PDA

View Full Version : Most Boring Band Ever!

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I picked this out of the Top 5 Keyboardists thread.

And I'd remove the dream theater guy, because they're the most boring band ever.

Most boring ever! Wow. That encompasses every band in the history of music. Most boring ever. That is quite a feat.

I'd disagree with that, but I have to think about who I'd actually place as the most boring band ever.

Maybe Little River Band
or Ambrosia
or Bread

Who would ya'll list as Most Boring Band Ever?

eldragon
05-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Alan Parsons Project?

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Hmm. I'd say they may have become boring as they moved more towards a pop sensibility. But I think their first few albums, and especially their first, were anything but boring.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Josie and the Pussycats. ;)

eldragon
05-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Did Paula Addul have a band? If so, that would be it.

And her voice. It's boring.

And Starship in their late years.

ChunkyC
05-18-2007, 01:56 AM
"We built this shitty...."

Sorry, Freudian slip. ;)

benbradley
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Air Supply.

ModoReese
05-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Our Lady Peace.

They don't make me angry, or upset, or happy. I can't remember a single thing about a song as soon it's over. They're just there. And I don't understand why.

It probably doesn't help that being in Canada they were shoved down my throat for about 10 years....

Michelle

blacbird
05-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Bread.

caw

cletus
05-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I'd agree with Bread and late Starship.

I'll add:
The Carpenters
N'Sync, Take That, Westlife and any other boy bands you can think of!

III
05-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Hard to think of any band more boring or aptly named than Bread. I'll throw Bush into the mix. They were as generic and lifeless as any grunge-leftover band.

eldragon
05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Bread and Air Supply, however, were easy listening and did ballads. I liked them both in small doses.

That brown headed guy with Air Supply could hit some really impressive high notes.

I think they (Air Supply and Bread) were created for drunk people to cry to.

madderblue
05-19-2007, 02:17 AM
My husband took me to see Dream Theater and I fell asleep. They have my vote.

Hang on...I'm thinking. I was going to say Foreigner (despite my brief love for them in junior high) but hubby just reprimanded me and started humming "Double Vision".

ChunkyC
05-19-2007, 04:13 AM
I can't come up with a band more boring than some of those already mentioned. However, there are some solo artists who take somnolence to new heights:

Yanni
John Tesh
Dan Hill

Nolita
05-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Would you add Zamfir to the list Chunky?

In small doses the pan flute's beautiful. An album's worth? ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

RG570
05-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Ah, I was half joking in that thread. Take The Time and Under A Glass Moon are neat songs, and if I didn't like Liquid Tension Experiment, I'd be an idiot.

This is going to get tomatoes and bricks and grenades thrown at my head, but I have to say it:

AC/DC. It's so boring! They don't do anything! They could use a drum machine that only had two samples and it would sound no different. I can't even hear what the bassist may or may not be doing, and it's the same old licks and riffs over and over and over and over.

Definitely Air Supply.

benbradley
05-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I can't come up with a band more boring than some of those already mentioned. However, there are some solo artists who take somnolence to new heights:

Yanni
John Tesh
Dan Hill

Excuse me, but I do believe that mentioning New Age/Yuppie Jazz artists in this thread is cheating.

ChunkyC
05-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Excuse me, but I do believe that mentioning New Age/Yuppie Jazz artists in this thread is cheating.
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pi_bigsmile.gif

'cept Dan Hill isn't a new age yuppie jazz artist. But he's better than Nyquil for an imsomniac. I had a buddy who referred to him as 'Down Hill' because he was so depressing.

Cav Guy
05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
The White Strypes or whatever they call themselves. Talk about retreaded '60s pop junk.

Nolita
05-20-2007, 07:49 AM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pi_bigsmile.gif

'cept Dan Hill isn't a new age yuppie jazz artist. But he's better than Nyquil for an imsomniac. I had a buddy who referred to him as 'Down Hill' because he was so depressing.

Mmmmm Nyquil. It's the poor man's absinthe.

