PDA

View Full Version : Woman raped in a dream, "rapist" imprisoned

jamiehall
05-17-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm trying to track down information about a real-life historical occurrence I've read about. This is what I remember:

A rich, influential woman (I think a noblewoman) was raped in a dream only, not in real life. She put the "rapist" in jail for this offense. Yes, this was a very long time ago. I think the man who was imprisoned was a writer.

I can't remember what country this happened in or any other details. Can anyone help me track down this information? Thanks!

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 03:51 AM
I'd recommend reading some of King James VI on Demonology, specifically the passages that deal with the concept of an incubus.

I'll dig through some of what I have and see if I can find anything like case you're referencing. It does ring a bell, and I want to say it took place in England around 1600, but I'm drawing a blank on names right now.

roach
05-17-2007, 05:24 AM
I can't help you with your specific query but it brought to mind something I had come across last year:

"In one of Plutarch's lives (Demetrius 27/ we find a story about the wise eighth-century B.C. Pharaoh called Bocchoris: A man had been smitten with love for the courtesan Thonis, but she was too expensive so he sated his desire for her in a dream. Thonis found out and sued for payment. The wise pharaoh resolved the case by ordering the man to bring the sum she had demanded into court. He told Thonis she could have its shadow. Four hundred years later the hetaira Lamia found fault with Bocchoris's judgement. Thonis should have gotten the money. For Thonis's desire was not satisfied by the shadow of gold, while her admirer's lust for her had been sated by his imaginings." from The Courtesan's Arts edited by Martha Feldman & Bonnie Gordon - p. 34

jamiehall
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Actually, it seems like he wrote something marginally important while in prison. It may have been his memoirs, but the memory is too fuzzy and I'm just not sure quite what it was.