Top 5 Drummers

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose we should round out our top five lists with our picks for the fifth musician found in the typical rock band: the drummer.

For me, numero uno has to be Phil Collins. From Genesis to Brand X to his solo pop and big band work to thumping the tubs for the likes of Eric Clapton, he has to be the most talented, versatile drummer of the last four decades. As a singer he's good, but his instrument has always been and always will be the drums, where he is a virtuoso.

Bill Bruford of Yes. A unique percussionist in every sense of the word.

Jeff Porcaro of Toto. His untimely death was a huge loss to his family, of course, but also to the world of music.

Carmine Appice. What can you say about a guy who has carried the sticks for the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Bo Diddley and Jeff Beck, to name but a few?

Simon Phillips. Even if you've never heard of him, you've probably heard him play on records by Roger Daltry, the Corrs, Judas Priest ... the list goes on and on.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I'll confess I'm not terribly edjumacated about drummers, but here's my list of favorites:

1) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
2) Neil Peart (Rush)
3) Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)
4) Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
5) Jerry Gaskill (King's X)

I'm sure the Tower of Power guys are more talented than my list, but this is just personal preference.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He was the first drummer I idolized. Another amazing drummer from that era was Louis Bellson. The guy could do more with one hand than half the drummers today can do with two.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I remember seeing Buddy Rich on the Carson Show when I was a kid. Yeah, he was pretty good.

Aynsley Dunbar -- John Mayal, Zappa and the Mothers, Journey
Bobby Caldwell -- Johnny Winter, Captain Beyond, Rick Derringer
Carl Palmer -- ELP
Nick D'Virgilio -- Spock's Beard
Mike Portnoy -- Dream Theater

Honorable mention: Lee Kerslake -- Uriah Heep, Ozzy

I'll have to think about my jazz drummer list.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Mick Fleetwood - Fleetwood Mac(duh)

You're gonna get mad at me but...

Kieth Moon(dang!) - The Who

Kenny Dale Johnson - Silvertone(I just love when he plays simply; honestly don't remember seeing him with sticks though :\)

Rick Allen - Def Leppard(come on! One arm!!!)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mad at you for liking Keith Moon? Nevah, dahlink. Keith was a madman, yes, but his was a singular talent. He played the drums like a melodic instrument; throwing in riffs, constantly exploring the rhythmic possibilities of a song, unlike so many who merely keep time with no more musicality than a metronome.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing Buddy Rich on the Carson Show when I was a kid. Yeah, he was pretty good.

Me too, he was on several times, I think many times during the '60's and '70's. I vagely recall Rich and Carson both playing together one time.

There was an actor whose name I forget, talking with Johnny on the Tonight Show, who hadn't been a 'big name' but who had a major role in a just-released, very popular movie, so his acting career was really taking off. He had been taking drum lessons from Buddy Rich, and he told of calling Buddy to tell how great the new movie was doing. Buddy didn't sound enthused, and the actor asked why not. Buddy responded "Well, I thought you were going to make a pretty good drummer."

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Max Weinberg for being the drummer on one of the greatest albums of all time.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Tool, but I think Danny Carey's pretty damn talented.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
What about old Gene Kupa or even Russel Kunkel? What's your take on them?

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Mad at you for liking Keith Moon? Nevah, dahlink. Keith was a madman, yes, but his was a singular talent. He played the drums like a melodic instrument; throwing in riffs, constantly exploring the rhythmic possibilities of a song, unlike so many who merely keep time with no more musicality than a metronome.

Hey you just boiled down what I like; no make that love about The Who! Everything's just so completely flipped. It's upside down and through the looking glass. Seriously, on a lot of the songs, Pete and Roger are keeping the beat while Kieth and John are giving the melody and well, it's genius!

I still don't get why they get called the original punks. Then again, I don't get how The Clash is Punk. Too musical to be punk(at least if you compare to The Sex Pistols).

Ooh lots of folks will hate me for this, but early Who kicks the crap out of early Beatles.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What about old Gene Kupa or even Russel Kunkel? What's your take on them?

Gene Krupa is right up there with the ones I mentioned. As far as Kunkel, I've always admired studio musicians. You don't get asked to play for people like Neal Diamond, Joe Walsh, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, and CSNY unless you're good.

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow, who was the drummer who played on tour with ND back in the 70's, do you remember?

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even going to pretend I know. And I'm horrible at figuring out how to do internet searches. Sorry.

Whew! I finally found out it was Dennis St. John, who was the drummer for ND in the 70's. However, under Famous Drummers A to Z, there wasn't any mention of him. I Yahoo searched and I didn't find anything except an actor under that name...poof...he vanished?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey you just boiled down what I like; no make that love about The Who! Everything's just so completely flipped. It's upside down and through the looking glass. Seriously, on a lot of the songs, Pete and Roger are keeping the beat while Kieth and John are giving the melody and well, it's genius!

I still don't get why they get called the original punks. Then again, I don't get how The Clash is Punk. Too musical to be punk(at least if you compare to The Sex Pistols).
The Who were the precursors to the Punk movement. They set the ground rules. Punk as we know it came later, but The Who made it all possible. Listen to My Generation and you'll hear the seeds being sown.

Ooh lots of folks will hate me for this, but early Who kicks the crap out of early Beatles.
:e2thud:

I love The Who, but The Beatles were the band that turned me on to music. I was around eight years old when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964, I believe it was. That was it; from that moment on, all I ever wanted to do was play in a rock band. I burned out an old Seabreeze turntable playing Beatles 45s over and over again. So for me, The Beatles will always be the greatest band of all time, even though I consider Genesis my favourite band.