitting on a hillside, his family visiting around him, and a poppy. The camera panned out and out, to a hillside red with poppies.

I, too, liked Big Night and The Wrong Box. I'm not a big movie goer, but love The Siege, October Sky (the book was much better, tho), Remember the Titans, Amistad, and Men of Honor.

peg

Bmwhtly
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Back to Aussie films:

Have you seen?

Mad Max (the original)Certainly! I have it on DVD.

Picnic at Hanging RockI've seen it and it is a great atmospheric piece. But not the kind of thing I feel the need to see again.

I'd be interested to know if those have been released in the US and UK.In the UK, that's a big Yup.

These movies are amongst a rare bunch of quality Australian films...we dont seem to make them these days (Lantana and Rabbit Proof Fence being exceptions). The Aussie film industry obsesses over boyz with guns stuff these days. It's a truely dying industry here. JMHO (and sorry...off topic)Well, there was The Proposition. I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'Australian'. It was filmed there, but it's mostly British Actors in it.
Either way, it was really very good indeed.

Rainy Night
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM

A Shane Black, movie, they don't get much better.

Uma
05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
My SO came home with the movie My summer of Love one evening and I went 'eh' when I read the cover, but Wow after watching it. It's one of the best movies I've seen this year and good evidence of how sometimes it just takes a good simple story and some great directing.

zahra
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
A Shane Black, movie, they don't get much better.

Just got KKBB out on DVD, for watching over weekend, when I'm not working. How excited am I?

licity-lieu
06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, there was The Proposition. I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'Australian'. It was filmed there, but it's mostly British Actors in it.
Either way, it was really very good indeed.

The Proposition was written by Nick Cave--so I guess that makes it Australian. Havnt seen it yet. It's on my must see list, a list that has grown thanks to this thread.

P.S to Poet: Romper Stomper was a huge hit here. One of our best films! glad you mentioned it. Starring our Rus when he was a good bloke!

Writer2011
06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Battle Beyond The Stars Has that guy that played John Boy in the Waltons..

The Counterfeit Traitor--good flick

No Small Affair--a young Demi Moore and Jon Cryer (from Two and a Half men)

zahra
06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Kiss Kiss B B - :thankyou: :Clap:

Thanks for the recommends, guys!

Stacia Kane
06-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I LOVE that movie!!

zahra
06-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Just remembered a great movie from the early 70s. I wonder if any other UK folk here have seen it?

It's called 'Unman, Wittering and Zigo', and it's a psychological thriller about a teacher who goes to teach at a really posh boys' school, only to find the boys murdered his predecessor, and menace him and his wife, threatening to do the the same to them if he doesn't toe the line, giving the boys good marks and letting them do what they want and basically being their biatch.

I can't remember why he doesn't just quit, but I do remember it was a really really good movie. The creepiness of the boys was really chilling. I, for one, intend to track it down with the zeal of a blonde glamour-model going after a Premiership footballer.

TrainofThought
06-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't see a lot of movies, but here are a few I enjoyed that weren't highly publicized.

A Very Long Engagement - Foreign Film (Director of Amelie) "The story of a young woman's relentless search for her fiancée, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One.”

Speechless - “Two political speechwriters fall in love before they find out they are working for candidates on opposite sides.”

Sliding Doors - “A London woman's love life and career both hinge, unknown to her, on whether or not she catches a train. We see it both ways, in parallel.”

Garden State - “A quietly troubled young man returns home for his mother's funeral after being estranged from his family for a decade.”