PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Drummers

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 01:27 AM
I suppose we should round out our top five lists with our picks for the fifth musician found in the typical rock band: the drummer.

For me, numero uno has to be Phil Collins. From Genesis to Brand X to his solo pop and big band work to thumping the tubs for the likes of Eric Clapton, he has to be the most talented, versatile drummer of the last four decades. As a singer he's good, but his instrument has always been and always will be the drums, where he is a virtuoso.

Bill Bruford of Yes. A unique percussionist in every sense of the word.

Jeff Porcaro of Toto. His untimely death was a huge loss to his family, of course, but also to the world of music.

Carmine Appice. What can you say about a guy who has carried the sticks for the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Bo Diddley and Jeff Beck, to name but a few?

Simon Phillips. Even if you've never heard of him, you've probably heard him play on records by Roger Daltry, the Corrs, Judas Priest ... the list goes on and on.

III
05-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I'll confess I'm not terribly edjumacated about drummers, but here's my list of favorites:

1) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
2) Neil Peart (Rush)
3) Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)
4) Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
5) Jerry Gaskill (King's X)

I'm sure the Tower of Power guys are more talented than my list, but this is just personal preference.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 01:50 AM
You got some good stickmen there, III. :Thumbs:

eldragon
05-18-2007, 01:51 AM
I saw a drummer playing with Wendy O., once, and he was awesome.

Not sure what his name was.

newmod
05-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Doktor Avalanche - Sisters of Mercy ;)

benbradley
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Buddy Rich.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 02:26 AM
He was the first drummer I idolized. Another amazing drummer from that era was Louis Bellson (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4259255939377702378). The guy could do more with one hand than half the drummers today can do with two.

newmod
05-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Robert Heaton - New Model Army

Shadow_Ferret
05-18-2007, 04:08 AM
I remember seeing Buddy Rich on the Carson Show when I was a kid. Yeah, he was pretty good.

Aynsley Dunbar -- John Mayal, Zappa and the Mothers, Journey
Bobby Caldwell -- Johnny Winter, Captain Beyond, Rick Derringer
Carl Palmer -- ELP
Nick D'Virgilio -- Spock's Beard
Mike Portnoy -- Dream Theater

Honorable mention: Lee Kerslake -- Uriah Heep, Ozzy

I'll have to think about my jazz drummer list.

Nolita
05-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Mick Fleetwood - Fleetwood Mac(duh)

You're gonna get mad at me but...

Kieth Moon(dang!) - The Who

Kenny Dale Johnson - Silvertone(I just love when he plays simply; honestly don't remember seeing him with sticks though :\)

Rick Allen - Def Leppard(come on! One arm!!!)

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Mad at you for liking Keith Moon? Nevah, dahlink. Keith was a madman, yes, but his was a singular talent. He played the drums like a melodic instrument; throwing in riffs, constantly exploring the rhythmic possibilities of a song, unlike so many who merely keep time with no more musicality than a metronome.

benbradley
05-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I remember seeing Buddy Rich on the Carson Show when I was a kid. Yeah, he was pretty good.

Me too, he was on several times, I think many times during the '60's and '70's. I vagely recall Rich and Carson both playing together one time.

There was an actor whose name I forget, talking with Johnny on the Tonight Show, who hadn't been a 'big name' but who had a major role in a just-released, very popular movie, so his acting career was really taking off. He had been taking drum lessons from Buddy Rich, and he told of calling Buddy to tell how great the new movie was doing. Buddy didn't sound enthused, and the actor asked why not. Buddy responded "Well, I thought you were going to make a pretty good drummer."

J. Weiland
05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Max Weinberg for being the drummer on one of the greatest albums of all time.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
He played on Vacation by the Go Go's? ;)

sunna
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Tool, but I think Danny Carey's pretty damn talented.

RG570
05-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Bill Bruford
Chad Wakerman
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Smith
Neil Peart

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2007, 07:26 AM
I can't believe I forgot Christian Vander!

