Crazy idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonfictionIdeas

I had an idea and wonder if it is crazy or not? What if you offered the full text of your book online and gave readers the option to make a donation (which would be the regular price of the book) and with that donation that would get a print version of your book? This could be a totally insane idea, but then again it might work. Hmm... maybe not? Maybe I should go to sleep.

James
www.NonfictionIdeas.com

veingloree

It might work, but I expect most people would just read for free or print out their own copy -- unless it is some sort of reference book they will refer to often.

Jazzmine

book idea

I tend to agree that most people would probably just read the free, online version, though some, who don't like reading off a computer screen, might buy the print version.
The problem I see, is that if they are paying full price for the book, then they aren't really giving a "donation," which I believe is an amount determined by the giver.
Perhaps other, more and different types of marketing might be better.
Just my opinions, (and I'm no expert, by any means), but hope it helps. :)

Greenwolf103

Re: book idea

What you could do is note on the site that purchases of the book go towards that particular donation (be sure to include the name of the place the donation is going to) and take what money you earn from book sales and mail the donation yourself.

But, yeah, if something is available online for free, people are likely to just read the book for free. (Well, maybe not ALL people...)

NonfictionIdeas

Yes, this probably is a crackpot idea... but it is still tempting to try. :grin

STORMTURNER

Actually, if there were a way where it could not be downloaded or forwarded/emailed in anyway, it might work. Every book could be between 20/40 bucks. Once their secure payment method was processed, they would be given a one-time only password (which could not be used by another user)and, if copyright laws don't prohibit, they could read it whenever they logged in online.

If I were you, I'd do the research and play around with it, because it could work.

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.