ModoReese
05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Il Divo? My friend was forced to attend their concert and came back calling them "Il Dullo". She spent the evening reading the hockey banners in the rafters and she doesn't even like hockey.

I'd like to also add Nickleback to the voting. ;)

Writer2011
05-22-2007, 08:43 AM
I'd have to say Air Supply and Asia (they did have two hits though)

Nolita
05-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Nickelback confuses me. They're touted as being Canadian Rockers Nickelback, right? Well they may be Canadian, but I've never heard them rock. What gives?

poetinahat
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
This won't be a popular choice, but - sorry - I just can't stay awake for...

The Dave Mathews Band

I've tried. I actually possess two of their CD's.

's the way it goes.

(I'm nary a fan of Oasis neither.)

Shadow_Ferret
05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

The Dave Mathews Band

Whoohoo! You da man! Yeah! All hail Poet!

alleycat
05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Air Supply
Devo (okay, it was amusing for two minutes, after that, who cares)
and (my top pick) . . . KC and the Sunshine Band

DeborahM
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Air Supply
Devo (okay, it was amusing for two minutes, after that, who cares)
and (my top pick) . . . KC and the Sunshine Band

Alleycat, just for you! That's the way I like it! That's the way I like it!...:roll:

poetinahat
05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Dangit... Devo were fantastic... up until 1982. (Yes, I'm serious; Devo, Radio City Music Hall, Halloween 1981 -- what a night.)

Yeah, they've been worse than ordinary since then.

Oh, and lest we forget:

Chicago

alleycat
05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Alleycat, just for you! That's the way I like it! That's the way I like it!...
You forget the "uh, huh, uh, huh" part.

DeborahM
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
No, I didn't...I wanted to see if you'd say it!!!

Mud Dauber
05-22-2007, 11:34 PM
The White Strypes or whatever they call themselves. Talk about retreaded '60s pop junk.

It's the White Stripes, and I tried to refrain from getting involved in this thread, but I can't--I've got to defend one of my favorite bands. The Stripes may be a lot of things: quirky, unpolished, eccentric... and Jack White's voice may very well get on some people's nerves... but there are two things the White Stripes DEFINITELY are NOT: boring and/or pop.

JMHO:D

wyntermoon
05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
The Brady Bunch

"Sunshine Day"
Misheard Lyrics:
I think I'll go for a walk outside now
The Son of Sam's callin' my name.

Original Lyrics:
I think I'll go for a walk outside now
The summer sun's callin' my name.

Writer2011
05-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I simply cannot get into the Dave Matthews Band--they're boring and about as exciting as watching paint dry :)

Nickelback was cool for about five minutes but now they're old and worn out...

ChunkyC
05-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I'd have to say Air Supply and Asia (they did have two hits though)
Asia is an interesting case. They were made up of superbly talented players, including Steve Howe from Yes and Greg Lake from Emerson Lake and Palmer. These guys and others, with some good reason, had been poo-pooing pop music, saying things like any moron could write a pop tune -- and someone dared them to do it.

So they did. Their first album as Asia spawned at least 2 top ten hits and sold millions of copies. The second album made tons of cash too, and then they folded their tent having proved their point.

(I'm nary a fan of Oasis neither.)
Can't stand them. Not just the music, which bores me, but the unadulterated arrogance of that dickweed -- one of the brothers. His name mercifully escapes me at the moment. ;)

Chicago
Early Chicago (before guitarist Terry Kath put a bullet in his head) was great. 25 or 6 to 4 was an awesome song with a wicked guitar solo. But after Kath died supposedly playing russian roulette, the band turned sappy.

robeiae
05-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Asia is an interesting case. They were made up of superbly talented players, including Steve Howe from Yes and Greg Lake from Emerson Lake and Palmer. These guys and others, with some good reason, had been poo-pooing pop music, saying things like any moron could write a pop tune -- and someone dared them to do it.

