Interview issues - releases, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmama

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, although I've been lurking for quite some time. I enjoy the professionalism in this community.

I've been working in nonfiction for a while, freelancing as a consumer mag writer and then becoming an editor of consumer mags.

Right now I am starting my first nonfic book. It's a guidebook for parents sharing a unique challenge, and I plan to share about 75-100 anecdotes from these types of parents in the book. It's not a compilation of stories -- it will be a how-to book, but I really want to mix a load of stories/experiences into each chapter.

On to the question... what is the standard requirement from publishers when it comes to interviews? Do each of my subjects need to sign some sort of a release? Is there a standard form?

I plan to invite my subjects to take an online questionnaire, which will be a lot like a screening tool for me. If their story is interesting, I will contact them further.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jessica

NomadPress

I am a publisher and our relationship is with the author: what she writes in her book, under her own copyright, is her responsibility. We have no agreement with anyone quoted in any of our authors' books, since the content of her book is her intellectual property.
Hope this helps,

aka eraser

I might be wrong, but I think if the people supplying the anecdotes for your book are named in the book, then a signed release form would be required by the pub's legal division.

My publisher supplied me with the forms I needed. Although I used the forms to get permission to use other's photographs; I think it's likely you'll need permission to use other's stories as well.

Greenwolf103

I was interviewed for three different nonfiction books and told my quotes for one of the books would be used. I was given a release form to sign and fill out, basically acknowledging what the purpose of the interview was, the kind of book the quotes were used for (along with the publisher of the book, though I don't know if it's standard to include this information), agreeing not to hold the author liable for damages/ lawsuits/etc. following publication, understanding that quotes will be edited, etc. I think it just makes sense to have people sign a release form. One of my current NF WIP contains true stories from people and each one of them are being sent a release form to sign acknowledging that they understand it's for a book, etc. It's better to play it on the safe side.

mtmama

Thanks for all the replies -- looks like there is a mix of answers here... I think I will just make it clear to each person that they may need to sign a release from the publisher if the story is included in the book.

Thanks again!
Jessica

Status
Not open for further replies.