Publishing the first draft online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

I just read how one nonfiction writer put the first draft of his book online to solicit feedback. Then he took the feedback he got and used it for the the book's final draft.

Is this wise?

I don't know how long ago this happened or even if it still happens now.

I can understand posting SOME of your book's first draft, but the entire thing? Kind of boggles the mind....

biotales

Are you sure it was non-fiction. I have heard of fiction writers doing this but not non-fiction? Makes ya think!
Biotales

Tish Davidson

Don't do it

Not a good idea. There have been long discussions about whether posting mss on the web is equivalent to publishing it, and if this causes you to lose the ability to sell first rights. There is a good chance it will. If you want feedback, use a password protected critique group.

biotales

Tish that is just what I was thinking.... I have even discussed this with fiction writers but to no avail.... writers groups are a great way to work through any problems that a writer may have.
Biotales

Greenwolf103

Biotales: Yes, this was for a nonfiction book.

Tish, thanks for your input. I keep hearing about those "password protected groups" but don't know of any. Mind throwing me a few links, please?

--Dawn

biotales

I am not Tish but one of the best ways is to start your own writers group... I suggest this because at least you will have a head start on knowing who some of them are. Walking into a unkown writers group puts your work in harms way. Because these people are strangers to you...
It is not that hard to start a group... Yahoo has the best and most secure groups on line.
You have gotten to know many people on this board get a few of them together and form your own group...
Biotales.

Greenwolf103

Thanks, Bio. :) I'm actually signed up with some pretty good writing groups over at Yahoo! but it has been AGES since I've so much as made a peep over there that I don't think my suddenly reappearing asking for comments would be well received.

I'm not against forming a "group" of sorts here at the WC. But maybe this is something to think more about after the "move." Any other takers for this idea?

biotales

I just took a look at your site... Nice...
If you want to start a private group then you can start your own at yahoo. keep the group to a medium number and make sure the writiers are in all genres... then expand out... and make it password protective...
Biotales

Greenwolf103

Thanks for checking out my site. :D

I'll give that Yahoo idea some thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.