So they did. Their first album as Asia spawned at least 2 top ten hits and sold millions of copies. The second album made tons of cash too, and then they folded their tent having proved their point.Ever see them in concert? NOTHING boring about that. The solos were incredible.

ChunkyC
05-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Oh, I believe it! Amazing players, and well crafted pop tunes written specifically for a young audience. I don't doubt for a second they really cut loose live.

Canada's equivalent would have to be Loverboy. Those guys were hard rockers all the way, then they put Loverboy together with the full intention of making hit records. Listen to a song like Everybody's Working for the Weekend and you can feel the 'this is gonna make 14 year old girls scream and 14 year old boys wanna be us' attitude all through it.

Now that I think about it, half of their hits had the same beat. Talk about formulaic.

dclary
05-23-2007, 01:12 AM
I'd put KORN on this list. What a load of predictable, boring, plain silly crap they package as music.

ModoReese
05-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Ok, I know I'm going to get killed for this but:

REM

Stipe's voice puts me to sleep.

And Chicago was going too mellow even before Terry Kath died (If You Leave Me Now anyone) (and I'm a fan). But I've played Chicago Transit Authority for many a non-believer and converted them to the mastery of Terry Kath. :)

Michelle

ModoReese
05-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Just got nudged by the husband to add "Crash Test Dummies".

Michelle

cletus
05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Can't stand them. Not just the music, which bores me, but the unadulterated arrogance of that dickweed -- one of the brothers. His name mercifully escapes me at the moment. ;)

That would be either Liam or Noel Gallagher. I can never remember which one is the arrogant dickweed and find it easier to hate them both.

Shadow_Ferret
05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
That would be either Liam or Noel Gallagher. I can never remember which one is the arrogant dickweed and find it easier to hate them both.

Not to be confused with the late, great Rory Gallagher.

dclary
05-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Or the guy who crushes watermelons with a mallet.

pconsidine
05-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh, and lest we forget:

ChicagoI think we need to draw a line in the sand between the pre- and post-Cetera days. Lately, I've been missing the sound of a good brass section in rock music and have revived all my Blood, Sweat & Tears and Fishbone albums. Some of those old Chicago brass parts are still damn fine.

But that song from the second Karate Kid? That's a hangin' offense round these parts.

Danger Jane
05-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Any boy band ever?

I'd add System of a Down or maybe My Chemical Romance but their music is so damn funny.

Writer2011
05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Now I do like DEVO...grew up listening to them and overplayed Whip It like a thousand times... KC and the Sunshine Band :) Ah...fond memories

III
05-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, I believe it! Amazing players, and well crafted pop tunes written specifically for a young audience. I don't doubt for a second they really cut loose live.

Canada's equivalent would have to be Loverboy. Those guys were hard rockers all the way, then they put Loverboy together with the full intention of making hit records. Listen to a song like Everybody's Working for the Weekend and you can feel the 'this is gonna make 14 year old girls scream and 14 year old boys wanna be us' attitude all through it.

Now that I think about it, half of their hits had the same beat. Talk about formulaic.

I've been out of town, so I'm late back to the party. I liked a few Asia songs, but have you ever listened carefully to the ending guitar solo on Heat of the Moment? It's possibly the worst, most fumbling solo of all time. It sounds like he's playing it with his feet.

Loverboy sang to each other on stage too much. I realize it was the 80's and all, but there comes a point when your manager needs to step in and say "you guys are just singing to each other way too much on stage."

ChunkyC
05-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Loverboy sang to each other on stage too much. I realize it was the 80's and all, but there comes a point when your manager needs to step in and say "you guys are just singing to each other way too much on stage."
LOL!

The boys I was in a band with around the time they came out used to call them COVERBOY because it seemed like every bar band in the world was playing their tunes. And no, we didn't do Coverboy tunes, thank goodness. The band I was in then played Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, UK, Gentle Giant -- and starved. ;)

have you ever listened carefully to the ending guitar solo on Heat of the Moment? It's possibly the worst, most fumbling solo of all time. It sounds like he's playing it with his feet.
Double LOL!! Steve Howe's soloing style did NOT fit the top 40, that's for sure!

cletus
05-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Or the guy who crushes watermelons with a mallet.
Or his younger brother who performs as Gallagher II.

