Quick Rejections

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Lately I've been getting 1-day turnarounds on my email rejections. Is there any way to generalize what's going on? Does it mean my query just sucks so bad they know right away? I have a feeling I know the answer....doesn't mean anything, and the meaning probably varies from agent to agent.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
You are absolutely right, it doesn't mean anything. I've gotten both requests and rejections within hours by email.

it never hurts to get your query critiqued, but the fast turnaround time in and of itself is not an indication that it sux. If you get no personalized rejections after dozens and dozens of rejections, then maybe you are seeing a trend.

just query WIDELY!!!

best of luck to you.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read, agents tend to know right away when reading a query. I don't get the impression that they put some aside and bite their nails over it for a few days. Maybe that happens occasionally, but since they have dozens, if not hundreds, to go through, I imagine if they're not won over at once they would just move to the next one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Query

One of the problems with e-mail queries is that it's far too easy to reject the writer without having to work at it. A swamped agent may take more time to read a snail mail query, but she probably will read it. A swamped agent is likely to just reject an e-mail query unread.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out an E-mail query over a month ago...almost 2 months, by now.

Nothing yet.

The real pain is, this person didn't want me to query anyone else at the same time...so now I'm just waiting.

When's a good time to move on?

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score

Nothing yet.

The real pain is, this person didn't want me to query anyone else at the same time...so now I'm just waiting.

I've never heard of not being able to query more than one agent at a time. Personally wouldn't want to be held hostage like that. I wouldn't leave it at one agent/publisher until there was a signed contract. The submission process is toooo slow to go one by one.
-Laura

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I've never run into an agent who doesn't want you to query other a gents. It's usually just if they ask for material that they want exclusive rights.

Nothing yet.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
If you don't get a response to an e-query in a week. you're probably not going to. (Take that from someone who probably sent out 100 e-queries.)

Query widely!!!:)

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
One of the problems with e-mail queries is that it's far too easy to reject the writer without having to work at it. A swamped agent may take more time to read a snail mail query, but she probably will read it. A swamped agent is likely to just reject an e-mail query unread.

That's what I've always believed (which is why I don't do email queries), but never knew for sure. Now I do. Thanks.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The majority of my requests for partials, and all my requests for fulls (including my eventual agent) came from snail mail queries. (Although responses sometimes came via e-mail.)

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
19 of all 22 requests for reads have come off equeries for me, and I've done PLENTY of both snail and e-queries. Eight of my current reads are from e-queries after they had rejected me earlier on a snail mail query. Granted, I had changed the title and reworked the query letter from when I sent out the snail mail queries, but still... I just really disagree with the statement that equeries don't produce results, because in my experience, they are the best.

I'd suggest you try both methods, and as everyone said, query widely. I've queried about 200 agents. If they take literary fiction and are legit, I've queried them.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
e-queries

E-queries can certainly work, but two thirds of agents still say they prefer snail queries, and take them more seriously.

I mean, of course e-queries can work well, but there are problems with them at times, and they are one heck of a lot easier to reject.

Stop looking at the good requests that come from e-queries, and start looking at the percentage of failures that come from e-queries. The numbers are staggering.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
James,
I think you're one of the people here I trust the most. But, just to play devil's advocate, I think I may have a problem with your logic. If e-queries are easier to reject, doesn't that mean they are also easier to accept?
Rob

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I also believe that equeries are probably easier to reject. Some I never have got an answer of rejection from the agent, but they usually state that, if they are not interestest they will not respond. With that being said, of all the snail mail queries sent as well as e-queries, I've received a request for a full and a partial from an e-querie. One querie I sent my first 50 pages and the other was based on the query alone. Go figure, it's a funny business that I've yet to figure out. I just keep writing and sending out queries, entering query hell in SYW, and keep my fingers, toes, all the hairs on my body crossed in hope someone will like my work. Good luck!