PDA

View Full Version : Publisher Dilemma



Greenwolf103
01-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Hi, Everyone,

I've got a sort of a dilemma on my hands. At first I thought I would just go ahead and finish writing my book before I made a decision (since I would have to in either case, anyway), but it keeps eating up at me and the closer I get to finishing this book, the more pressed I am to make a decision.

Here is my problem: I mentioned a book I was writing to a friend who was involved with a publishing company that this book would be perfect for. (She is no longer with this company, but she did give me contact info.) This publisher is now shut down because they're in the process of relocating/getting new management, but I did talk with her contact, who expressed interest in my book. Problem is, she's unsure whether or not the company will resurface with the same business plan. (And we won't know until this summer.) Then I found another publisher to pitch the book to.

Publisher A, however, knows what kind of book this is and might sour over me going to Publisher B, in the event that Publisher A does indeed make a comeback. Also, Publisher B has been around longer than Publisher A, with some recognizable authors on their list. And, finally, I have never seen any books published by Publisher A, whereas Publisher B's books are everywhere.

So, what do I do? Who do I go with? I have no problem either way but I DO want to make the right choices for my book. In the event that Publisher B rejects my proposal, at least I will have Publisher A to fall back on. But would it be unwise for me to go with them should they accept it?

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated. Thank you.

--Dawn

aka eraser
01-13-2005, 01:15 AM
You don't owe Publisher A a thing. Your friend is no longer there; their future is uncertain. I don't see a dilemma here Dawn.

I don't know why you'd wonder if it might be unwise to go with Pub B if they accept it. Is there something about them that gives you pause despite having known authors and a good bookstore presence?

Greenwolf103
01-13-2005, 04:36 AM
Frank: I'd have no problem going with Publisher B. I'd be happy if that's the route that turns up. BUT I am worried about Publisher A getting wind of it then saying something like, "What's wrong? We're not good enough for you?" That definitely wouldn't be the case. I'm not snobbish when it comes to publishers I submit my books to, but I DO want to place my book with a publisher that has their books in bookstores, publishes a book in good condition and won't shut down immediately after the book comes out.

aka eraser
01-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Ah, ok, I guess I misunderstood. I thought the "them" in this sentence:

"But would it be unwise for me to go with them should they accept it?"

referred to Pub B and not A.

I'd say full steam ahead to Pub B. Worry about alternatives if they don't accept it. By then, C, D and E could be possible homes too.

Greenwolf103
01-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Thank you so much, Frank! That really puts it all into perspective. I'll go ahead and pitch to Publisher B!

NomadPress
01-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Dawn,
It's very unlikely that Publisher B would ever speak to Publisher A about a submission they received. Publishers tend to discuss books in progress rather than ones they are considering. I agree with Eraser--you don't owe Publisher A anything, and if they have closed their doors for awhile there's no point in waiting around for them to open again.

Greenwolf103
01-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Thank you! That's very helpful advice. :)