Fight/Battle Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a historical manuscript with several battle scenes and a couple of individual fight scenes. This is set in the medieval period so it's all swords and crossbows, etc. Does anyone have any tips for making these scenes more dramatic?

Just to give a general idea I have....

A fist fight
A fight with two men using quaterstaff
A couple of forest ambushes
A sea battle

I found the sea battle particularly awkward to write. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Jim

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
I've got quite a few of those around. Love your longsword quote, by the way.

Thanks!

Jim

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
JB, take a gander at my LJ........there's a couple skirmishes I drescribe that I've gone through. Some are as confusing and awkward as real life is. Feel free to adapt them.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Welcome, Jimmy Boy.

My approach is to keep the POV tight and describe the fight from one person's perspective, or maybe two or three if it's a big battle. A few general pointers on what battle feels like:

Confusion. Nobody, including the commander, knows for sure what is going on. Soldiers can't see or hear much outside their immediate area, so they may not have any idea what's going on anywhere else. Men in the thick of the fight can't process much except what's in front of them, and men in quiet areas have very limited information and so might grow agitated as the fight wears on.

Noise. Noise and other sensations add up to assault your senses, adding to the confusion.

Fatigue. Battle usually comes after you have already conducted some strenuous activity: a long march, a river crossing, preparing your battlefield. Short sleep. Not enough food. You can't get enough rest beforehand, and you can't get enough air during the fight.

Fear. Some experienced soldiers can control the fear, especially after they know what to expect. Training can mitigate it somewhat. But soldiers who haven't been in battle before are more likely to be overcome by fear, to freeze or to make bad decisions because of it.

Anger. My personal experience the first time I realized those sorry SOBs were trying to kill me. I was pissed. Not blind with rage, but angry enough to be sure I'd be able to kill.

Unpredictability. Battles can go on for a long time, and it can seem as if nothing is happening until everything changes in a heartbeat. A line that was holding firm disintegrates. An area where nobody was is suddenly alive with enemy. Or the enemy that was fighting hard suddenly disappears.

I haven't looked at Van's LJ, but I'd bet beans to bullets you can find some good stuff there. And there are quite a few others on these boards who can give you some firsthand accounts as well. Feel free to narrow your questions until you have the answers you need.

Good luck!
HN

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Good one, Histry Nerd.

May I add to your list, euforia.

I've never fought with shields and spears, but I have fought the police in street battles. And when the anger and the violence reaches a point, the euphoria can set it. And it lifts you out of yourself.

You are then governed by instinct. All is now, and there is no reflection whatever. You may do things you would never have attempted sober. Pain and blood become rather meaningless. And when you win, it can be ecstasy.

Oh, and the compulsion to pluck prizes. Why I would need a police car side-view mirror, I don't know. But the feeling of returning to my friends with the blood-spattered thing in my hand, was indescribable.

(I don't do battle so much anymore, mind. This was in my youth.)

Status
Not open for further replies.