Anyway, my jazz list, for anyone who was waiting:
Buddy Rich
Tony Williams
Steve Gadd
Billy Cobham
Jack DeJohnette

Found this: Buddy Rich Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpR5iw9F1M)

DeborahM
05-19-2007, 07:35 AM
What about old Gene Kupa or even Russel Kunkel? What's your take on them?

Nolita
05-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Mad at you for liking Keith Moon? Nevah, dahlink. Keith was a madman, yes, but his was a singular talent. He played the drums like a melodic instrument; throwing in riffs, constantly exploring the rhythmic possibilities of a song, unlike so many who merely keep time with no more musicality than a metronome.

Hey you just boiled down what I like; no make that love about The Who! Everything's just so completely flipped. It's upside down and through the looking glass. Seriously, on a lot of the songs, Pete and Roger are keeping the beat while Kieth and John are giving the melody and well, it's genius!

I still don't get why they get called the original punks. Then again, I don't get how The Clash is Punk. Too musical to be punk(at least if you compare to The Sex Pistols).

Ooh lots of folks will hate me for this, but early Who kicks the crap out of early Beatles.

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2007, 07:53 AM
What about old Gene Kupa or even Russel Kunkel? What's your take on them?

Gene Krupa is right up there with the ones I mentioned. As far as Kunkel, I've always admired studio musicians. You don't get asked to play for people like Neal Diamond, Joe Walsh, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, and CSNY unless you're good.

DeborahM
05-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Shadow, who was the drummer who played on tour with ND back in the 70's, do you remember?

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm not even going to pretend I know. And I'm horrible at figuring out how to do internet searches. Sorry.

DeborahM
05-19-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm not even going to pretend I know. And I'm horrible at figuring out how to do internet searches. Sorry.

Whew! I finally found out it was Dennis St. John, who was the drummer for ND in the 70's. However, under Famous Drummers A to Z, there wasn't any mention of him. I Yahoo searched and I didn't find anything except an actor under that name...poof...he vanished?

Pike
05-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Neil Peart
Carmine Appice
Ginger Baker
Ron Bushy
Ansley Dunbar

ChunkyC
05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey you just boiled down what I like; no make that love about The Who! Everything's just so completely flipped. It's upside down and through the looking glass. Seriously, on a lot of the songs, Pete and Roger are keeping the beat while Kieth and John are giving the melody and well, it's genius!

I still don't get why they get called the original punks. Then again, I don't get how The Clash is Punk. Too musical to be punk(at least if you compare to The Sex Pistols).
The Who were the precursors to the Punk movement. They set the ground rules. Punk as we know it came later, but The Who made it all possible. Listen to My Generation and you'll hear the seeds being sown.

Ooh lots of folks will hate me for this, but early Who kicks the crap out of early Beatles.
:e2thud:

I love The Who, but The Beatles were the band that turned me on to music. I was around eight years old when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964, I believe it was. That was it; from that moment on, all I ever wanted to do was play in a rock band. I burned out an old Seabreeze turntable playing Beatles 45s over and over again. So for me, The Beatles will always be the greatest band of all time, even though I consider Genesis my favourite band.

Cav Guy
05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Nico McBrain
Ginger Baker
Charlie Benante
Neil Peart
Buddy Rich

benbradley
05-19-2007, 09:16 PM
And I'm surprised no one mentioned this guy. Have a listen.
http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

madderblue
05-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I love drummers! This list totally dates me too, btw.

My top five in not particular order.

John Bonham: Led Zeppelin
Terry Bozzio: Frank Zappa
Keith Moon: The Who
Ian Paice: Deep Purple
Jimmy Chamberlain: The Smashing Pumpkins

madderblue
05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
Damnit, forgot

Cozy Powell and Tommy Aldrich.

Pike
05-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Terry Bozzio played with Zappa? Cool. I didn't hear of him until Missing Persons.

