Dresden on DVD

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't find an older thread - just an FYI for those interested: The Dresden Files, Season 1 is coming out on DVD in August of this year.

I came upon this series late, never read and most likely won't read the books, but I do enjoy the show. Still no official word on renewal, but I'm standing out on the limb that believes it will be since ratings were always good (for the SciFi channel, anyway!)

And now back to your regularly scheduled Thursday. I need more coffee.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the books either, although I bought one a month or so ago--just haven't gotten to it yet. But I definitely will need the DVDs, especially if there are lots of extra features! Hoping that the show will be picked up again, because it quickly became one of my favorites. Thanks for the heads up!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only saw a bit of the show, but READ THE BOOKS PEOPLE! they're phenomonal!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom is totally right. The books are really something special. They're so good they poop all over the TV series :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard just the opposite - that the books aren't as well written as you'd expect. But I do quite enjoy the show, even though I caught only the last 6 eps (a little late on the up-take). For me the wizard aspect is minor, I enjoy the semi-film noir PI aspects, and the performance of both Blackthorne and the dude playing Bob.

WritingDad

Mixed feelings

Although I really like the show very much, I have reservations about the books. I am almost finished with the first one and there are several differences - the most significant being Bob. In the books he is just a skull with glowing red eyes that does move somewhat. He also is just a very old spirit. Maybe his past is reveal in later books but unlike the television show he was not a sorcerer who committed a major no-no.

The author's writing is very simple and not what I have come to expect from typical fictional novels, but it is entertaining nonetheless. I will probably get a few more books and make a decision from there. Regardless, I love the show and hope it gets renewed!