TrainofThought
05-31-2007, 04:54 AM

The Dave Mathews Band

Whoohoo! You da man! Yeah! All hail Poet!I third that. Can't stand him.

I'll probably get something thrown at me, but I can't stand Dido. BORING!

Cate
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
I'll defininately sign on for Dave Matthews--boring and annoying whine...

Somebody is going to hate me for this, but:
Elvis Costello.

I actually fell asleep at his concert! I didn't think that was possible to do....the night was saved by the fact that the Violent Femmes opened for him though....very NOT boring!!

Asia is up there too...

newmod
05-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Coldplay are cack in every respect.

The dickweed (well, the bigger dickweed) Gallagher brother is Liam (the singer).

Status Quo are about as close to complete shite as its possible to be.

Ah god, not a band but hey, Chris "Dire" Rhea, is it possible to listen to an entire song and not top yourself?

Im sure Ill be back with more.

Inkdaub
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Ryan Adams is terribly boring. I have no idea why the hipsters love him so much. It's like his name was picked out of a hat and no matter what garbage he produces the hipsters nod and say it's great.

Bartholomew
05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Josie and the Pussycats. ;)

SLAY THE BLASPHEMER!

poetinahat
06-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I'll defininately sign on for Dave Matthews--boring and annoying whine...

Somebody is going to hate me for this, but:
Elvis Costello.

I actually fell asleep at his concert! I didn't think that was possible to do....the night was saved by the fact that the Violent Femmes opened for him though....very NOT boring!!

Asia is up there too...
Really? Elvis? Well, seeing as how my most recent Elvis album is Taking Liberties (1982?), I'll buy that. Come to think of it, maybe that's not such a surprise. (I always associate him with Joe Jackson, since they hit the charts at the same time. I've seen JJ twice, in very different settings, and he was brilliant both times.)

We obviously had very different VF experiences. I saw the Femmes once, and I have to say it was a disaster. They were arrogant and bored. I walked out halfway through, and I think they wished they could've done so too. At the end of one song, there was a dull silence; Gordon told the audience, "Okay, the song's over. You can clap now." It was like everybody had fallen asleep in the back row while the teacher was writing on the blackboard. "Oh... oh, right! YAAAAYYYY!!!"

Nolita
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Can I just say, the first time I heard Oasis was around the time they released that Beatles album where they digitally added John. I remember thinking "God this new Beatles album sucks!" and feeling really bad for thinking it. Then the dj said it was Oasis. I immediately felt better, and immediately hated Oasis for life.

I even sing the alternate lyrics for INXS's "Elegantly Wasted" as often as possible:

Ah-ah Better than Oasis!

And it's true, they were. Not with that new singer though(hate-hate-hate that guy and wanna wipe the cheese-eating grin off his ratty little face, beady-eyed freak, and he can't sing for crap, just mimics Michael Hutchence and poorly at that).

Gozzy
06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
[quote=newmod;1370666]Coldplay are cack in every respect.

The dickweed (well, the bigger dickweed) Gallagher brother is Liam (the singer).

Status Quo are about as close to complete shite as its possible to be.

Ah god, not a band but hey, Chris "Dire" Rhea, is it possible to listen to an entire song and not top yourself?

quote]

You just about listed the dullest musicians I've ever listened to. I would add Yes (more annoying than boring maybe) to the list and anything touched by Phil Collins. Cheap Trick (most irritating guitarist ever) could qualify, too.

Let us not forget James Blunt, either. Or Norah Jones.

WriterInChains
06-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Definitely Slayer. The whole pit shut down after about 20 minutes -- it was so funny to watch the kids try to rock out, but yawn instead.

Albedo of Zero
06-17-2007, 06:59 AM
goo goo dolls