Nolita
05-20-2007, 07:45 AM
:e2thud:

I love The Who, but The Beatles were the band that turned me on to music. I was around eight years old when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964, I believe it was. That was it; from that moment on, all I ever wanted to do was play in a rock band. I burned out an old Seabreeze turntable playing Beatles 45s over and over again. So for me, The Beatles will always be the greatest band of all time, even though I consider Genesis my favourite band.

That's gotta be it! See you were around to see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. By the time I was born best I got was Wings. Not dissing Wings mind you. I love all things McCartney(except for the former Mrs. McCartney, can't stand her, she's an evil succubus, that's all).

Anyway, for me there's more distance. That said, I can't get enough jangle-pop, and we owe jangle-pop to the Beatles that's for sure.

Oh hey, I'm gonna say:

Again! Mick Fleetwood
Also lest we forget
Roger Taylor of Queen

Apparently I love a man with a gong who's not afraid to use it!

madderblue
05-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Terry Bozzio played with Zappa? Cool. I didn't hear of him until Missing Persons.

And the band UK too!

madderblue
05-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Why are drummers so tall? (Mick Fleetwood, Neil Pert, Tommy Lee, Chad Smith...I'm sure there's more. Okay, dumb question. But I forgot Mick Fleetwood.

Nolita
05-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Hahaha they aren't all so tall. What about Lars Ulrich? Is he on the list yet? He's a tiny little guy. Oh don't tell him I said that, he's an angry elf. So Keeblerian.

Funny but a lot of famous musicians(regardless of instrument I'd say), are towards the extremes of height(be they short or tall). Mick Mars is such a little guy, but then his bandmates are t-a-a-a-a-a-ll. Then there's Yngwie Malmsteen(SP?), he's huge. A giant Swede.

It's not a dumb question though.

Oh hey, gotta add Stuart Copeland, if he's not already on the list.

madderblue
05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I always had this image that they 'grow' that way. Like how ballerinas have that ballerina body, swimmers have that up-side-down triangle thing going for them and giraffes developed those long necks so they can grab all the juicy leaves in trees :D ... since drummers are using their arms and legs so much and must reach occasionally they just grow big...lol. But yea, they ain't all that way.

Oh, Stuart. First concert I ever saw. And he was like nine foot tall when he stepped out from behind those drums! Woa.

Who is the drummer that played with The Firm. I'm drawing a blank. He was good.

Two more: Randy Castillo from Ozzy and Lita Ford (RIP)
Scott Travis from Racer X and the current Judas Priest

Shadow_Ferret
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Who is the drummer that played with The Firm. I'm drawing a blank. He was good.

Chris Slade

Jersey Chick
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
OK - here's my vote:

Lars Ulrich (the angry elf)
Keith Moon
Tommy Lee (a freak, yes, but a damn fine drummer)
Rick Allen
Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)

poetinahat
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
You may not know this guy, but Daniel Glass (http://www.danielglass.com/) is wicked. He is (was?) the drummer for The Royal Crown Revue, a revival swing combo (you may know them from The Mask -- they played, "Hey, Pachuco!"

I've seen RCR a few times. The part that always amazes me is when the drummer and the upright bass player take over. Glass eventually works his way from behind the drum kit, but he never stops playing -- the drums, cymbals, stands, and then the bass -- he walks up the side of it and plays the strings with his sticks, while the bassman does the fingering. Great, great show -- and the guy seriously knows his drums.

aka eraser
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think I know five by name but I'll always consider Keith Moon to be the best I've heard, followed by John Bonham. Ginger Baker was flashy and immensely talented but sometimes didn't seem to be playing in quite the same song as the other guys. Also loved the kid (now probably 50-something) who drummed for Santana back in the Woodstock days.

James M M Baldwin
05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
1. Buddy Rich, all-time great (deceased?)
2. Niel Peart, Rush
3. Niko McBrain, Iron Maiden

Rainy Night
05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm no expert, but I've always liked Mitch Mitchell.

ChunkyC
05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Also loved the kid (now probably 50-something) who drummed for Santana back in the Woodstock days.
Michael Shrieve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shrieve). Yeah, he was amazing. The whole percussion section was incredible. I said in the guitar thread that Abraxas is one of the great guitar albums of all time, but I'd have to say it deserves the same recognition for the percussion.

dclary
05-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Joe English
Cactus Moser
and Ringo (only because I can actually play his rhythms myself. Not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing...)

Writer2011
05-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Lars Ulrich-Metallica

Neal Peart-Rush

Bonzo (John Bonham)-Led Zeppelin

Don Henly--solo

That guy from Def Leppard :)

Cate
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree w/ the Phil Collins assessment! He is wonderful.

Also love Neil Peart...

Inkdaub
05-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Dave Grohl - Nirvana/Foo/QOTSA
Neal Peart - Rush
Jeff Burrows - The Tea Party
Janet Weiss - Sleater-Kinney/Quasi
Dale Crover - Melvins/Nirvana
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden/Pearl Jam

Bubastes
06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Super late to this party, but my faves:

Kenny Aronoff (I'm surprised no one has mentioned him yet! He's the kind of musician I wish I could be)
John Bonham (loooove his "Fool in the Rain" shuffle)
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Phil Collins

There are SO many great drummers, though, so if you ask me on a different day, I'll probably have a different list.

Gozzy
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Mitch Mitchell has to be added to the thread - brilliant drummer.

Cassie
06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
My picks:

Gene Krupa and Keith Moon - two peas in a pod .......

Rainy Night
06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Mitch Mitchell has to be added to the thread - brilliant drummer.

I mentioned Mitch Mitchell earlier and was surprised no one else had commented or mentioned him. I'm glad to know there's another fan out there.

robeiae
06-17-2007, 08:49 PM
1. John Bonham
2. Neil Peart
3. Ginger Baker
4. Keith Moon
5. Carl Palmer

Pamster
07-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Rick Allen is my ultiamte favorite Drummer, he just ROCKS! :D I was lucky enough to have met him and two other members of the band when they were really hot during the second leg fo the Hysteria Tour. :D

Ahhhhh, the memories. ;) :D

Shadow_Ferret
07-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Dean Castronova of Journey, who one of the Drummer mags calls the Eddie Van Halen of drums.

WriterInChains
07-14-2007, 09:41 AM
John Bonham
Mitch Mitchell
Sean Kinney
Mick Fleetwood
Mickey Hart (Damned creative when he's not batshit crazy. Not that there's anything wrong with being crazy. :))

September skies
07-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Louis Bellson - he actually played in our hometown (and I have an autographed 8x10 photograph of him)

Skip Shaffer (he's the best as far as I'm concerned)

Mud Dauber
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Dave Grohl - Nirvana/Foo/QOTSA
Neal Peart - Rush
Jeff Burrows - The Tea Party
Janet Weiss - Sleater-Kinney/Quasi
Dale Crover - Melvins/Nirvana
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden/Pearl Jam

Hey, Inkdaub... ever see this footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Pfg0kF5hs)from a Foo Fighter's concert, where Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins do a double drum solo? Love that clip--so glad someone put it on youtube.:)

Lady Esther
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Travis Barker- Blink 182

Unique
07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't know this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko)'s name.

Wait til you get to the drum solo. I know one of you knows this guy's name.

aka eraser
07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I was recalling the same guy in this post (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1350328&postcount=39). And Charlie kindly supplied his name in this one (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1351002&postcount=42).

Unique
07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I was recalling the same guy in this post (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1350328&postcount=39). And Charlie kindly supplied his name in this one (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1351002&postcount=42).

ah, yes. deep memories those .... whoa

Mania
07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
My number 1 drummer has got to be Frost from Satyricon & 1349. He's the only one I've heard in a while that has created a style of his own.